Fined after taking Chausson for hab check & service (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You could always tax it on your phone after it has passed it’s test. Before driving home. This would keep you completely legal.

I think you might be waiting quite some time.

Updates are not logged instantly on DVLA system....

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I think you might be waiting quite some time.

Updates are not logged instantly on DVLA system....
i taxed my wifes car last week on line, 10 mins after passing MoT test.

instant acknowledgement and email confirming vehicle was taxed (it wouldnt allow us to tax it previously as MoT was due to run out before taxation period ended), so the system must have updated immediately re MoT success to allow tax to be paid ...

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
From the person fined.
Thx for feedback, I have spoken to the justice dept today, they have been very clear the MH is considered as a secondary vehicle in 99% of cases and therefore if you own a primary other vehicle it is illegal to visit a dealership for any reason. Dealers are only allowed to carry out essential safety work by law, that does not include MOT or checks. Some dealers are ignoring this apparently but the ministry of Transport is carrying out checks to check on dealers of HGVs, PSVs and class 4 vehicle's (MH)
how does that work if you park your vehicle on the road where you need both mot and road tax?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deb1962

Free Member
Feb 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
New to this
Copied from the Chausson forum.

Be very aware, I just collected my 640 from Lowdhams Newark where I took it for habitation check and service yesterday. On the way home to Northampton I was stopped by the Police and explained the reason for my journey. my wife and I were immediately issued with a two hundred pound fine each as the Police said that this was not an essential journey even though I explained that I would lose my warrenty if the hat check was not carried out. It has turned out to be a very expensive service.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
What a stupid statement, are we allowed to pick and choose the laws that we abide by now??
most people do, speeding being the most obvious one that is overlooked by drivers,

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019

Rule 1 Be Nice.​

This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion however small. If you are not sure if your post will add to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree. We do not allow personal attacks of any kind. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are prohibited. As is telling others to “Get a life “ “Grow up“ or that they or their comments are “silly” “stupid“ “Crap“ or “Bullshit“ As soon as a discussion gets even a little bit personal it will go downhill fast. So don’t get personal “You Would Say That“ or “Only an idiot would do that“ makes it personal. Don’t do it, it ruins the fun atmosphere for everyone.

Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
I rang 101 this morning and asked if it was OK to take my motorhome for its MOT next week. The person I spoke to said it was absolutely fine. If I was stopped I would just have to give some evidence that I was travelling for an MOT.

Lowdhams

MH Trader
Feb 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
Copied from the Chausson forum.

Be very aware, I just collected my 640 from Lowdhams Newark where I took it for habitation check and service yesterday. On the way home to Northampton I was stopped by the Police and explained the reason for my journey. my wife and I were immediately issued with a two hundred pound fine each as the Police said that this was not an essential journey even though I explained that I would lose my warrenty if the hat check was not carried out. It has turned out to be a very expensive service.
Good Morning, please be aware Lowdhams are not encouraging customers to come on site for servicing and both branches are currently closed due to the National Lockdown - we have not been open at all during January and also are not based in Newark. I am not sure where this customer has been but please rest assured Lowdhams is continuing to follow all government guidance and will continue to do so. As soon as we are able to reopen we will make this clear on our website and on social media. I hope this clarifies matters and hope everyone is keeping safe and well. Thank you.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Is there a UK (English) version of this. Manx Law is usually copied from English Law. But this defines essential travel in the IOM and it is the law.

<Broken link removed>

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I’m at a quandary.....Moho is booked in for its yearly mot at the end of February. It’s been booked before Xmas as they only like to do big stuff on a Saturday. The test station is, at best, 200 yds from where we live..... but it’s next door to the cop shop......so, do I take all the furnishings etc out of the Moho, empty the fridge of back up beer and wine, leave the wife at home, walk back home, risk running the gauntlet of plod catching me.
I usually take the van for a 30 min drive to warm the engine, use the brakes etc, but now I think I shall just let it run on the drive for a while, harming the environment and risk the wrath of Greta...... oh what to do 😂😂

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

See Post 132

Lowdhams

MH Trader​

Feb 5, 2020
Funster No68,544
MH Don't own one yet ?????????
Exp i'm a newbie ?????????

Hee! Hee!

We all know that honesty is the best policy.

Are you really admitting the above two!!!

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Is there a UK (English) version of this. Manx Law is usually copied from English Law. But this defines essential travel in the IOM and it is the law.

<Broken link removed>
Just a point to note

The Manx version says you can take a vehicle to a garage to be repaired. My lawyer friends view is that the Habitation area of a Motorhome does not constitute being part of the vehicle so taking it to be serviced/repaired would be an offence. He did say that it would be a tough one to prosecute on though.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Just a point to note

The Manx version says you can take a vehicle to a garage to be repaired. My lawyer friends view is that the Habitation area of a Motorhome does not constitute being part of the vehicle so taking it to be serviced/repaired would be an offence. He did say that it would be a tough one to prosecute on though.
and i assume 'civil offence' not criminal, therefore reasonable doubt creeps in ....

Aug 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 745
Exp
Since August 14th 2019
We have been full-time touring uk since we sold our house and most of our "stuff" in August 2019. Have managed to survive past and present lockdowns ok. Our hab survey is due within +/- 6 weeks of April 6th so have booked survey plus heating service and rectifying fault on cooker grill for April 14th, hoping that we will be allowed out to play by then. Until then, moho is staying put and we use our Aygo for essential travel - click and collect shopping and helping out our vulnerable daughter. Bought a cheap electric toaster when grill fault first developed but it's no good for cheese on toast as cheese keeps sliding off!

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
We have been full-time touring uk since we sold our house and most of our "stuff" in August 2019. Have managed to survive past and present lockdowns ok. Our hab survey is due within +/- 6 weeks of April 6th so have booked survey plus heating service and rectifying fault on cooker grill for April 14th, hoping that we will be allowed out to play by then. Until then, moho is staying put and we use our Aygo for essential travel - click and collect shopping and helping out our vulnerable daughter. Bought a cheap electric toaster when grill fault first developed but it's no good for cheese on toast as cheese keeps sliding off!
Just lay your toaster on its side :giggle: :giggle:

Disclaimer:- No damage claims will be entertained, although may give us a laugh.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
In the OP's case, perhaps somebody complained to the police? Our van is our only vehicle, so under lockdown or not I use it once a week or so for the heavy shopping such as vegetables, potatoes and milk (the store is only a mile away). But I have on occasion been glared at by a public spirited member of the public. I'm sure if the police were nearby, that responsible person would have complained to police. BUT a couple of days ago I dropped it off at an en route garage for its overdue service. Coincidentally when I got back, I read this post. Was I a naughty boy? Oh yes, I also used it this week to to go for our vaccinations (9 miles away).

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’m at a quandary.....Moho is booked in for its yearly mot at the end of February. It’s been booked before Xmas as they only like to do big stuff on a Saturday. The test station is, at best, 200 yds from where we live..... but it’s next door to the cop shop......so, do I take all the furnishings etc out of the Moho, empty the fridge of back up beer and wine, leave the wife at home, walk back home, risk running the gauntlet of plod catching me.
I usually take the van for a 30 min drive to warm the engine, use the brakes etc, but now I think I shall just let it run on the drive for a while, harming the environment and risk the wrath of Greta...... oh what to do 😂😂

I’ll grass you up now........they’ll be a full armed response team, couple of dogs and a trained negotiator waiting for you. Keep your hands on the steering wheel, and only move when instructed..... ::bigsmile:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
As our MH is due for a MOT and sorned, rang them and was told it was legal drive to the garage 6 miles round trip. While it was sorned. So long as you travelled straight there and back.

Colyboy
But you must have a pre booked appointment. Without it you run risk of prosecution for tax and mot offence. In that situation your are legal to travel to and from the mot station. Ensure valid insurance.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I pay my road tax monthly by Direct Debit, MOT expired last month got me wondering if they would take payment seemingly they have on checking website
EC37EDD4-83CD-4611-B578-B54538137E1B.jpeg
. Had to cancel MOT booking couple of weeks ago because of ice and snow. Rebooked for next Tuesday only to find out yesterday they are closing our road for resurfacing Mon and Tues you couldnt make it up🤪🤪🤪

Aug 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 745
Exp
Since August 14th 2019
Just lay your toaster on its side :giggle: :giggle:

Disclaimer:- No damage claims will be entertained, although may give us a laugh.
Tried that but other side of toast without cheese on burns and when it pops, cheesy toast always lands cheese side down on carpet. Tried to catch it but burnt my fingers!

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
and i assume 'civil offence' not criminal, therefore reasonable doubt creeps in ....
Its a criminal offence here. Plenty been in jail already. Criminal record too.

<Broken link removed>

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think theres a big difference between you and someone travelling 75 miles for a hab service with two in the MH. I think you're odds of being stopped are close to zero and of being given anything more than advice even lower.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I think theres a big difference between you and someone travelling 75 miles for a hab service with two in the MH. I think you're odds of being stopped are close to zero and of being given anything more than advice even lower.
I have a feeling the police will be much nicer if you are local to home . In my case it’s not the actual closest garage but the closest that can do my size of vehicle , it’s probably 6-8 miles away 👍🏻

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I pay my road tax monthly by Direct Debit, MOT expired last month got me wondering if they would take payment seemingly they have on checking websiteView attachment 461198. Had to cancel MOT booking couple of weeks ago because of ice and snow. Rebooked for next Tuesday only to find out yesterday they are closing our road for resurfacing Mon and Tues you couldnt make it up🤪🤪🤪
I believe a SORN is best option assuming you keep the vehicle off the road. If you choose to have mot carried out make absolutely sure you have a timed booking then all legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back