Solo female motorhomer in Spain tested positive for Covid. (1 Viewer)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Early reports from a Spain based motorhome forum is reporting on a lone female motorhomer testing positive.
This remains our greatest fear for those who took the risk and came here during the current situation....
Some bad advice given to her to try on get on a campsite/Camperstop where others may help in bringing supplies etc...just how crazy is that....would you want a Covid positive neighbour asking you to nip to the shops, empty the loo of whatever...I have mask and gloves but not PPE...
Fortunately she has seen sense and has got herself an apartment and will isolate there...we hope...who has she come into contact with, where did she get infected....will post more if we get to know the current situation, hope she remains stable... presently she is fine, but positive for sure

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
One of our main reasons for staying home this winter . And I had a three day stay in hospital as an emergency on 2 Jan and am never Ill ( not Covid ) But just shows you what can happen . Prefer near home with Covid around .
Exactly my sentiments, why would you take the risk of being possibly terminally ill
In a foreign country, just for a bit of sun, it just doesn’t compute so staying here for as long as it takes,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Also why we decided to rent a flat in September for the Winter . We anticipated additional lockdowns and also issues with closed sites in the UK. Got caught out last March and squeezed in with family. We decided against travelling to Spain for the Winter in case we were struck down. We would not want to be stuck somewhere without support and things went bad. Its clear that the virus hits people in different ways, so if either one of us unfortunately did not make it, being stuck in Spain with MH plus a funeral to sought just does not sit well.

Good luck to anybody out and about and be safe.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Also why we decided to rent a flat in September for the Winter . We anticipated additional lockdowns and also issues with closed sites in the UK. Got caught out last March and squeezed in with family. We decided against travelling to Spain for the Winter in case we were struck down. We would not want to be stuck somewhere without support and things went bad. Its clear that the virus hits people in different ways, so if either one of us unfortunately did not make it, being stuck in Spain with MH plus a funeral to sought just does not sit well.

Good luck to anybody out and about and be safe.
Exactly...the way it works here is someone who gets really sick and hospitised is completely isolated until recovery or it becomes fatal...as Spanish residents in the system so to say would have a somewhat torrid time.....there is so much red tape, funerals are expensive, financial implications are incredible....well that's for us....how it would be for visitors who find themselves in a similar situation is unknown to me...
Travel insurance, repatriation, formalities are endless.... distressing.....all could be avoided by staying home....

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Exactly...the way it works here is someone who gets really sick and hospitised is completely isolated until recovery or it becomes fatal...as Spanish residents in the system so to say would have a somewhat torrid time.....there is so much red tape, funerals are expensive, financial implications are incredible....well that's for us....how it would be for visitors who find themselves in a similar situation is unknown to me...
Travel insurance, repatriation, formalities are endless.... distressing.....all could be avoided by staying home....
Have been there with sister in law who died while on holiday in the North of France . Mother in law in her 80’s alone in the gîte so we headed north in the van through the night .
Gendarmes , mayor etc were excellent and fortunately insurance repatriated their car and grandson flew out to take Grandma home .Her daughter insisted on body repatriation so that added even more trouble ! Body sent to Bordeaux sealed in metal coffin sealed in presence of gendarmes and to round it off no reason for death on a french death cert unless suspicious and an autopsy . So this caused no end of consternation in Scotland so calls and paperwork between France and Scotland . At least I have done it once but just imagine if it is your wife or partner dealing with it all in your grief .
Would not like to repeat the experience during a pandemic .
Does not put me off travelling but certainly not at the moment .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does anyone else find it strange that a thread such as this pointing out the reality of travelling during a pandemic attracts no comments .
Possibly because it wasn't clear to me this was about a foreign tourist.

We are surrounded by people testing positive. All each of us can do is follow the guidelines about staying safe. Assume everyone you meet is a possible carrier.

May 10, 2020
Newcastle upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rapido itineo
Exp
If we want rid of this situation- don’t travel, assume everyone you meet has the virus, we bought a Motorhome last year it’s sat in storage ( we did manage a few short breaks in the UK when places were allowed to open). I myself am recovering from covid, I’ve been lucky it was mild, I’ve isolated at home. The thought of being ill with this away from home must be a nightmare. How I caught it ? I’ve been careful my family said I’m the one that’s over the top about hand washing, mask wearing etc. Our vans and travel will be open again in the future we just need to do our bit and stay home.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Does anyone else find it strange that a thread such as this pointing out the reality of travelling during a pandemic attracts no comments

Yes it called Preaching from people who think they know better than the rest of us, we are all grown ups and can make our own decisions without being constantly preached at...
We are all Free to make our own Decisions,we're not in China ! read the thread about the Op's post, and she broke No rules, but still vilified for catching Corvid...

Just follow the rules, use Common sense, something many on here seem to have lost, I may get hit by a bus Tomorrow crossing the road, Life's too Short...its not a rehersal, its a Once in a Lifetime Deal...

STAY SAFE

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We are surrounded by people testing positive. All each of us can do is follow the guidelines about staying safe. Assume everyone you meet is a possible carrier.
Exactly.
It exasperates me when folk seek loopholes. If people have to ask whether or not their journey would be considered 'essential travel', then it isn't.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Yes it called Preaching from people who think they know better than the rest of us, we are all grown ups and can make our own decisions without being constantly preached at...
We are all Free to make our own Decisions,we're not in China ! read the thread about the Op's post, and she broke No rules, but still vilified for catching Corvid...

Just follow the rules, use Common sense, something many on here seem to have lost, I may get hit by a bus Tomorrow crossing the road, Life's too Short...its not a rehersal, its a Once in a Lifetime Deal...

STAY SAFE
You get hit by a bus, YOU die,
You catch covid, there is a good chance you will die. As will possibly others you have infected.
Your choice.
Please stay away from Gloucestershire

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
You get hit by a bus, YOU die,
You catch covid, there is a good chance you will die. As will possibly others you have infected.
Your choice.
Please stay away from Gloucestershire

My Brother was hit by a Bus, and he didn't die ! Just broke his Leg, more MHF Expert Opinions...
Won't be going Gloucestershire anytime soon, as Calahonda is a Tad warmer 21C Today :) and a LOT Safer so your safe, BUT keep a lookout for the Buses...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Early reports from a Spain based motorhome forum is reporting on a lone female motorhomer testing positive.
This remains our greatest fear for those who took the risk and came here during the current situation....
Some bad advice given to her to try on get on a campsite/Camperstop where others may help in bringing supplies etc...just how crazy is that....would you want a Covid positive neighbour asking you to nip to the shops, empty the loo of whatever...I have mask and gloves but not PPE...
Fortunately she has seen sense and has got herself an apartment and will isolate there...we hope...who has she come into contact with, where did she get infected....will post more if we get to know the current situation, hope she remains stable... presently she is fine, but positive for sure
There are a lot of 'missing' bits ... is the female MHer from the UK? If so, has she been there for a long time thus before the new virus hit or did she travel out recently? Is she from an EU country, or Spanish native?

When we were away a couple of years ago we met a lovely young lady with her dog who had gone to Spain to have a break and was able to work from her MH via the internet so not a problem, she loved it so much she didn't bother coming back to the UK, she could still be out there as far as I know.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
There are a lot of 'missing' bits ... is the female MHer from the UK? If so, has she been there for a long time thus before the new virus hit or did she travel out recently? Is she from an EU country, or Spanish native?

When we were away a couple of years ago we met a lovely young lady with her dog who had gone to Spain to have a break and was able to work from her MH via the internet so not a problem, she loved it so much she didn't bother coming back to the UK, she could still be out there as far as I know.
Of course there are gaps to fill in....I only gave a fairly sketchy post as that's all we knew at the time.....I doubt she is Spanish, that just doesn't fit...I wanted to bring to the attention to those who believe they are well protected in their MH that it's not a safeguard.
So say the lady gets really ill, she is alone, what happens next, perhaps not a Spanish speaker, has a dog, got all her possessions in her MH....she gets taken into hospital....nobody knows her, nobody knows she is I'll, who has she come into contact with....I am writing about a worst case scenario....but it does give cause for concern, do you not think so...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have been there with sister in law who died while on holiday in the North of France . Mother in law in her 80’s alone in the gîte so we headed north in the van through the night .
Gendarmes , mayor etc were excellent and fortunately insurance repatriated their car and grandson flew out to take Grandma home .Her daughter insisted on body repatriation so that added even more trouble ! Body sent to Bordeaux sealed in metal coffin sealed in presence of gendarmes and to round it off no reason for death on a french death cert unless suspicious and an autopsy . So this caused no end of consternation in Scotland so calls and paperwork between France and Scotland . At least I have done it once but just imagine if it is your wife or partner dealing with it all in your grief .
Would not like to repeat the experience during a pandemic .
Does not put me off travelling but certainly not at the moment .

Martin's Uncle died suddenly when on holiday in Spain. He had a basic, no frills cremation in Spain and a memorial service / disposal of ashes at home. There was very little help for his widow - one of his daughters (who had school girl Spanish) flew out to help with the authorities.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

STAY SAFE
Then need the assistance of an already stretched Health Service if you got sick...

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Martin's Uncle died suddenly when on holiday in Spain. He had a basic, no frills cremation in Spain and a memorial service / disposal of ashes at home. There was very little help for his widow - one of his daughters (who had school girl Spanish) flew out to help with the authorities.
Much better to be cremated where you die but Niece insisted ! Is traumatic for however us left but have talked it through with OH but with virus infection a possible addition to risk it is our choice to stay at home . Shows also how travel insurance is so important .
No doubt those who dish the chances of this happening will never become infected and carry on denying it is a possibility.
I have not seen son, grandchildren or daughter for 18 months and no hope of seeing them till travel restrictions are lifted and it upsets me but at least I have done my best to ensure I will remain alive to see them again .

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Of course there are gaps to fill in....I only gave a fairly sketchy post as that's all we knew at the time.....I doubt she is Spanish, that just doesn't fit...I wanted to bring to the attention to those who believe they are well protected in their MH that it's not a safeguard.
So say the lady gets really ill, she is alone, what happens next, perhaps not a Spanish speaker, has a dog, got all her possessions in her MH....she gets taken into hospital....nobody knows her, nobody knows she is I'll, who has she come into contact with....I am writing about a worst case scenario....but it does give cause for concern, do you not think so...
It's a worry that most, if not all of us solo travellers have, I think.

My son checks that I have logged into Facebook every morning - he knows that there is something seriously wrong if I haven't 😂

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Was she a spanish fulltimer or tourist

Screenshot_20210117_141947.jpg

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
My Brother was hit by a Bus, and he didn't die ! Just broke his Leg, more MHF Expert Opinions...
Won't be going Gloucestershire anytime soon, as Calahonda is a Tad warmer 21C Today :) and a LOT Safer so your safe, BUT keep a lookout for the Buses...
Kozikot,
In my reply to your post I tried to indicate that the only person who could be killed by the bus was you. Yes hopefully it would be a lot less severe as in the case of you brother. With covid more than one could be affected.
Ex bus/coach driver. 50years non injury driving.

ps. Just got back from a long walk in the winter sunshine, something I think I would miss were I to long term in Spain. I do enjoy our seasons
Geoff.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The thing is that could happen at any time before covid. Things happen, living is a risky business and yes there is a nasty bug going round affecting mainly the elderly or with health problems just now but everyone makes their own risk assessment. If she's under 50 her chances of dieing of covid are absolutely tiny, she's tested positive that's it. One third of people don't even get symptoms and most get a mild flu or cold. She may be a full timer and may have lived in Spain for years for all we know.

I know where I'd rather be if i caught covid and that's here in the lovely vit d boosting sunshine and mild temperatures of Portugal.
Infact I've just had my own mini health emergency and it turned out being in Portugal at the start of a month long lockdown has been much better than being back in the UK. I had agonising tooth pain from an abscess and rang up the nearest dentist and was seen within 1.5 hrs of calling, xrays, prescriptions and booked in for more work next week. English speaking and very good value. In normal times it's a nightmare trying to get an appointment at my dentist in the uk and I've heard it's been virtually impossible during the pandemic with prices rocketing if you do get in so it's actually by chance happened to be a good thing being away. Plus I'm now convalescing in my chair in the sun.

I know it's a scary time but spreading fear off the back of snippets of information doesn't particularly help in my opinion. No offence meant but i just find it depressing to come on a forum that's meant to be about motorhome fun to find people posting what comes across as very negative and unnecessary stories from very little info.

Yes there will always be some irresponsible people who ignore the rules and they would be doing this whether in the uk or abroad but it's still perfectly possible and just as safe if not safer to live in a motorhome abroad at the moment as long as you are sensible and have assessed your own individual risks and the risk to others.

Take care everyone whatever your choices during this difficult time.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

We could have posted her information but didn't think it fair to put someone's name on here.

Martin's post was just to show what might, and can, happen, especially to someone travelling alone.

The thing is that could happen at any time before covid. Things happen, living is a risky business and yes there is a nasty bug going round affecting mainly the elderly or with health problems just now but everyone makes their own risk assessment. If she's under 50 her chances of dieing of covid are absolutely tiny, she's tested positive that's it. One third of people don't even get symptoms and most get a mild flu or cold. She may be a full timer and may have lived in Spain for years for all we know.

I know where I'd rather be if i caught covid and that's here in the lovely vit d boosting sunshine and mild temperatures of Portugal.
Infact I've just had my own mini health emergency and it turned out being in Portugal at the start of a month long lockdown has been much better than being back in the UK. I had agonising tooth pain from an abscess and rang up the nearest dentist and was seen within 1.5 hrs of calling, xrays, prescriptions and booked in for more work next week. English speaking and very good value. In normal times it's a nightmare trying to get an appointment at my dentist in the uk and I've heard it's been virtually impossible during the pandemic with prices rocketing if you do get in so it's actually by chance happened to be a good thing being away. Plus I'm now convalescing in my chair in the sun.

I know it's a scary time but spreading fear off the back of snippets of information doesn't particularly help in my opinion. No offence meant but i just find it depressing to come on a forum that's meant to be about motorhome fun to find people posting what comes across as very negative and unnecessary stories from very little info.

Yes there will always be some irresponsible people who ignore the rules and they would be doing this whether in the uk or abroad but it's still perfectly possible and just as safe if not safer to live in a motorhome abroad at the moment as long as you are sensible and have assessed your own individual risks and the risk to others.

Sorry to hear about your tooth problem, but that was only going to affect your health and no one else's. We're warning about a pandemic here.

Not trying to spread fear, just reality.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No argument whatsoever with what you say. I totally agree about the major risk of going abroad as a solo, or even a couple, never mind in the UK as many of the same things could affect someone here but the BIG difference is that she would have access to support here, by strangers, charities, health service, whereas as a foreigner that is extremely unlikely to happen as she's found out. Thank goodness she had a test prior to moving in with her aunt!

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

An extra burden on a health service that is under the greatest strain ever know is just downright selfish......when travelling could be avoided and staying put is a sensible approach...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back