Safely purchasing off ebay....? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It’s safest to pay by card using PayPal

Cash on collecting gives you very little come back afterwards

Is a trailer classed as a vehicle? Because if it is PayPal won't cover you.

Paypal was agreed
Check if it is covered by Paypal as if it's classed as 'motors' it won't be.

Personally I'd only pay a holding deposit via Paypal from my credit card (ie not a bank account linked to it or funds already in the account) as that way you should have comeback from the credit card for your deposit if it is £100 or more.

I'd pay the rest in cash once I'd checked it out to be kosha.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a trailer off ebay. 1 year old £4k they are not trailer dealers, its their plant.

I am just being extra cautious

I have asked them for the following:

*Pro-Forma VAT Invoice showing name and address of company, VAT number.
*Registered office if different from business premisses
*Company Registration number
*Name and address of Main director along with photo ID (photo Id can be shown on collection)
*Photograph of ID/VIN Plate of trailer.
*Collection address
*Contact telephone number
*Statement to confirm no outstanding HP, Chattel Mortgages or Logbook loans are outstanding on the plant.

Comments welcome?
If it was my trailer, I would not respond for fear that you are a scammer

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If it was my trailer, I would not respond for fear that you are a scammer

Thats a fair comment.

They have my company details. VAT and co reg number. Landline tel number. Photo ID by request.

Business address, reg office address and my home address.

You can search me on companies house, no charge.

I have nothing to hide.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
There are some untrusting folks on here , I have bought cars, motorhomes, tractors, yes and a trailer from a gypsy site, farm implements, and all manner of stuff, all bought unseen for cash money, no interest in vat, if they want it I don't buy, and never had any come back.
I suppose you have to speak as you find,for my part I have been threatened with , stabbing, lynching, and "them and some buddies coming back to make sure I don't walk properly again". What heinous crime had I committed? Telling " them " to " put that back, it doesn't belong to you, it's my, [ scaffold tower, disc cutter, bespoke metal meant for a specific job, ect, ect.] "
Perhaps I've been unlucky, but it didn't feel that way at 05.30 the other morning when woken by a colleague concerned about the occupants of a plain white transit van eyeing up my outside storage area with my stock of used manhole covers and frames !!!
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I suppose you have to speak as you find,for my part I have been threatened with , stabbing, lynching, and "them and some buddies coming back to make sure I don't walk properly again". What heinous crime had I committed? Telling " them " to " put that back, it doesn't belong to you, it's my, [ scaffold tower, disc cutter, bespoke metal meant for a specific job, ect, ect.] "
Perhaps I've been unlucky, but it didn't feel that way at 05.30 the other morning when woken by a colleague concerned about the occupants of a plain white transit van eyeing up my outside storage area with my stock of used manhole covers and frames !!!
Mike
No knocking that mate, but what's it got to do with buying off eBay?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a trailer off ebay. 1 year old £4k they are not trailer dealers, its their plant.

I am just being extra cautious

I have asked them for the following:

*Pro-Forma VAT Invoice showing name and address of company, VAT number.
*Registered office if different from business premisses
*Company Registration number
*Name and address of Main director along with photo ID (photo Id can be shown on collection)
*Photograph of ID/VIN Plate of trailer.
*Collection address
*Contact telephone number
*Statement to confirm no outstanding HP, Chattel Mortgages or Logbook loans are outstanding on the plant.

Comments welcome?
A trailer that age will have a record of who bought it from new.
trailer companies are well aware of stolen ones and are in the majority willing to confirm this for you

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Update:

Seller has contacted me to say.

Cut extract

there are some mechanical issues that I was not previously aware of.
I should have been told beforehand but obviously there has been a breakdown of communication on our side. I’m really sorry but I am going to have to cancel the sale as I am not comfortable selling it knowing this.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.”

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Update:

Seller has contacted me to say.

Cut extract

there are some mechanical issues that I was not previously aware of.
I should have been told beforehand but obviously there has been a breakdown of communication on our side. I’m really sorry but I am going to have to cancel the sale as I am not comfortable selling it knowing this.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.”

family discover GIF

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I know I posted the guilty Gif but in reality as said above, they could actually think you are the scammer wanting so much info from them, the photo ID stands out for me although I understand why you might ask for it.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
If I had an auction listing on ebay for 'cash on collection' I would not want to be paid by Paypal. If the buyer goes off with the goods they can then claim the money back from the seller as there is no proof of 'delivery' ... ebay and Paypal always take the side of the buyer and will refund them from the sellers Paypal.
In the case of things that have been collected by the buyer ebay tend to side with the seller, not the buyer.
We sold a mobility scooter years ago that was paid for via paypal, then after a few days the seller claimed that it didn't work, he was at it.
But because he had collected & by doing so inspected it they came down on our side.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Or the bloke has thought. “What a ball ache and loads of questions for a trailer that sold too cheap due to the pandemic, sod it cancel sale, and I will relist later“

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A genuine seller would have told you what was wrong and asked if you still wanted it. As for mechanical problems not much to go wrong with a trailer, only brakes & wheel bearings.
Probably never exsisted.
Yes, a year old, used for less than 12 hours, dry stored in warehouse.
I know I posted the guilty Gif but in reality as said above, they could actually think you are the scammer wanting so much info from them, the photo ID stands out for me although I understand why you might ask for it.
As mentioned above. I’ve nothing to hide and given him all my details and I can be checked very easily.
In the case of things that have been collected by the buyer ebay tend to side with the seller, not the buyer.
We sold a mobility scooter years ago that was paid for via paypal, then after a few days the seller claimed that it didn't work, he was at it.
But because he had collected & by doing so inspected it they came down on our side.
Yes, lots of them around too.
Or the bloke has thought. “What a ball ache and loads of questions for a trailer that sold too cheap due to the pandemic, sod it cancel sale, and I will relist later“
To be fair. I asked could we have a VAT invoice and I was told yes. That the sale price would include VAT.

As I’m VAT Registered, it only made it cheap to me because I can claim the VAT back and that made it around 12% cheaper than buying new. For any non vat registered buyer, not so much a bargain.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

As mentioned above. I’ve nothing to hide and given him all my details and I can be checked very easily.

To be fair. I asked could we have a VAT invoice and I was told yes. That the sale price would include VAT.

As I’m VAT Registered, it only made it cheap to me because I can claim the VAT back and that made it around 12% cheaper than buying new. For any non vat registered buyer, not so much a bargain.
As I stated in an earlier post for us that are not covered by vat ,it just makes things dearer, we can't get it back and I would be very surprised if the seller declares it, so making him a nice little earner.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ive bought in the region of 150+ cars , a dozen or so vans , 5 or 6 caravans , 4 motorhomes , 1 motorbike , 2 trailer tents , a 21 foot bateson car transporter, a couple of small erde trailers, a 4 wheeled box trailer and according to my ebay profile 6300 other items .

Can't say ive ever had any problems 😁

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Don't know what you are looking for, but I still have the same plant trailer, could do with a new floor, but it's got all new brakes good tyres and all new lights, good ramps made by h and r trailers, we have a small lorry now and the trailer is redundant.
yours for a grand, cash no vat.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Ive bought in the region of 150+ cars , a dozen or so vans , 5 or 6 caravans , 4 motorhomes , 1 motorbike , 2 trailer tents , a 21 foot bateson car transporter, a couple of small erde trailers, a 4 wheeled box trailer and according to my ebay profile 6300 other items .

I sold a £26000 M/H on ebay to a Australian unseen he paid the balance by bank transfer a week before pickup, he then did a 6 month tour of europe and sold it on ebay before returning home so there are trusting and trust worthy people out there, you me and him 😁

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know what you are looking for, but I still have the same plant trailer, could do with a new floor, but it's got all new brakes good tyres and all new lights, good ramps made by h and r trailers, we have a small lorry now and the trailer is redundant.
Sorry just had a look ,it's RM trailers don't know where I got h and r from :doh:

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks, probably not what I am looking for.

Need a Box Van Trailer with Twin axle and good payload. My Van and car can tow 3500Kg

How old is it?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks, probably not what I am looking for.

Need a Box Van Trailer with Twin axle and good payload. My Van and car can tow 3500Kg

How old is it?
Not a box van , beaver tail with ramps and winch, it is plated to carry 3.5 ton, very heavy, we have fetched tractors in on it from all over the country.
It is old.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Ive bought more.

I am super cautious. It Takes me a lot of hard work to earn my money and pay taxation for doing so.

I Don't know why I just smelt a rat this time, thats why I over thought it and why I asked here.

Just in-case I had lost my sense of smell.

Just to get a registration plate requires Photo & Proof of Registered owner these days, for good reason. They cost around a £10 tenner.

Why should I risk several thousand pounds for the sake of someone not being up-front with nothing to hide?

Simple.

Buyers beware.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back