Fined after taking Chausson for hab check & service (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Without joining the Chausson owners Club on facebook, I cannot see the replies to the original post.
What's the consensus on there? Right or wrong?
Very similar to here a lot thinking it was not a necessary journey especially for two people, lots of criticism of the rules and people seeking to push them to the limit 👍

Deleted User
If your M.O.T. was due to expire, regardless of how many vehicles you own (assuming you need it M.O.T.'d) during this current lockdown you can have it M.O.T.d, in fact the Gov website states you MUST book a test.

I would argue given the original entry at the start of this thread that this journey was permitted (assuming that the occupants were not experiencing one of the covid relate criteria published on the government website). Ultimately it is for a court to decide on this and if it was me I would challenge this, assuming that the Hab check really was necessary to avoid a voided warranty on a very expensive personal asset. The advice provided by the criminal justice unit regarding secondary vehicle is wrong.

Clearly each individual will have their own view of right and wrong and limiting trips during these times are essential, but so long as precautions are taken and the excuse is reasonable (ultimately for a court to decide) then the trip is permitted.

Before 30 March 2020 or after 31 July 2020​

You must book an MOT as usual.
You must not take your vehicle for its MOT if:
You must stay at home (self-isolate) if any of these situations apply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If your M.O.T. was due to expire, regardless of how many vehicles you own (assuming you need it M.O.T.'d) during this current lockdown you can have it M.O.T.d, in fact the Gov website states you MUST book a test.

I would argue given the original entry at the start of this thread that this journey was permitted (
You must stay at home (self-isolate) if any of these situations apply.
Yebbut, according to the original post it was taken to the garage for a hab check and service - no mention of needing an MOT.

Deleted User
Yebbut, according to the original post it was taken to the garage for a hab check and service - no mention of needing an MOT.
'I would argue given the original entry at the start of this thread that this journey was permitted (assuming that the occupants were not experiencing one of the covid relate criteria published on the government website). Ultimately it is for a court to decide on this and if it was me I would challenge this, assuming that the Hab check really was necessary to avoid a voided warranty on a very expensive personal asset. The advice provided by the criminal justice unit regarding secondary vehicle is wrong.'

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
To all those who say you can't drive your motorhome at all as it is not essential.

Imagine your motorhome is in storage and the storage company phones you and says "Really sorry, but a vandal has broken the side window on your motorhome".

Would you jump in your car and drive to the storage depot to fix it ? Is that an essential journey ? Or would you say to the storage place, "Well can you just put duct tape across the window please, doesn't matter if rain gets in, I deal with it when I can make non-essential journeys.

Or what if the storage depot said "really sorry, but the MH next to yours caught fire, yours didn't suffer more than superficial damage". Would you be happy to wait a couple of months before you made the non-essential journey to view the damage ?
1st scenario, I would ask the storage company to tape it up. I would then contact my insurance company and ask them to send out an assessor to sort out getting it fixed. No need for me to travel.
2nd scenario, I would ask the storage company to make the vehicle secure and weather proof. I would then contact my insurance company to have the vehicle repaired. Once again no need for me to travel.

Happy now?

Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Since 2014
What is all the fuss about hab checks and warrantys. One? not essential. Two? my experence of warrantys are they are useless. The manufacturers will ignore warranty work and use any excuse to not do it.

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
I think many have lost sight on the fact that all these restrictions on our freedom are based on a flawed PCR test. If you were issued with a fine for speeding when you knew you were well within the limit, and then a few months later it transpired that the speed camera was faulty, you you be ok with that.
Sure there are people dying of covid, but many that are down as covid deaths would have died anyway, without a covid positive test. Evidence is coming out that covid has been put on death certificates when covid was not the cause of death.
I am not a covid denier, but I do think we are being lied to. The psychological warfare has done its job on so much of the population. Please look at the evidence behind what the gov puts out.
We are not being lied to about how full the hospitals are nor on how serious the effects of Covid 19 are on many. We have two family members fighting this on the front line, we know! We all need to do what we can to beat this, if we don't there'll be neither room nor indeed staff left in the hospitals to get us back to health.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
It is an untrue story. Lowdhams are not in Newark, and the comment - 'I've been in touch with the Justice service' - that's not an English comment either - it's a wind-up!

On the point of MOT's, if off the road you could SORN the vehicle until such time as you intend/are allowed to use it. If on the Public Highway it must have a current MOT, tax and insurance, and you would rightfully be allowed to arrange for a (local) MOT to be carried out, and drive to, and from it.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
'I would argue given the original entry at the start of this thread that this journey was permitted (assuming that the occupants were not experiencing one of the covid relate criteria published on the government website). Ultimately it is for a court to decide on this and if it was me I would challenge this, assuming that the Hab check really was necessary to avoid a voided warranty on a very expensive personal asset. The advice provided by the criminal justice unit regarding secondary vehicle is wrong.'
I've read on here that Chausson and other manufacturers announced that delaying the hab check will not invalidate the warranty and owners should have it done as soon as permitted.

From the Chausson website:

The due date of my yearly watertightness control happened during the containment. Is my vehicle still under warranty?

Yes: as this situation is exceptional and to avoid precipitation at the reopening of dealerships, we have planned a 6-month extension.

However, your next annual control will have to be done by the original deadline (+/- 2 months vs anniversary date of the 1st registration).

Source:
News Archives - Chausson (motorhomes-chausson.co.uk)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
It is an untrue story. Lowdhams are not in Newark,
It's 13 miles from Newark, if I was travelling 75 miles there I would say its "newark" as that is the nearest town ifi was travelling on the a1.

Screenshot_20210131_104636_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It is an untrue story. Lowdhams are not in Newark, and the comment - 'I've been in touch with the Justice service' - that's not an English comment either - it's a wind-up!
Maybe so...BUT it has been jolly entertaining...don't you think...😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Boxer
Exp
three years
We often go to the supermarket shopping in our 27ft motorhome. Regarding MOT, you must get your car/ Bike/ Motorhome MOTd otherwise it is not insured without the certificate even if it is not on the road and to even park it outside your house it must be taxed, insured and MOTd.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We often go to the supermarket shopping in our 27ft motorhome. Regarding MOT, you must get your car/ Bike/ Motorhome MOTd otherwise it is not insured without the certificate even if it is not on the road and to even park it outside your house it must be taxed, insured and MOTd.
Not necessarily so. If it is not on the public highway it doesn't need to be taxed or MOTd. Insurers seem to have differring rules regarding insurance.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The law doesn't care how rich you are or how expensive your toys cost.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Had mine booked for an MOT last week BUT the battery decided to would not start the engine so cancelled, booked again for the 3rd Feb I have the booking in writing so I hope I don't get caught out.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Not anywhere near true, not even close. I’ve had many motorbikes insured that haven’t had tax or mot. They were off road bikes. What about vintage that don’t need either mot or tax?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
1st scenario, I would ask the storage company to tape it up. I would then contact my insurance company and ask them to send out an assessor to sort out getting it fixed. No need for me to travel.
2nd scenario, I would ask the storage company to make the vehicle secure and weather proof. I would then contact my insurance company to have the vehicle repaired. Once again no need for me to travel.

Happy now?

Yeah, got to say I love the trust you place in people to look after your property. I would be straight in my car to go and check out my property.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
my Chausson went into the dealer 4th November 2020 for warranty work and it’s still there. No rush to get it back and free storage
Just make sure your insurance company knows about it being away from home for such a long time and are happy to continue with the cover as some may no longer do so, and you should never assume it will be covered on the dealer's premises.

I think it is more about the general condition in insurance policies including house insurance to maintain the insured property. A water damage claim can be rejected if it is caused by a leaky roof that is down to the insured's failure to maintain. I doubt that Hab services are specifically mentioned, at least not in my policy, but might be implied under that general condition although that is a stretch of interpretation.
I think the comments is in relation to the 'legal' requirement of the warranty contract, ie with the manufacturer, not a legal issue to do with the insurance company. There is never any requirement to have a hab check done by an insurance company as part of their normal cover, perhaps it a vehicle had been repaired to confirm it was safe afterwards but other than that I can't see why they'd be interested.

You don't need a MOT if it is off-road (ie not on the public highway, in a public car park etc) however some insurers stipulate that a current MOT is required for their cover but this is a rarity.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Yeah, got to say I love the trust you place in people to look after your property. I would be straight in my car to go and check out my property.
So you would class that as essential? Hmm, having worked in the emergency services for thirty years believe me, I know what essential means. You on the other hand???

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
So you would class that as essential? Hmm, having worked in the emergency services for thirty years believe me, I know what essential means. You on the other hand???

I will proudly stand up and say that looking after my hard-worked for property is VERY essential to me !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I haven't read all the comments but I'm astonished that many seem to accept this massive loss of our freedoms for a mild disease that kills old people like me. I caught the 1957 'flu, the one that liked to kill children, and the 1968 'flu which killed the equivalent, in today's population, of 130,000 people of all ages. We didn't stop people travelling, working, schooling or fine and arrest ordinary people in their lawful daily life. This SARS-Cov-2 virus is not doing any real harm to the vast majority of our society and yet the vast majority comply with outrageous restrictions that are not dissimilar to the reviled communist USSR and China. This is the worst year for deaths since 2008 and what did we do then? Sweden has had the worst year since 2013, but their population is now older and larger so it's proportionally less, and they have not created a Police State. Why do people comply with this devastation of our Human Rights?

I think many have lost sight on the fact that all these restrictions on our freedom are based on a flawed PCR test. If you were issued with a fine for speeding when you knew you were well within the limit, and then a few months later it transpired that the speed camera was faulty, you you be ok with that.
Sure there are people dying of covid, but many that are down as covid deaths would have died anyway, without a covid positive test. Evidence is coming out that covid has been put on death certificates when covid was not the cause of death.
I am not a covid denier, but I do think we are being lied to. The psychological warfare has done its job on so much of the population. Please look at the evidence behind what the gov puts out.
It is sad that people are dying of covid, or suffering long term effects. However, it should not mean that the whole of society is shut down. Many many people are suffering terribly because of the restrictions. Are their lives worth less because they haven't got covid.

I don't know what your intention were with these posts but they are not appreciated by others as I'm sure you have now realised from their comments. We've pretty much had our 'fill' of these things on here, in many other threads, which have already gone over all the if, buts, maybes etc and whilst I wouldn't want to stifle discussion, with many of the forum members have or have had covid, know of friends and family who have it now or have had it, as well of some who have been left with health issues afterwards, some quite serious, not to mention those who have lost their lives, I think I speak for many when I ask you to think again about making such comments.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Regarding MOT, you must get your car/ Bike/ Motorhome MOTd otherwise it is not insured without the certificate even if it is not on the road and to even park it outside your house it must be taxed, insured and MOTd.
Cor Blimey!! How many more people are going to spout this fake info?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
And some insurance companies say the vehicle must have a current MOT or the insurance is void.
In all my 50 odd years of running many different vehicles, no insurance company I've been with has stipulated this.

Any insurance company that says this should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back