No satellite dish how to get TV? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
So do I šŸ˜

Also there are UKTV apps in Play Store that work on Android devices if you can't be bothered to set up the TV.
Yes I have them on my phone but I can't cast to the smart tv that I bought last year, apparently I need an android tv.
I will probably shortly be having to use a local sim in Portugal so was hoping to cast as I can't download a VPN onto the TV, at least not the one that I have a 5 year subscription for. I will have to connect via HDMI from my windows tablet for the time being.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
I spent the morning trying to get my Firesick to synchronise with my i phone, I selected ā€œ hot spotā€ on my phone, Firestick plugged into HDMI port and power, selected service ( ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”-i phone) search starts and continues untill ā€œ no signal found ā€œ tried again and again, no good !
Ah, only got 3G signal here whenI checked, the Firestick is a 4G so Iā€™ll have to try some where to see if it works with a better signal.
I turned on BBC i player app on my phone and after a while a very bad broken programme so I suppose the signal is the problem.
TV working ok on aerial and on sat system when selected so I conclude the Firestick is just more hassle.

Confused.me

Deleted User
I spent the morning trying to get my Firesick to synchronise with my i phone, I selected ā€œ hot spotā€ on my phone, Firestick plugged into HDMI port and power, selected service ( ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”-i phone) search starts and continues untill ā€œ no signal found ā€œ tried again and again, no good !
Ah, only got 3G signal here whenI checked, the Firestick is a 4G so Iā€™ll have to try some where to see if it works with a better signal.
I turned on BBC i player app on my phone and after a while a very bad broken programme so I suppose the signal is the problem.
TV working ok on aerial and on sat system when selected so I conclude the Firestick is just more hassle.

Confused.me
Do you mean 4k Firestick, this refers to the picture quality not the signal? It will still work you only need 3g for a video signal, anything over is a bonus. Have you set the phone Hotspot up correctly with a password which you'll then need to tether the firestick during initial setup? Once up and running go through the firestick settings menu to find Data Monitoring and turn it on. This allows you to set lower quality which uses less data but you won't know the difference.
Good luck.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie

Confused.me
Try the Firestick when youā€™ve got a decent reception on your phone (and at least have streaming video playing on the phone well).
The Firestick isnā€™t 4G. But maybe you just mean the phone only getting 3G reception was the issue.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Youā€™re right, it was K4. Thankā€™s I will give it another try tomorrow .

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
If Colyboy doesā€™nt reply, he picked up a Skillet set from me, not heard if they have used it yet.

Sep 13, 2020
Somewhere surrounded by sea
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Donā€™t want to put a dish on our next MH. But we do like to watch tv. I understand you can watch tv via iPads and computers. But how? We use bog standard phones not smart ones.
Please if someone knows how to do this PLEASE explain in VERY simple terms.
Thanks in advance.

Colyboy
Sorry for appearing a bit thick but what sort of new van are you purchasing that doesn't have a TV aerial already fitted on the roof?
Take care all and stay safe

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Sorry for appearing a bit thick but what sort of new van are you purchasing that doesn't have a TV aerial already fitted on the roof?
Take care all and stay safe
TV aerial wonā€™t work in Europe.

Sep 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto trail
Exp
I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk mobile wifi then connecting through a ROKU streaming device.
The allows me to get to Netflix, ITV Hub and all the rest. During the summer I also used a months worth of NOW to get Sky entertainment. Unfortunately this setup also means that I can work away from home

Ed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Iā€™ve never had any luck unless Iā€™m in Northern France.
Maybe the odd English channel here and there.
You said it didn't work nothing about English channels. Works all over Europe on local channels.
With terrestrial digital broadcasts if they are broadcasting an English or American program or film you can turn the dubbing off in the sound setting and have the original English soundtrack.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk mobile wifi then connecting through a ROKU streaming device.
The allows me to get to Netflix, ITV Hub and all the rest. During the summer I also used a months worth of NOW to get Sky entertainment. Unfortunately this setup also means that I can work away from home

Ed
another vote for Netgear Nighthawk (M2) ........ i got mine through EE so didnt pay the full price !! well worth considering though other mifi's with a decent aerial on the roof will get a signal anywhere in Europe i suspect at least 90% of the time

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
You said it didn't work nothing about English channels. Works all over Europe on local channels.
With terrestrial digital broadcasts if they are broadcasting an English or American program or film you can turn the dubbing off in the sound setting and have the original English soundtrack.
I agree, an aerial would work anywhere and thatā€™s fine if you want to spend all evening trawling through the different channels to end up watching an American sit com with Spanish subtitles.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Spain are an example of a host broadcaster with terrestrial digital tv that have an ENG soundtrack you can select in audio choices.
But is it really common?

In the analogue days, when I used to travel I was lucky if the host broadcaster kept the English soundtrack and added subtitles for the local language.
Mostly they replaced the spoken language with local dialect ā˜¹ļø - dubbed

Since the switch to digital broadcasts Iā€™m usually to busy for telly to track whatā€™s on telly let alone the language šŸ¤Ŗ

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Why not use SKY ? I know you cannot have BBC but if you really need to watch a prog you could add BBC i player.
Best of all it is sooooo cheap !

Get a SKY mobile SIM put it in your phone and activate it. Go on line and add SKY Go for the phone and bingo you can watch all Sky progs that you get at home on your phone. AND its data free !

You do not pay/use data when watching SKY TV. ALSO as an extra your Sim will keep any unused data in a piggybank for 3 years for the times you need to watch BBC.

I realise you will not want to watch on your phone so 'cast' your phone to the TV and all is just the same as at home except for BBC. Or if you don't have a TV but a laptop you can set up a hotspot with your phone and link your laptop to it. Add Sky Go to your laptop and you now have free tv on your laptop anywhere you can get a Sky Mobile signal.

Cost of Sky sim is one of the cheapest Ā£8 for 2Gb data and all-in Mins and texts. BUT if you buy via Top Cashback when Sky have a sale then like me you get Ā£35 cashback making your monthly cost only Ā£5. Just cant beat it - I have not raised my sat dish on the van in 2 years !

By the way it is still free throughout Europe as well !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Spain are an example of a host broadcaster with terrestrial digital tv that have an ENG soundtrack you can select in audio choices.
But is it really common?
I think it's common throughout Europe I've used it in France, Spain & Portugal.
These days I tend to use data.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Why not use Sky ? I know you cannot have BBC but if you really need to watch a prog you could add BBC i player.
What do you call so cheap?
How much is 20 to 30 GB of data a week going to cost which is what you need to watch TV every night.
Also is there a monthly cap on data most networks limit you to 20 to 25 GB a month.

madroy

Free Member
Apr 23, 2018
Funster No
Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Lenny - I did say FREE. You do not pay for data when watching Sky TV absolutely nothing.

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Lenny - we went to France for 6 weeks and used Sky every day yet I still put some data into the piggybank out of my 2Gb allowance per month. I didn't bother with BBC but watched other news channels whilst away and recorded BBC at home to watch on my return. I could also record via my phone on my Sky box at home - Home Sky subs may seem expensive but it does offer great facilities if you both know about them, and use them

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Why not use SKY ? I know you cannot have BBC but if you really need to watch a prog you could add BBC i player.
What can you watch via Sky Mobile if youā€™re NOT a Sky TV subscriber?
Canā€™t see much clarity at Broken Link Removed
But the free data for watching Sky GO and the data rollover does look good (y)

edit: OK you are a Sky TV subscriber šŸ¤Ŗ
Maybe someone else knows...

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Yes Lenny you need a SKY account to have Sky Go on your appliances eg laptop tablet phone etc. Since most people who have a Sat dish on their van (according to my estimation) also link it to a sky dish as that way they get UK programming the same as they watch at home - incl BBC. That was my position but having found out that Sky offers free data when watching Sky TV I bought a cheap Ā£45 sh phone added a sim and took it to France. Most pleased with the provision. There is always difficulty with Sat as the satellites change and you need to update software and if you are on holiday its no help until you get home - That has happened to me twice and the Sky mobile alternative was the initial reason for my trial with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back