Any one driven from UK, through France to Spain in recent days? (3 Viewers)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has any of you Funsters driven through France into Spain in the last 7-10 days and if so was there any issue on the border re Covid check etc, any special documents required, PCR test? I’ve given up on trying to catch the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander at the same time arrange the results from a Covid test to be available within 72 hours of setting foot in Spain. A PCR test that would guarantee us getting the results in time would cost £590.00 for the two of us. Then the ferry could be delayed! So I am trying to explore the possibilities of driving through France via the tunnel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Not sure if this helps but we returned from Spain a few days ago. Murcia- Teruel- Labenne- Bordeaux-Tours- Neufchâtel-en-Bray - Calais. We did a mixture of motorways and A roads and only saw police at one northbound peage station, they weren’t interested in us. We saw no police at any regional or national border , north or southbound,until we arrived at the tunnel.
Wonder how long it takes before the first ‘more holy than thou’ comment saying how you shouldn’t be travelling beyond your parish border.👌😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I do not think I am "holier than thou" firstly, I have no idea how "holy you are".

I will stay at home whilst the restrictions are on as a matter of a: self preservation and b: respect for others and c: the relevant rules in my area, ie no leisure travel of more than 20kms

you do as you like, you should not need other to tell you what is right or wrong in your circumstances.

make tour own decisions, and accept the consequences.

life is simple

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Not sure if this helps but we returned from Spain a few days ago. Murcia- Teruel- Labenne- Bordeaux-Tours- Neufchâtel-en-Bray - Calais. We did a mixture of motorways and A roads and only saw police at one northbound peage station, they weren’t interested in us. We saw no police at any regional or national border , north or southbound,until we arrived at the tunnel.
Wonder how long it takes before the first ‘more holy than thou’ comment saying how you shouldn’t be travelling beyond your parish border.👌😂
Said it yourself

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I do not think I am "holier than thou" firstly, I have no idea how "holy you are".

I will stay at home whilst the restrictions are on as a matter of a: self preservation and b: respect for others and c: the relevant rules in my area, ie no leisure travel of more than 20kms

you do as you like, you should not need other to tell you what is right or wrong in your circumstances.

make tour own decisions, and accept the consequences.

life is simple
To be succinct I didn’t post my question to give you a platform to voice an opinion, which you clearly went out of your way to do. Your opinion is exactly that, yours and certainly isn’t shared by everyone on this site. If you can’t offer a constructive answer I respectively ask you to keep your opinions to yourself. When I feel the need for any moral or lifestyle guidance I will without question private message you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
To be succinct I didn’t post my question to give you a platform to voice an opinion, which you clearly went out of your way to do. Your opinion is exactly that, yours and certainly isn’t shared by everyone on this site. If you can’t offer a constructive answer I respectively ask you to keep your opinions to yourself. When I feel the need for any moral or lifestyle guidance I will without question private message you.
he wasn't talking about you.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
A poster on Facebook reported a trouble free journey from Spain back to their residence in the U.K. this morning, which is a permissible journey. They stated that police were stopping vehicles headed in the opposite direction near the Spanish border.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
France's Lockdown not lifted until Dec 25th ( Hopefully )
A poster on Facebook reported a trouble free journey from Spain back to their residence in the U.K. this morning, which is a permissible journey. They stated that police were stopping vehicles headed in the opposite direction near the Spanish border.
France's Lockdown not lifted until Dec 15th ( Hopefully )

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Gone off, it is your own fault that you are getting slagged off, you probably know how a lot of us feel on here about the travelling and it looks like you were expecting it. If you are so proud of dodging the police why do’nt you keep it to yourself instead of causing the comments you now do not like.

I and a lot of others have tried their best during this awful period to protect ourselves from this virus and hopefully not be in a position to pass the infection onto others. I am 76 years old and hope to have a lot more years of motorhoming in front of me so if it means I have to be carefull for a few more months then I can put up with that, what I do not want is to run into some idiot that has virus through unthoughfullness and passes it onto me and goodness how many others.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
source.gif

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
& someone else has just posted on here travelling from Caen to spain arriving yesterday/today no problems anywhere apart from some snow.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Let's be honest here: I dont think anyone is on here posting content about travelling, regardless of what direction they are travelling in, in an attempt to be provocative or to stick their fingers up at anyone.

But, I'm sensing that some people who have made the choice to stay put, isolate and comply with the confusing and somewhat contradictory guidelines, quite enjoy taking the high ground and thrive on being judgemental towards people who don't share their idealism?

I'm currently travelling through all the tiers in the UK, but I do so in my lorry as I have to earn a living, and the DfT have instructed us (RHA members) that absolutely all logistics should continue as normal if possible, regardless of whether you are transporting pharmaceuticals, building materials or whatever, (boats in my case).

My point is that I have tried to maintain a high degree of care and consideration and have taken as many precautions as possible to protect myself and others. But, if I was doing this mileage in a motorhome I'm sure I'd get a moral beating off the righteous amongst us who would jump at the opportunity to take the moral high ground and verbally crucify me.

I just think that if someone posts a question about travelling, as in, looking for updates etc, the people who dont agree with it should just click on the next post, rather than posting their views on morality and the distain they feel for others who don't buy into their ethos. It really isn't helpful and isn't relevant to the original question being asked.

Perhaps a sub forum could be started where people could post their grievances on society in general? Then at least they would be able to vent their frustrations without clouding topics with unhelpful preaching.

Let's face it, you've got more chance of catching it and/or spreading it down at Lidl, Aldi Tesco or Morrisons and you're probably safer with 2 up in a moho not coming into contact with anyone else?

Just my opinion and not taking any moral high ground.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Gone off, it is your own fault that you are getting slagged off, you probably know how a lot of us feel on here about the travelling and it looks like you were expecting it. If you are so proud of dodging the police why do’nt you keep it to yourself instead of causing the comments you now do not like.

I and a lot of others have tried their best during this awful period to protect ourselves from this virus and hopefully not be in a position to pass the infection onto others. I am 76 years old and hope to have a lot more years of motorhoming in front of me so if it means I have to be carefull for a few more months then I can put up with that, what I do not want is to run into some idiot that has virus through unthoughfullness and passes it onto me and goodness how many others.
Unintentionally my post appears to have attracted opinionated individuals who must wait like coiled springs for an opportunity to hijack a post to use as a personal platform in order voice whatever opinion they have rather than offer of anything constructive relating to the question.
I’m also curious to know where I have indicated in the post my wish to try and dodge police. To clarify, my objective is to travel legally to Spain, not to discuss the moral aspects of legitimate travel during a pandemic or the finer points of epidemiology with an attention pursuing respondent who wishes to convey a personal opinion

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
We are booked on the tunnel to travel through for a number of weeks now, we are ready to go mid jan should all be well.

I too agree that taking care and travelling/ isolating in the MH is very safe, but it still doesnt come under the scope of being within rules/guidance so have to stick to the rules.

I was stuck away during the first lockdown and had to get home, and it was a nervy experience travelling and stopping in places where we were not wanted.

As long as you stick to the rules/guidance, good luck to you I say.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Let's be honest here: I dont think anyone is on here posting content about travelling, regardless of what direction they are travelling in, in an attempt to be provocative or to stick their fingers up at anyone.

But, I'm sensing that some people who have made the choice to stay put, isolate and comply with the confusing and somewhat contradictory guidelines, quite enjoy taking the high ground and thrive on being judgemental towards people who don't share their idealism?

I'm currently travelling through all the tiers in the UK, but I do so in my lorry as I have to earn a living, and the DfT have instructed us (RHA members) that absolutely all logistics should continue as normal if possible, regardless of whether you are transporting pharmaceuticals, building materials or whatever, (boats in my case).

My point is that I have tried to maintain a high degree of care and consideration and have taken as many precautions as possible to protect myself and others. But, if I was doing this mileage in a motorhome I'm sure I'd get a moral beating off the righteous amongst us who would jump at the opportunity to take the moral high ground and verbally crucify me.

I just think that if someone posts a question about travelling, as in, looking for updates etc, the people who dont agree with it should just click on the next post, rather than posting their views on morality and the distain they feel for others who don't buy into their ethos. It really isn't helpful and isn't relevant to the original question being asked.

Perhaps a sub forum could be started where people could post their grievances on society in general? Then at least they would be able to vent their frustrations without clouding topics with unhelpful preaching.

Let's face it, you've got more chance of catching it and/or spreading it down at Lidl, Aldi Tesco or Morrisons and you're probably safer with 2 up in a moho not coming into contact with anyone else?

Your response is considered, well written and welcomed but of course that’s my opinion 😂

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are booked on the tunnel to travel through for a number of weeks now, we are ready to go mid jan should all be well.

I too agree that taking care and travelling/ isolating in the MH is very safe, but it still doesnt come under the scope of being within rules/guidance so have to stick to the rules.

I was stuck away during the first lockdown and had to get home, and it was a nervy experience travelling and stopping in places where we were not wanted.

As long as you stick to the rules/guidance, good luck to you I say.
Like you we wish to travel in January but for us we are hoping fo the first week. Like yourselves we would not wish to travel illegally/outside individual countries guide lines. I’m just trying to keep abreast of the situation. It looks like we will also be using the tunnel as obtaining a RTPCR to catch the ferry from Portsmouth is fraught with logistical problems.

I hope we are both able to get away in January. Thank you for your response and good luck

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Your response is considered, well written and welcomed but of course that’s my opinion 😂
I'm confused? I was actually supporting your post, so apologies if you thought I was criticising you. It was the unhelpful content of the people more intent on preaching that I was referring to.

I hope yours and anyone else's plans to get away works out, and I hope you get all the pertinent information you ask for.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm confused? I was actually supporting your post, so apologies if you thought I was criticising you. It was the unhelpful content of the people more intent on preaching that I was referring to.

I hope yours and anyone else's plans to get away works out, and I hope you get all the pertinent information you ask for.
Please don’t be confused, my comments of “well written” and “considered” were truly well meant and I truly thank you for them.
Safe travels

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

You were very supportive, thank you. No need to apologise whatsoever. I suspect the confusion arose with the word “opinion” which I used tongue in cheek following a couple of responses unrelated to the original question I asked received from respondents which you have obviously read.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
This is such an emotive subject. The pandemic has been devastating for the country with deaths, illness and lost livelihoods.

Many people are unable to see their friends and families and many are suffering with their mental health. It’s been a difficult year and continues to be challenging.

It is not surprising that this thread has attracted the posts questioning the wisdom of travel, at this time, under the circumstances.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
It's the same few people jumping on any thread that mentions travelling at the moment and from my experience of travelling since July ( completely legally) it's not representative of the opinions of the majority of people in the real world although of course that could be skewed as I'm not likely to meet any of those as they aren't leaving the house for the last 8 months or the next 6.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Far too many people in glass houses throwing stones on this forum of late.

We had a Friend who drove from Islay down to Portugal a few weeks ago, no issues. Also, some friends who drove from Caen to Alicante, again, no Issues last week.

There are some of us who will choose to travel, when we are allowed to. We were due to travel to Spain for legal reasons but had to postpone due to restrictions.

We do intend to travel to Spain at some point in the next few weeks, dependent on restrictions at the time of travel.

A ferry booked direct to Spain and a Ferry to France.

After spending most of the last 9 months risking our lives, having to meet and help others. Along with having to visit the local supermarkets to shop for food. We will be heading to our house in Spain, just the two of us, travelling in a car. Where we will self isolate for at least 4 weeks.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Bloody well said !

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Is a forum not a place for opinions ??? or is it that you only wish to receive opinions that reflect your own?? I did not go out of my way, I was already sat at my computer. I hope not everyone has the same opinions as I, that would be a very boring life, do you not think ???

I thought my reply was considered and constructive. "Keep your comments to yourself" would surely mean the end off the forum as the basis of the forum is for each and every member to have the right to aire their views with an equal weight.
Might I respectfully suggest, that, if you do not wish to receive comments/feedback then do not post on an open forum. Or, state clearly, "These are my views/opinions and I do not wish them to be challenged/commented upon" but then, what would be the point of posting in the first place????

I never offered you any guidance moral or otherwise, and should you require such, please DO NOT ask me, I am not qualified to offer you what you may need.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back