Safely purchasing off ebay....? (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Some years ago I put a wanted advert in the local newspaper and bought a secondhand Ifor Williams HB505 horse trailer from a chap about 20 miles away.
Viewed the trailer at his home, the trailer was in good condition for a 10 year old trailer that his wife had owned for 8 years, the price was fair, I paid cash and towed it home.
When I got home I phoned Ifor Williams Ltd (the manufacturer) and asked them if they were able to check the serial number agains their register of reported stolen trailers, good news, sold new to a customer in Scotland and not on their register, great !
On finer inspection of the purchase I noticed a very minor rust blemish where the chassis number is stamped into the A frame pre galvanising and on closer inspection of the digits with a magnifying glass I found a single digit 8 had originally been a 3 bugger !
Another phone call to the manufacturer who confirmed that the original number was on their hot list, originally sold new in Berkshire and reported stolen 8 years ago, guess where his current wife previously lived, Berkshire.
The seller was in complete denial and not interested, however an hour later the trailer was back with the seller and I had the cash back in my hand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If I had an auction listing on ebay for 'cash on collection' I would not want to be paid by Paypal. If the buyer goes off with the goods they can then claim the money back from the seller as there is no proof of 'delivery' ... ebay and Paypal always take the side of the buyer and will refund them from the sellers Paypal.

Itā€™s changed if you collect and pay via PayPal

You get a qr or a code that is exchanged.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
When i sold hymer caravan on ebay i took video on phone of buyer driving off, which was good as when he drove out of drive he hit gatepost , id repeatedly told him to be aware of tight turn but he was a bit of a know it all type, so if i was a seller of anything like that thats what id do, and if i was buying i would look at feedback on ebay etc , i bought a small trailer off someone who had original receipt etc , and a large rice trailer (which was in much worse condition than described lol) good luck:)

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
If its an ifor williams you can contact them to see if its registered with them? I bought a new IW trailer a few years back and I'm surebthere is some sort of register similar to the CRIS system with caravans?

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
If I was selling it, I could tell you name address and phone number , not a chance of any of the others
Yea, me too.
When buyers want too much info it usually means you are in for a bunch of trouble.
No pleasing them.
Had to come back and edit.
Advice is, dont be tempted to deal outside of Ebay, do all correspondence through Ebay, only pay via Paypal.
You have all the protection you need that way.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Advice on recent TV consumer program was to ask for a live video walk round so you know it is definitely in their possession.
Don't get conned into paying some way that ends up as a scam. If using PayPal then log in separately into your account, don't follow any links sent by seller. Pay by bank transfer on collection
Ebay Paypal payments always send you to logon to your Paypal account which if you use it often enough will show up any "fishy" stuff if it were a scam. But Paypal do have processes if you do end up scammed but a palaver

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
My last caravan before going into a motorhome was bought on Ebay and on contacting the seller we both agreed that if the caravan did not suit. despite us carefully examine the video, I could walk away. As it happens, it was exactly what I was after, a Burstner, as well built as all German vans seem to be.

Deleted User
Ebay Paypal payments always send you to logon to your Paypal account which if you use it often enough will show up any "fishy" stuff if it were a scam. But Paypal do have processes if you do end up scammed but a palaver
Some scammers 'manoeuvre' the victim away from ebay and have sent fake paypal invoices and the victims have logged onto account using paypal link in scam invoice.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Sounds like a plan. Check they all match when you go to collect.

Might have shown pictures and details of one then switch when you go to collect. You canā€™t be too careful nowadays.
that was done to a neighbour of ours - he asked loads of questions and got photos, hired a van and drove for 4.5 hours to pick up a tractor. When it got there he said it wasnā€™t even the same colour (they blamed the light) and was a lot older with damage. How he didnā€™t bop them I donā€™t know.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Some scammers 'manoeuvre' the victim away from ebay and have sent fake paypal invoices and the victims have logged onto account using paypal link in scam invoice.
Yes - move on if they start their PayPal account isnā€™t working or the fees are too large so please make a bank transfer instead

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Stick to cash when you have seen it in the flesh, no PayPal, no delivery, no vat, no deposit, if you don't like it walk away let them report you if they want.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
ie removing the lead
šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†
Most lead is marked these days with Smartwater so even if melted it is traceable and also many places like churches are replacing their lead if stolen with a product that looks like lead but is actually stainless steel coated to look like lead. A bugger to work so often it is cheaper to replace lead with lead and then takes steps to make sure it does vanish over night like ensuring the drain pipes cannot be climbed, There are various methods. of doing the latter.

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Iā€™m a newbie
I think I read that if you pay on credit card, through a third-party such as paypal, you lose the Section 75 Credit Card cover.
This is correct

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Iā€™m a newbie
Stick to cash when you have seen it in the flesh, no PayPal, no delivery, no vat, no deposit, if you don't like it walk away let them report you if they want.
And this is a sensible idea too!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back