Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I’m loving the lithium’s they are not cheap but it’s just like having hookup

Cloud cover most of the day yesterday we watched a lot of tv also had the heating on all night
We also charged the phones and the dyson + a few other things and not forgetting the compressor freezer in the garage pulling about 5 amps per hour

The batteries were at 84% at 8 am this morning also used the inverter a few times for coffee and toast etc

It’s magic or witchcraft lol

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Depends on the ambient, but we found a compressor crx50 it takes anything from 22 to 40ah per day at 13,2v. We do have a separate freezer on eco mode that takes about 30ah per day in summer. In eco mode has a variable speed and almost silent. The Lifepo are great for replacing a lot of gas. Like you said, almost ehu everywhere.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
A small price to pay to keep your beers cool Paul. Hope your both well. (y)
I am thinking about getting a keg cooler but I don’t think lynne would go for it lol

it took me ages to talk her into getting a fridge freezer for the garage she thought she was going to use it for food lol .....it’s full of beer and ice for my barcardi lol

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I’m loving the lithium’s they are not cheap but it’s just like having hookup

Cloud cover most of the day yesterday we watched a lot of tv also had the heating on all night
We also charged the phones and the dyson + a few other things and not forgetting the compressor freezer in the garage pulling about 5 amps per hour

The batteries were at 84% at 8 am this morning also used the inverter a few times for coffee and toast etc

It’s magic or witchcraft lol
what capacity have you got?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
BUSBY. Are you having to change much of the AS charging system?
Not according to supplier,,Won it (well less than half price) in Jims competition,,Oldish van so simple ,,,I hope.BUSBY,,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Not according to supplier,,Won it (well less than half price) in Jims competition,,Oldish van so simple ,,,I hope.BUSBY,,,
Thanks. I’d be interested to hear how you get on.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not wishing to knock Lithium, they still have finite capacity.
If the difference is so noticeable, my guess is that the old battery was due for renewal.
Let's not get carried away with the euphoria
Their value will be discovered in later years.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
If the difference is so noticeable, my guess is that the old battery was due for renewal.
I suspect the difference is so noticeable, because the technology is so radically different. The differences are there even when comparing new batteries

My only reservations about lithium revolve around the right point to jump into the technology. The pace of price cuts and new development increase the risk of buying in at the wrong time ....but thats a marginal call really and not one I will lose any sleep over.
Lithium has been used for years now and with multinationals like Tesla, Mercedes, VW etc putting their name to them, I‘d be surprised if there are any hidden issues still out there

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There will come a time when people laugh at the idea of storing electricity using sulphuric acid and lead, with further amusement at the idea that we would carry around just 1 kWh (unit) of energy in something weighing over 20 kg.

Deleted User
Agreed. However the technology is improving because battery manufacturers are probably aware that there is an enormous market for a simp!e retrofit product that can be swapped out by someone with limited knowledge, similar to rechargeable and non rechargeable batteries that hit the market in the last generation. Prices will fall as a consequence and by then performance and value probaby won't be a deciding factor - I can't imagine anyone going back.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
When you say value, what do you mean?

Because their weight and rate of charge are the most valuable aspects for me and that value is being appreciated now. No need to wait years (y)
I agree Jim it’s like when you buy a laptop they are putting a updated one on the shelf they took yours off

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What is the answer eddievanbitz, or rather what should the answer be?
Well I was under the impression that we are in a National lockdown, this is the list on the Government website

• essential retail such as food shops, supermarkets, pharmacies, garden centres, building merchants and suppliers of building products and off-licences
  • market stalls selling essential retail may also stay open
  • businesses providing repair services may also stay open, where they primarily offer repair services
  • petrol stations, automatic (but not manual) car washes, vehicle repair garages and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses
  • banks, building societies, post offices, short-term loan providers and money transfer businesses
  • funeral directors
  • laundrettes and dry cleaners
  • medical and dental services
  • vets and retailers of products and food for the upkeep and welfare of animals
  • animal rescue centres, boarding facilities and animal groomers (may continue to be used for animal welfare, rather than aesthetic purposes)
  • agricultural supplies shops
  • mobility and disability support shops
  • storage and distribution facilities
  • car parks, public toilets and motorway service areas
  • outdoor playgrounds
  • outdoor parts of botanical gardens and heritage sites for exercise
  • places of worship
  • crematoriums and burial grounds

Personally I cannot see any reason why any business in the leisure sector would want to flout the law.

Makes me wonder what other laws are being flouted and how they may deal with "laws" (Warranty) in the future

We closed, it is the right thing to do for our staff, our customers and ourselves

No doubt some will argue loopholes "businesses providing repair services may also stay open, where they primarily offer repair services" but its non essential as is the journey there and back legally.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When you say value, what do you mean?

Because their weight and rate of charge are the most valuable aspects for me and that value is being appreciated now. No need to wait years (y)
No one gets out alive you know!

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Well I was under the impression that we are in a National lockdown, this is the list on the Government website

Personally I cannot see any reason why any business in the leisure sector would want to flout the law.

Makes me wonder what other laws are being flouted and how they may deal with "laws" (Warranty) in the future

We closed, it is the right thing to do for our staff, our customers and ourselves

No doubt some will argue loopholes "businesses providing repair services may also stay open, where they primarily offer repair services" but its non essential as is the journey there and back legally.
I'm in total agreement with you. All but essential providers should be closed but it is difficult to believe in any lockdown over here in Yeovil. Dorset Lady and I went for a walk this morning and the amount of traffic and people about was not far off the pre pandemic level. It's no wonder the virus is spreading.
No one gets out alive you know!
Stop stealing my lines :LOL:.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My only reservations about lithium revolve around the right point to jump into the technology. The pace of price cuts and new development increase the risk of buying in at the wrong time .
I have ( well had actually ) a close friend who, in 1981 NEARLY bought a ZX81 computer... but hearing of the soon to come out Spectrum decided to wait.The Speccy came out but then the BEEB was about .. so he waited and before he could get a BEEB the Atara A500 was announced.. this went on and on..
He finally bought a PC about 5 years ago.. so had waited for some 34 years to get a machine.. then died 18 months later !!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have ( well had actually ) a close friend who, in 1981 NEARLY bought a ZX81 computer... but hearing of the soon to come out Spectrum decided to wait.The Speccy came out but then the BEEB was about .. so he waited and before he could get a BEEB the Atara A500 was announced.. this went on and on..
He finally bought a PC about 5 years ago.. so had waited for some 34 years to get a machine.. then died 18 months later !!!
There is an old saying,,Enjoy yourself it's later than you think,,my mother swore by it and I am trying ,BUSBY 😁

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I was thinking of their value in terms of useful life.

If buying to reduce weight, however, the benefit would be immediately apparent.
More efficient too. If you are trying to harvest solar you waste 5% charging a lead acid battery (LiFePO4 only 1%) and if you are using something like a big inverter the higher Peukert’s exponent of lead acid also eats into your reserves.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was thinking of their value in terms of useful life.

If buying to reduce weight, however, the benefit would be immediately apparent.

Weight is a bonus, I find the rate of charge and depth of use is where the real value lies . and that is immediate too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back