Fined after taking Chausson for hab check & service (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Copied from the Chausson forum.

Be very aware, I just collected my 640 from Lowdhams Newark where I took it for habitation check and service yesterday. On the way home to Northampton I was stopped by the Police and explained the reason for my journey. my wife and I were immediately issued with a two hundred pound fine each as the Police said that this was not an essential journey even though I explained that I would lose my warrenty if the hat check was not carried out. It has turned out to be a very expensive service.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Copied from the Chausson forum.

Be very aware, I just collected my 640 from Lowdhams Newark where I took it for habitation check and service yesterday. On the way home to Northampton I was stopped by the Police and explained the reason for my journey. my wife and I were immediately issued with a two hundred pound fine each as the Police said that this was not an essential journey even though I explained that I would lose my warrenty if the hat check was not carried out. It has turned out to be a very expensive service.
Don't pay it, contest it in court. I'd dare bet it won't get to that stage.

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
From the person fined.
Thx for feedback, I have spoken to the justice dept today, they have been very clear the MH is considered as a secondary vehicle in 99% of cases and therefore if you own a primary other vehicle it is illegal to visit a dealership for any reason. Dealers are only allowed to carry out essential safety work by law, that does not include MOT or checks. Some dealers are ignoring this apparently but the ministry of Transport is carrying out checks to check on dealers of HGVs, PSVs and class 4 vehicle's (MH)

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Taken from Chausson site

‘Please do not worry.

We understand that the restrictions currently in place may affect your ability to present your vehicle for a pre-booked annual habitation service.

During this period, we will not penalise our Customers for a late service, provided that the service is carried out as soon as possible once the situation is resolved.

You do not need to contact our Customer Care team to rearrange.’

Each will have their own view but it seems Chausson don’t seem to think a hab service is ‘essential’?

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
The manufacturer in this case Chausson should have made a point of telling their dealers to delay without penalty habitation services until this pandemic is over. Bailey told their dealers that a 6 month extension was granted on hab checks adding a nice rip off clause that the next hab service would have to be on the anniversary of the original date.

I have some sympathy with the original poster as Lowdhams have gained from encouraging the poster to travel to their site when actually they should be closed.

Interestingly had the poster been travelling 25 miles to his nearest Class 4 Centre for a pre booked MOT that would have been perfectly legal.

Unless the Police are prepared to set up road block checkpoints, fining the odd individual seems wrong to me. The traffic in South London at the moment is very little different to normal during daytime hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
So now I am worried about my MOT for my motorhome . I guess I shouldn’t take it to the garage now but if they are open then i would have thought this was ok . Confused now .
Unlike many offences I think this is all down to the individual officer's interpretation. As far as the OP goes what has he to lose in appealing?
How do you interpret essential? An MOT is not only essential but a legal requirement.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
So now I am worried about my MOT for my motorhome . I guess I shouldn’t take it to the garage now but if they are open then i would have thought this was ok . Confused now .
i am surprised about the comment about MOT, but I guess the argument is garages are open to support key workers and essential vehicles. but i am glad i took mine the 2 miles for its mot without issue.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think a tellling off would have been more appropriate

If they only got told off I doubt we'd be reading about it and reinforcing the Essental Travel Only message.

IMO £200 wasn't enough. We should be threatening to impound vehicles too. No mixed messsaging, nothing hard to understand, Essential Travel Only :doh:

Last edited:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Unlike many offences I think this is all down to the individual officer's interpretation. As far as the OP goes what has he to lose in appealing?
How do you interpret essential? An MOT is not only essential but a legal requirement.
Only to use the vehicle on the public roads. We can’t go anywhere at the moment so not essential. My motorbike MOT ran out beginning of January but the bike is not essential transport so it’s staying locked away in the garage. It’ll get tested when we are allowed to out to play again.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Surely an MOT is a safety issue check ,so should be allowed.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I think a tellling off would have been more appropriate but, yes, a bit foolhardy to do it
I’ve got my story ready for the police .
I am taking my motorhome for the MOT because unlike the first lockdown , MOT stations are open and no extension of MOT has been given . I can also say it’s the only vehicle I “own “ which is true as my car is a company car .
I think it was the fact he took it for a habitation check and tried to use the warranty as an excuse was a mistake

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Why? The motorhome is not essential unless it’s the owners only transport. Not many are. It can sit at home until we are allowed out to play again. Then get it tested.
Some keep thier vehicles on the road, where it requires tax and MOT.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I’ve got my story ready for the police .
I am taking my motorhome for the MOT because unlike the first lockdown , MOT stations are open and no extension of MOT has been given . I can also say it’s the only vehicle I “own “ which is true as my car is a company car .
I think it was the fact he took it for a habitation check and tried to use the warranty as an excuse was a mistake
Probably that and the fact there were two of them. He might have had a chance had he been alone. Taking a passenger is definitely not essential.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
LesW got me thinking now!!! do you need an MOT to park on the road or just to use the vehicle. it certainly need road fund license.
I understand that without an mot you cant get road tax.

so maybe i answered my own question :rolleyes:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
So what about using moho (we do also have car) for essential Tesco shopping. Surely what defines what an essential vehicle is what you are useing it for I.e. essential shopping. As appose to a car is essential vehicle but a moho is not.???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back