No satellite dish how to get TV? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thats not a cheap option, cheapest Sky contract is £324 a year plus the cost of the Sim. I don't understand how you can Class that as soooooo cheap.
I actually don't know anyone with a Sky account.

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Going to Australia isn't cheap if you have to buy the plane first but since more than 60% of the UK have Sky contracts - as I do - I am making a suggestion for a cheap way of TV viewing for the majority.

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Lenny
I posted on this thread to help the person who placed the initial post and I thought I had done that. I was not trying to change your camping lifestyle or encourage you to spend wastefully - I am sorry if you felt I was.

Original post...........
Don’t want to put a dish on our next MH. But we do like to watch tv. I understand you can watch tv via iPads and computers. But how? We use bog standard phones not smart ones.
Please if someone knows how to do this PLEASE explain in VERY simple terms.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny
I posted on this thread to help the person who placed the initial post and I thought I had done that. I was not trying to change your camping lifestyle or encourage you to spend wastefully - I am sorry if you felt I was.
Doesn't worry me at all, it would have great if you didn't need a Sky account, that's the stumbling block as it's not cheap if you don't have one.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry for appearing a bit thick but what sort of new van are you purchasing that doesn't have a TV aerial already fitted on the roof?
Take care all and stay safe

Our Adria did not come with one as standard and glad as did not want one. as already pointed out only use is in UK.

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
Colyboy, you’r as wise as I am, I’v got a Fire Stick and an i phone but I don’t seem to be able to get anything to work on the Avtex tv. I’v got the tv apps on the phone as well as my i pad, I’ll do what’s been suggested Google when next in the van.
I have a tv aerial and an Oyster DX sat system which both work ok but occasionally parked under trees or in a bad signal area it would be nice to have a “ simple “ option.
We’re never to old to learn.
We have the same, but added an Apple TV, hdmi to Avtex. Great for streaming. It actually shares the same hdmi cable as the Skybox.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
The option that suits my needs is a free-standing sat dish. We had a roof-mounted dish on our first MH and of the hundred or so sites we visited only twice did we find the van had to be moved a few feet to avoid an obstacle. However, with the free-standing dish and a long extension cable we've yet to fail to get a signal.
We haven't got a Sky contract, just rely on either Free-to-View or Freesat; I think our Avtex tuner is the former. That allows Mrs Despicable to get her dose of Emmerdale Street and Coronation Farm.
A downside is for it to work as far south as Spain, you'll evidently need a dish the size of an Olympic swimming-pool; but I'm sure someone will clarify that. I know a couple of years ago, a 65cm dish worked fine as far south as the Dordogne.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back