Pet Passport question (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Maybe been asked before but my head is spinning at the gov.uk site.
Say I am already in France with my dog and return on or after 3rd or 4th Jan for example, am I ok with just the current passport, i.e no blood test?

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We just returned from the vet who has just adminstered the Rabies boosters. We have five years' vaccine history on the passports. We were booked on the ferry for 31 March, and it appears that given the new 'rules' if we wanted to be on that ferry then we should have seen him ten days ago...:mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
AFAIK the only thing decided is that you can re enter the UK with the dogs current passport. Nothing else has been decided, & the government website has not been updated since October!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We just returned from the vet who has just adminstered the Rabies boosters. We have five years' vaccine history on the passports. We were booked on the ferry for 31 March, and it appears that given the new 'rules' if we wanted to be on that ferry then we should have seen him ten days ago...:mad:
So is it 4 months prior to travel for the titre test ?

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Excellent news! The Pet Passport is dead, and vets will now issue certificates valid for four months. They download them for free, and can only charge you for their time...

Under Part 2 listed status, EU pet passports issued by Official Veterinarians (OVs) in GB will no longer be valid to travel to Europe. Instead, a pet travelling from GB to the EU will need an AHC. You will need to issue AHCs, instead of EU pet passports, to owners travelling with their pet animal to the EU from 1 January 2021.

I found this on Gov.uk. It appears that the blood test will not be required. Speaking with our vet today shows that he hadn't read the guidance shown above!

Part 2 listed country

If the UK becomes a Part 2 listed country then on top of the above you will need to visit an official vet no more than 10 days before you travel to get an animal health certificate (AHC) confirming that your pet is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies.
You will need to get a new AHC each time you travel with your pet.

Unlisted country

If the UK ends up being an unlisted country then, in addition to the requirements above, you will need to have a blood sample taken from your pet at least 30 days after its last rabies vaccination, which will then be sent to an EU-approved laboratory.
You will have to wait at least three months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you can travel.
The blood test results will go on your pet's AHC.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Excellent news! The Pet Passport is dead, and vets will now issue certificates valid for four months. They download them for free, and can only charge you for their time...

Under Part 2 listed status, EU pet passports issued by Official Veterinarians (OVs) in GB will no longer be valid to travel to Europe. Instead, a pet travelling from GB to the EU will need an AHC. You will need to issue AHCs, instead of EU pet passports, to owners travelling with their pet animal to the EU from 1 January 2021.

I found this on Gov.uk. It appears that the blood test will not be required. Speaking with our vet today shows that he hadn't read the guidance shown above!

Part 2 listed country

If the UK becomes a Part 2 listed country then on top of the above you will need to visit an official vet no more than 10 days before you travel to get an animal health certificate (AHC) confirming that your pet is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies.
You will need to get a new AHC each time you travel with your pet.

Unlisted country

If the UK ends up being an unlisted country then, in addition to the requirements above, you will need to have a blood sample taken from your pet at least 30 days after its last rabies vaccination, which will then be sent to an EU-approved laboratory.
You will have to wait at least three months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you can travel.
The blood test results will go on your pet's AHC.
The Pet Passport is NOT dead, it is a requirement for you to RETURN to the UK and that's why you need the rabies jab and possibly the titre test (still not totally sure until we get to midnight on 31st December 2020!), plus the worming treatment. Going FROM the UK is why you may need the AHC for entering the EU.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Maybe been asked before but my head is spinning at the gov.uk site.
Say I am already in France with my dog and return on or after 3rd or 4th Jan for example, am I ok with just the current passport, i.e no blood test?
Yes, the UK does not require the blood test and the EU doesn't however the EU may require it in order to take your pet abroad in the future though.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Apparently a health certificate will also be needed to enter NI and the restrictions on taking in meat, etc will also apply.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The Pet Passport is NOT dead, it is a requirement for you to RETURN to the UK and that's why you need the rabies jab and possibly the titre test (still not totally sure until we get to midnight on 31st December 2020!), plus the worming treatment. Going FROM the UK is why you may need the AHC for entering the EU.
Agreed. I should have said the UK passport is dead as far as the EU is concerned!

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Just seen a post on faceache and a poster on there says the have rung their vet and been quoted £100 for the AHC:eek::eek: could prove to be very expensive

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Good news that the titre test is not required for the EU. No doubt the vets will charge a lot for the AHC though.
It's a licence to print money wonderful bonus for them as our costs were always incurred on the way back: our vet in Montpellier charged just 37 euros for both of them!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
My bet was going to be £70, but maybe I was just being optimistic :unsure:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I’m sick and tired of posting this, PLEASE stop treating the titre test as a should I or shouldn’t I situation, if you care about your dog you should get it done or don’t leave the country with your dog! There are many examples of dogs NOT building up the necessary levels of antibodies after having the rabies jab thereby leaving them unprotected and more susceptible to Rabies.

It is to ensure your dog has the required level of antibodies and is protected that you should have the titre test done for your dog(s). (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’m sick and tired of posting this, PLEASE stop treating the titre test as a should I or shouldn’t I situation, if you care about your dog you should get it done or don’t leave the country with your dog! There are many examples of dogs NOT building up the necessary levels of antibodies after having the rabies jab thereby leaving them unprotected and more susceptible to Rabies.

It is to ensure your dog has the required level of antibodies and is protected that you should have the titre test done for your dog(s). (y)
News to me ...

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Often the only proof you need that your dog is immunised against rabies is a rabies vaccination certificate, filled in by your vet when they vaccinate your dog. However, sometimes further proof is required: a rabies titre test (or rabies titer test).

The rabies titre test is also known as the rabies antibody test, rabies neutralising antibody titre (RNAT) test or rabies blood test, as it measures the amount of antibodies produced in the blood of your dog to rabies. It confirms the effectiveness of the rabies vaccine in your dog.

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
At the moment, the position is not clear (massively helpful, I know). The pet passport scheme may be extended (which would be the sensible thing to do), if not it's a blood test 4 months before travel to prove the animal is rabies-free. In your position I would continue as though the pet passport scheme were still in place, i.e. book your animal in at a vet for the return checks as usual and take your chance at check-in. However be aware that if you encounter a DEFRA official at check-in, they can be very pedantic. They cancelled one of our pet passports because the (Belgian) vet had filled in the correct information but in the wrong place. We were allowed to return to the U.K. but then had to pay for a new passport for future travel.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
At the moment, the position is not clear (massively helpful, I know). The pet passport scheme may be extended (which would be the sensible thing to do), if not it's a blood test 4 months before travel to prove the animal is rabies-free. In your position I would continue as though the pest passport scheme were still in place, i.e. book your animal in at a vet for the return checks as usual and take your chance at check-in. However be aware that if you encounter a DEFRA official at check-in, they can be very pedantic. They cancelled one of our pet passports because the (Belgian) vet had filled in the correct information but in the wrong place. We were allowed to return to the U.K. but then had to pay for a new passport for future travel.
As I said earlier the titre test is NOT for coming back to the UK but for travelling OUT of the UK so someone already abroad and wanting to bring their pet back to the UK would just need the usual 'abroad' vet check and worming doing and the UK pet passport completing (within the required timeframe) prior to landing on UK soil.

The titre test may ONLY be a requirement for exiting the UK but at present no-one knows for sure, same with the AHC ... I hope neither is required and certainly not the latter as that would make what can be an expensive trip for several dogs even more costly.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000

You are correct in saying that many dogs do not have the necessary level of antibodies. Two years ago when it looked as if we would be leaving the EU without a withdrawal agreement, DEFRA were telling us to get this test. The entire British Agility team were tested and most were found not to have the correct level. Very worrying as they could be competing in international competitions against dogs from countries with high levels of rabies.

Getting the test done makes sense, whether it is needed for travel or not.

The test was required when the pet passports scheme was introduced. We still have our dogs’ certificates.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Just seen a post on faceache and a poster on there says the have rung their vet and been quoted £100 for the AHC:eek::eek: could prove to be very expensive
I don't like the sound of that. I am now a resident of Spain. I have three dogs, one with a British passport and two with Spanish passports. My dogs travel with me at all times.
Does needing an AHC mean that if I were to visit UK it could possibly cost me €300 to be allowed to return to Spain with my dogs? Will that also possibly be on top of them each needing tbe titre blood test.
If so, it could permanently be "farewell green and pleasant land".

joemocks79

Free Member
Nov 17, 2019
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just been looking into this given the current threats of no deal and us becoming an unlisted country. We're planning on taking our dogs into Europe 17th May so don't have much time at all to wait given the 3 month delay before travel and possibility of additional jabs.
They both had their rabies jabs back in January so I plan to pay to get blood samples taken on the 23rd December, sent to an EU lab for testing (god knows how much this will cost but I suspect £00s), then when the results come back either they fail and I need to get more boosters done and another test 30 days after the boosters, by the latest on the 17th Feb, or I just have to wait the 3 months and then apply for a certificate no more than 10 days before travelling on the 17th May.
All in all, its just a load of extra money, stress and time that I need to do now, at a fair pace, when the ferry isn't until the 17th May and for 2 healthy dogs travelling from as far as I'm aware, a pretty much rabies free country when they already have rabies jabs that are well in period and pet passports which is all the EU need today.
This one should be something that the govt couldn't really screw up after 4 years but well here we are days before the 1st January all either confused or having to rush around arranging and paying for things that we still don't know if they will be needed or not! Useless damn cretins, every last one of them!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I've just been looking into this given the current threats of no deal and us becoming an unlisted country. We're planning on taking our dogs into Europe 17th May so don't have much time at all to wait given the 3 month delay before travel and possibility of additional jabs.
They both had their rabies jabs back in January so I plan to pay to get blood samples taken on the 23rd December, sent to an EU lab for testing (god knows how much this will cost but I suspect £00s), then when the results come back either they fail and I need to get more boosters done and another test 30 days after the boosters, by the latest on the 17th Feb, or I just have to wait the 3 months and then apply for a certificate no more than 10 days before travelling on the 17th May.
All in all, its just a load of extra money, stress and time that I need to do now, at a fair pace, when the ferry isn't until the 17th May and for 2 healthy dogs travelling from as far as I'm aware, a pretty much rabies free country when they already have rabies jabs that are well in period and pet passports which is all the EU need today.
This one should be something that the govt couldn't really screw up after 4 years but well here we are days before the 1st January all either confused or having to rush around arranging and paying for things that we still don't know if they will be needed or not! Useless damn cretins, every last one of them!
You can’t really blame the government. What category we will be out in is out of their hands, it is down to the EU. The latest info I have seen from them is that we will become a listed country which means the titre test won’t be needed. I will try to fund the relevant document.

As for the cost of the test, there are only 2 labs in the U.K. who can do it. Two years ago when we had ours done the lab charge was £55 + VAT. This will give you some idea of what your vet should charge. An Animal Health Certificate will also be needed, for which the vet will also charge. Expensive, yes, but not too bad when compared to kennel fees!

If you are worried about the test coming back negative, get another vaccination done first. Quite a few dogs do fail.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't like the sound of that. I am now a resident of Spain. I have three dogs, one with a British passport and two with Spanish passports. My dogs travel with me at all times.
Does needing an AHC mean that if I were to visit UK it could possibly cost me €300 to be allowed to return to Spain with my dogs? Will that also possibly be on top of them each needing tbe titre blood test.
If so, it could permanently be "farewell green and pleasant land".
Yup, worse case scenario.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back