No satellite dish how to get TV? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Don’t want to put a dish on our next MH. But we do like to watch tv. I understand you can watch tv via iPads and computers. But how? We use bog standard phones not smart ones.
Please if someone knows how to do this PLEASE explain in VERY simple terms.
Thanks in advance.

Colyboy

Reactions: f6c
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
use an amazon fire stick unless you have a smart tv with inbuilt tinternet. and then you need to tether ( hook up , bluetooth ) to either a samrt phone with decent amount of data or a mifi unit.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Sorry for been thick. Is the fire stick for recording and playing tv . We want to watch tv live. Streaming how does that work?
Colyboy

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
fire stick will do live TV and a lot of other stuff if set up correctly. It would take me a long while to go into all the detail. suggest ask google how to set up live TV on a firestick , then look up how do i set i steaming on my motorhome TV .

not being difficult but there is loads of info available including in past threads on the forum. Then you ahve a load of good info not just my opinion.

good luck and happy reading.

it really is not that difficult once you have done your homework.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We use a Firestick and MiFi with roof aerial.

The mifi provides data, and the firestick uses the data to play programs via apps that are on the device. It’s a bit fiddly to setup, but, you put the BBC app on the firestick, and agree to their terms. Then when away you plug in firestick, which auto connects to mifI, open BBC app then choose to watch live tv from a BBC channel, or watch something from their library.

It’s then similar with ITV, CHNL4, and so on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
If you use a mifi with a data sim it is possible to watch tv on a laptop by simply using the appropriate app, BBC iplayer, ITV, all4 etc, don't need a firestick just the internet connection from the mifi.
If you have a tv in the van and want to watch on the bigger screen it is possible to connect with an HDMI cable, maybe not as convenient as a firedtick but is what we have done for a while now.

Reactions: DBK

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Colyboy, you’r as wise as I am, I’v got a Fire Stick and an i phone but I don’t seem to be able to get anything to work on the Avtex tv. I’v got the tv apps on the phone as well as my i pad, I’ll do what’s been suggested Google when next in the van.
I have a tv aerial and an Oyster DX sat system which both work ok but occasionally parked under trees or in a bad signal area it would be nice to have a “ simple “ option.
We’re never to old to learn.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
plug the firestick into a HDMI slot find it in the tv menu link it to your internet source ( phone , mifi etc ) add the relevant apps to the firestick at home before going away.

and choosee what to watch and watch away..;)(y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I have one of these connected for watching the free channels on my TV then Firestick plunged in and using phone connection.
322F690E-783D-40F3-B363-09385769410F.jpeg

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Just buy a small aerial and stick it near a window.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
MiFi (£10 for 30gb contract, which you can suspend for up to 180 days), watch through iPad. (y)

MiFi system cost £299 fitted.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I'd get a small digital magnetic aerial for about a fiver off ebay if I was tech savvy which im not I'd put a link up

Deleted User
First you need a device with internet access like a phone or mifi, hotspot facility and loads of data, and a TV with an HDMI port. Then get an amazo Firestick, tether them together and Bob's your uncle🌝

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use a MiFi with a rooftop aerial and an Android TV box prefer it to a Firestick. There are apps you can load that allow you to watch live TV.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I'd get a small digital magnetic aerial for about a fiver off ebay if I was tech savvy which im not I'd put a link up

We use one of these in most places in the UK, brilliant

Amazon product ASIN B007JPOX8O

I have found the Necvox aerial to be far better than the August one - but it's thirty seven notes....

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
A warning about the amazon fire stick if going to Europe. Now we are not in the EU, the benefit of the digital single market will not apply, so it gets a bit more complicated as we will have to use a vpn to make it work. Don’t know what that involves yet

Deleted User
A warning about the amazon fire stick if going to Europe. Now we are not in the EU, the benefit of the digital single market will not apply, so it gets a bit more complicated as we will have to use a vpn to make it work. Don’t know what that involves yet
Not so, if you're using a data card registered in the UK to connect to the web you won't need a VPN. We've done it this way for years. Things will only change if the mobile companies change their EU roaming policies and there's no sign of that in the near future. You may only need a VPN if tethered to a local internet source in Europe.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Sorry colyboy, my previous reply wasn’t very complete.

We deliberately don’t have a TV on board, but take an iPad instead, with films already downloaded from Netflix or Amazon. If there’s an urgent need to watch live TV, we create a Wi-fi hotspot on one of our mobile phones and then join that hotspot on the iPad.

We can then use the Freeview app to watch live TV.

One alternative is to buy a mifi unit and a SIM card to go in it, but the mobile phone’s hotspot generally works really well.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Have a look around this web site

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Not so, if you're using a data card registered in the UK to connect to the web you won't need a VPN. We've done it this way for years. Things will only change if the mobile companies change their EU roaming policies and there's no sign of that in the near future. You may only need a VPN if tethered to a local internet source in Europe.
Can anyone abroad confirm this is still the case as from 1st of January Sky, Netflix, BT & Amazon all started restricting UK content to those in Europe as no longer part of the Single Digital agreement.

UK TV streaming subscribers can no longer access live sport when in EU | TV streaming | The Guardian

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Last edited:

Deleted User
Can anyone abroad confirm this is still the case as from 1st of January Sky, Netflix, BT & Amazon all started restricting UK content to those in Europe as no longer part of the Single Digital agreement.

UK TV streaming subscribers can no longer access live sport when in EU | TV streaming | The Guardian
I can confirm that it is possible to stream BBC iplayer, ITV, All4 etc using a UK sim, don't have any of the others but I would think if the very fussy BBC works then the others will.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back