Solo female motorhomer in Spain tested positive for Covid. (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Surely those statistics include the first wave?
The instance bilM refers to are specific to the second (current) wave!
Yes of course they include the 1st wave to assess the overall risk you look at as many figures as possible. This includes data right up to 2 weeks ago so a good amount of data to look at. One doctors observation of his ward is not going to be statistically significant. There are scary stories in the media about this or that young person dieing or long covid etc but that's always been a media thing as sadly it's what people click on to read. I prefer to make informed choices based on data rather than what an individual reports in a media article.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Yes of course they include the 1st wave to assess the overall risk you look at as many figures as possible. This includes data right up to 2 weeks ago so a good amount of data to look at. One doctors observation of his ward is not going to be statistically significant. There are scary stories in the media about this or that young person dieing or long covid etc but that's always been a media thing as sadly it's what people click on to read. I prefer to make informed choices based on data rather than what an individual reports in a media article.

You choose to use a graph that shows statistics for the UK whilst you are in Portugal.
If this current rise in infections is showing a different profile than the original, it would be wise to take notice of it, why should the statistics you use be any less scary stories in the media than those you doubt.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
You choose to use a graph that shows statistics for the UK whilst you are in Portugal.
If this current rise in infections is showing a different profile than the original, it would be wise to take notice of it, why should the statistics you use be any less scary stories in the media than those you doubt.
Sorry i don't understand the last part of your comment. I showed the graph for the uk as that's where most on here are based and because it's where I've lived the last 39 years but mainly because it's a good, detailed source of death vs age data throughout the pandemic. There is no data suggesting that the virus is becoming more deadly to younger people just anecdotes from the media who love a good scare story and i don't base my risk assessment on anecdotes. If you would like to present data from Portugal for the 2nd wave be my guest I'd love to see it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Does anyone else find it strange that a thread such as this pointing out the reality of travelling during a pandemic attracts no comments .
Well if you have the mentality I won't get it I don't give a hoot about others , or the brave NHS workers who must be on their knees, I'm really careful, there may not be many comments, I can say from people I know who have been affected, I'm scared even when Tesco's bring food to the door.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Sorry i don't understand the last part of your comment. I showed the graph for the uk as that's where most on here are based and because it's where I've lived the last 39 years but mainly because it's a good, detailed source of death vs age data throughout the pandemic. There is no data suggesting that the virus is becoming more deadly to younger people just anecdotes from the media who love a good scare story and i don't base my risk assessment on anecdotes. If you would like to present data from Portugal for the 2nd wave be my guest I'd love to see it.
Not quite what you wanted but may be of some interest

Broken Link Removed

Screenshot_20210118-214258.png
Screenshot_20210118-214258.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There is no data suggesting that the virus is becoming more deadly to younger people just anecdotes from the media who love a good scare story and i don't base my risk assessment on anecdotes.
I heard it from the 'horses mouth' (ie doctors in the covid wards) several times on news reports not just from the journalists, the last one I saw the other day (can't remember which channel) said he'd definitely seen an increase in the number of younger people needing hospitalisation and also intensive care.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I heard it from the 'horses mouth' (ie doctors in the covid wards) several times on news reports not just from the journalists, the last one I saw the other day (can't remember which channel) said he'd definitely seen an increase in the number of younger people needing hospitalisation and also intensive care.
new variant maybe ?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Well if you have the mentality I won't get it I don't give a hoot about others , or the brave NHS workers who must be on their knees, I'm really careful, there may not be many comments, I can say from people I know who have been affected, I'm scared even when Tesco's bring food to the door.

I'm sorry that you are so scared..............

.......................what about the Tesco driver?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The thing is that could happen at any time before covid. Things happen, living is a risky business and yes there is a nasty bug going round affecting mainly the elderly or with health problems just now but everyone makes their own risk assessment. If she's under 50 her chances of dieing of covid are absolutely tiny, she's tested positive that's it. One third of people don't even get symptoms and most get a mild flu or cold. She may be a full timer and may have lived in Spain for years for all we know.

I know where I'd rather be if i caught covid and that's here in the lovely vit d boosting sunshine and mild temperatures of Portugal.
Infact I've just had my own mini health emergency and it turned out being in Portugal at the start of a month long lockdown has been much better than being back in the UK. I had agonising tooth pain from an abscess and rang up the nearest dentist and was seen within 1.5 hrs of calling, xrays, prescriptions and booked in for more work next week. English speaking and very good value. In normal times it's a nightmare trying to get an appointment at my dentist in the uk and I've heard it's been virtually impossible during the pandemic with prices rocketing if you do get in so it's actually by chance happened to be a good thing being away. Plus I'm now convalescing in my chair in the sun.

I know it's a scary time but spreading fear off the back of snippets of information doesn't particularly help in my opinion. No offence meant but i just find it depressing to come on a forum that's meant to be about motorhome fun to find people posting what comes across as very negative and unnecessary stories from very little info.

Yes there will always be some irresponsible people who ignore the rules and they would be doing this whether in the uk or abroad but it's still perfectly possible and just as safe if not safer to live in a motorhome abroad at the moment as long as you are sensible and have assessed your own individual risks and the risk to others.

Take care everyone whatever your choices during this difficult time.
Your sentiments back up my opinion of this.

I'm not reading the rest of this as its just become another preaching thread from the usual suspects who are not skulking in a UK winter for the first time in years.

I do note the ladies own post says she is not ill with it and wish her a speedy and total recovery.

The information on the lady in question suggests she is not in imi

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
who are not skulking in a UK winter for the first time in years.

Haha we may have sun ... now. We've just had rain and/or snow depending on our situation and it's unseasonably cold. We are also locked down within our municipal borders and no meeting anyone from outside our households.

All's not sunny here, you know šŸ˜‰

We've (jumar and myself) always been concerned about what would happen to people taken sick in a motorhome, especially solo travellers. Luckily, this particular lady isn't sick, and we hope that's still the case, but some might not be so lucky, and if they have pets, what then?

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I'm sorry that you are so scared..............

.......................what about the Tesco driver?
You are right the drivers the shop worker's, should be somewhere near the top of jabs , no shop worker's , means no food, when the driver comes to us I mask up and wear a shield as well , trying to keep all safe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back