British Government Discriminate against Technifobes (1 Viewer)

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Okay so I have friends leaving Benidorm for Santander, and because they don’t have smart phones or email and internet access they are being discriminated by our own Government. Probably illegal and most definitely should be brought to account.
They can get the Covid test and get get a print out of it to take to the Port. But 48 hours before landing in the U.K. they must fill out a passenger locator form, only available for download or fill in online. After it’s filled in an email is sent to you with a QR code which is scanned at the port to tell them the requirement as been fulfilled, only then will you be able to board.
so if you don’t have email or any means of doing that your stuffed.
I rang the helpline at the .gov.uk site and asked what procedure there was for people who do not have the facilities. Astonishingly there isn’t one and when I asked her why and surely that’s discrimination against certain people she was embarrassed she couldn’t help.
Her suggestion was not to set off without doing it or they won’t be able to board, and maybe they will have a paper equivalent at the Port but she wasn’t sure if it was possible. Totally unhelpful from our own Government.
I rang the port at Santander and asked if they had a paper form for them to fill in, but it isn’t an option as the QR code as to be emailed back to you for them to scan. Her suggestion was to let someone else fill it in with their email address then print it off and give it to them before they set off for the airport. I pointed out that it as to be filled in 48 hours before arriving in the U.K. and they are travelling from Benidorm to Santander for 2 days before arriving at the Port let alone the U.K.
I managed in the end to get an email address for them so the form can be filled in after they have left Benidorm. A note will be attached to the booking reference so when they arrive the booking staff can retrieve the email and allow them to board. It’s been very hard trying to get information from anybody but I finally managed to get a work around.
Why should we have to go to all the trouble to sort out a mess the Government haven’t provided for. It would be very interesting to be fined for not filling the form in then going to court for refusing to pay the fine, it would make them look stupid.
All it needs is for this facility which the kind person at the Port suggested we do, to be put on the .gov site under the heading “what to do if you don’t have an email address”
Bloody reprobates haven’t got a clue.
Sorry it’s a long post but it might be interesting reading and may help someone who finds themselves in a similar position.

OP
OP
Ukbandit

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Do you expect everyone in their 80’s to be able or even want bother with the technology, what’s wrong with you. Going on your opinion then, disabled people, illiterate people, and anyone else who can’t deal with it don’t count.
your attitude stinks my friend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ukbandit

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I asked you nothing banker, I posted to help people who may find themselves in the same situation. It wasn’t a question for you to answer and yes I am also illiterate, I must be otherwise I would be able to spell banker properly.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I asked you nothing banker, I posted to help people who may find themselves in the same situation. It wasn’t a question for you to answer and yes I am also illiterate, I must be otherwise I would be able to spell banker properly.

your post was useful information and a watch out for some.

you are clearly very angry

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Calm-Down.png

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My exact thoughts when I got bounced of a plane from Munich airport last year.
You should be able to fill out a form and hand it in just like when you fly to the States.
If your phone goes tits up or flat battery your done for☹️

Just to add I did mine in the hotel that night took 10 mins in my phone, got a flight the next morning and walked straight through the arrivals same as coming through the tunnel a few weeks later they never even asked!!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I feel the issue here is that when normally drafting laws it takes a long time and tries to cover every eventuality

Covid hasn't allowed the time to do that and as a result there will always be a few scenarios that are excluded - that's life

Hopefully your friends can find a suitable solution

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I sympathise with your problem and pleased it has a favourable end.
Unfortunately the world is having a pandemic with severe travel restrictions. Travel is the last thing on most people's mind. Keeping safe and alive is much more important. We would all like to come and go as we please but won't.
Our lockdown at UK points of entry is definitely necessary and hopefully will prevent more infections.

Deleted User
I agree it's not discrimination just reality of a changing world.
Father 84 is online, just purchased Mother in law a tablet and arranged broadband connection, sadly necessary in covid times if access to a community and friends is required.
I'm no technology expert but I do have sympathy for the older generation who have been left behind but to be honest the days of Government bodies running an old fashioned paper system are over.
Glad you friends situation has been resolved, their lucky to have somebody like yourself to help.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hopefully Graham the UK Govt will do something about it but I doubt it will be soon.If they can get the forms filled in at the port using the port facilities I suppose the QR code could be photographed and shown?

OP
OP
Ukbandit

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
The QR code has to be emailed back to you, that’s their problem Jim they don’t have email, but it will be emailed to me and then I can forward it to the port email address I was given. When they get to the port it will be attached to their booking reference. So the operator at the port should be able to scan it straight from their computer.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry if I sound condescending, but if they were in a hotel, get the receptionist to help with email and printout. If on a campsite, ask the office. I used to travel to work abroad and in cases where I needed documents, these were absolutely happy to help with faxes and calls. Nothing has changed, they are very happy to help

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I think it's the time frame must be done within 48 hrs of arrival in the UK I believe and driving from be u to santander will put them outside that window.

That's if I have understood the situation correctly

OP
OP
Ukbandit

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry if I sound condescending, but if they were in a hotel, get the receptionist to help with email and printout. If on a campsite, ask the office. I used to travel to work abroad and in cases where I needed documents, these were absolutely happy to help with faxes and calls. Nothing has changed, they are very happy to help
Yes thanks for that but it doesn’t work because of the timing. The firm as to be filled in 48 hours before arriving in the U.K. so as an example the boat arrives at 5pm in Portsmouth on the Thursday, leaves at 3pm on the Wednesday, so the 48 hours means the form can’t be filled in until 5pm on Tuesday, not giving them any time to set off and travel from Benidorm to Santander. It would mean driving all the way overnight not really safe for them, but also the curfew is from 8pm until 6am so they couldn’t realistically set off until 6am on Wednesday morning. Meaning it’s impossible to get there in the time frame.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
then take the test using local help and then get the form printed off in the ferry terminal ready to travel

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I pointed out that it as to be filled in 48 hours before arriving in the U.K.

Yes thanks for that but it doesn’t work because of the timing. The firm as to be filled in 48 hours before arriving in the U.K. so as an example the boat arrives at 5pm in Portsmouth on the Thursday, leaves at 3pm on the Wednesday, so the 48 hours means the form can’t be filled in until 5pm on Tuesday, not giving them any time to set off and travel from Benidorm to Santander. It would mean driving all the way overnight not really safe for them, but also the curfew is from 8pm until 6am so they couldn’t realistically set off until 6am on Wednesday morning. Meaning it’s impossible to get there in the time frame.
No it doesn't .It has to be filled in within the 48 hour period of arriving in the UK.You cann fill it in 1 hourbefore arrival.

"You can submit the form any time in the 48 hours before you arrive in the UK."
from here;
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

I never fill in the API until I arrive at the departure port & I'd be doing the same with this.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
, only then will you be able to board.
This would appear to be the ferry company as the website states"possibly" not allowed to board & they must be letting them board planes without it filled in as at least 30 people on one flight, all with pcr tests, in to Heathrow this week elected to pay £500 fine rather than hand over any personal information & then they were allowed in?

Mar 28, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 7012, A Class
Exp
18 years
Well done Graham, thank goodness for someone like you in helping older people. Who knows, we all may need help one day.

OP
OP
Ukbandit

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
then take the test using local help and then get the form printed off in the ferry terminal ready to travel
You obviously didn’t read my original post

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
beyond them with a bit of help..
Hi.
" With a bit of help."... Like it..." Enter Daughter and Son in law stage left " All i have done to succeed over here,is to swap Traffic clerks in Clearing houses,to Daughter and SIL in retirement. Example Google Earth. I found the Coordinates for our house here on the cars Sat nav. Being a computor illiterate thought Switch on Google earth,only give up when it asks to " Copy/Paste/ Download X, or press this or that ". Imagine my surprise when a page came up..no hassle...entered coordinates.. and there before me was a view from outer space of our house and area. Daughter came around and i said she was about to be made redundant and told her what i had done. She sighed and said. When we got your NEW computor loaded up and running..FOR YOU !! i put you on............................ Google Chrome...
While ever you have a tongue in your head,you can allways ask for a ..Bit of help. Sometimes a Good Samaritan will come to help. Struggling on a very windy day to fold a big lorry sheet,old lad jumped out of a cab and gave me a hand. I thanked him after we had it stowed he said. " A bit of help is worth a lot of pity " never forgot that.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Ukbandit

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
No it doesn't .It has to be filled in within the 48 hour period of arriving in the UK.You cann fill it in 1 hourbefore arrival.

"You can submit the form any time in the 48 hours before you arrive in the UK."
from here;
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

I never fill in the API until I arrive at the departure port & I'd be doing the same with this.
Yes Gus I know that, but you missed the point the couple have no way to be able to fill it in. So the reason I mentioned the 48 hours is so someone at there campsite can fill it in for them before they set off. If they could fill it in themselves they could as you rightly point out fill it in 1 hour before they arrive. Its like trying to get a dog to speak, if they can’t do it it’s pointless you teaching them.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well done Graham, thank goodness for someone like you in helping older people. Who knows, we all may need help one day.
Exactly my sentiments too Graham. Good on you for helping the way you did. (y)

We are not all IT literate. I certainly know that I wasn't at one time, and my parents certainly weren't.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
ok I know I am being flippant and unhelpful to the OP
I'm assuming the people travailing are fairly old
Why are they choosing to move at this time?

One of my sister-in-law's farther has managed to get himself stuck in Portugal
He was determined to go out during the summer when travel was open but is now stuck and wants home
He is staying with one of his other children so being looked after
He is 90+ and no way he could use a smart phone etc
It was explained to him it could be difficult

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We had to do the same thing last September travelling back from the Faroes. Did the initial form filling before leaving and saved it. 36 hours on the ship, land in Denmark on Saturday morning, hotel near the German border that night, hotel in Holland Sunday night where we completed the saved form and downloaded the bar code. Ferry from the Hook to Harwich where we landed Tuesday morning. Did they want to see the paperwork? No, but it was there if they wanted it and things are a lot more organised now. Simples.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back