Safely purchasing off ebay....? (3 Viewers)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a trailer off ebay. 1 year old £4k they are not trailer dealers, its their plant.

I am just being extra cautious

I have asked them for the following:

*Pro-Forma VAT Invoice showing name and address of company, VAT number.
*Registered office if different from business premisses
*Company Registration number
*Name and address of Main director along with photo ID (photo Id can be shown on collection)
*Photograph of ID/VIN Plate of trailer.
*Collection address
*Contact telephone number
*Statement to confirm no outstanding HP, Chattel Mortgages or Logbook loans are outstanding on the plant.

Comments welcome?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I can understand that caution as it could well have been nicked.

(I saw a trailer and wood chipper being nicked from a site whilst I was roofing).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sounds like a plan. Check they all match when you go to collect.

Might have shown pictures and details of one then switch when you go to collect. You can’t be too careful nowadays.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a trailer off ebay. 1 year old £4k they are not trailer dealers, its their plant.

I am just being extra cautious

I have asked them for the following:

*Pro-Forma VAT Invoice showing name and address of company, VAT number.
*Registered office if different from business premisses
*Company Registration number
*Name and address of Main director along with photo ID (photo Id can be shown on collection)
*Photograph of ID/VIN Plate of trailer.
*Collection address
*Contact telephone number
*Statement to confirm no outstanding HP, Chattel Mortgages or Logbook loans are outstanding on the plant.

Comments welcome?
If I was selling it, I could tell you name address and phone number , not a chance of any of the others

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It’s safest to pay by card using PayPal

Cash on collecting gives you very little come back afterwards

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There are some untrusting folks on here , I have bought cars, motorhomes, tractors, yes and a trailer from a gypsy site, farm implements, and all manner of stuff, all bought unseen for cash money, no interest in vat, if they want it I don't buy, and never had any come back.

Deleted User
Advice on recent TV consumer program was to ask for a live video walk round so you know it is definitely in their possession.
Don't get conned into paying some way that ends up as a scam. If using PayPal then log in separately into your account, don't follow any links sent by seller. Pay by bank transfer on collection

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I bought a trailer off ebay from a guy that mainly sold trailers.
He advertised the trailer as being 3 years old.

It was only when we needed to get a new rear light we found out is was 14 years old

So check the VIN plate against the manufacturers web site

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Make sure that the proforma includes something like they have title to the trailer and that title will pass to you unencumbered and without impediment subject to full payment.

A walk round video is good, easier is a picture with your name written on a piece of paper or card on top of the trailer.

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
If I had an auction listing on ebay for 'cash on collection' I would not want to be paid by Paypal. If the buyer goes off with the goods they can then claim the money back from the seller as there is no proof of 'delivery' ... ebay and Paypal always take the side of the buyer and will refund them from the sellers Paypal.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If I had an auction listing on ebay for 'cash on collection' I would not want to be paid by Paypal. If the buyer goes off with the goods they can then claim the money back from the seller as there is no proof of 'delivery' ... ebay and Paypal always take the side of the buyer and will refund them from the sellers Paypal.

Paypal was agreed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Always pay in cash when you can see the goods, and you have got them in your possession, no paying before , no deposit, no delivery to your home, cash on the nail .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back