Any one driven from UK, through France to Spain in recent days? (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We arrived in Benidorm today, having driven down in our car for the past two days. We had no questions from French immigration at the tunnel or elsewhere and it was normal plain sailing all the way down. We kept ourselves to ourselves not mixing at service stations, but felt fairly safe when we had to mix.
Cheers.
Ed

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having upset a few people here will try to earn a few brownie points back by helping out. Before going our concern is about traffic noise based on some feedback we've seen!

However overall looks good to us and excited to be leaving in less than 48 hours.......

Aug 10, 2014
Dorset by the sea
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 Classic
Exp
Since 2016
Following on from my post yesterday...
Today I have travelled from Vitoria-Gasteiz down to Puerto Laprice about 85 miles south of Madrid. I’m now on a small free Aire with no-one else here at the moment, which suits me fine. Nothing untoward to report, a straightforward drive down and round Madrid and no roadblocks seen today.
I have 235 miles left to get to my site in Andalucia, so should be there tomorrow afternoon, if I have any updates I’ll let you know.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Just woke up, All Good, No Issues at All, Bonus : The Weather is Playing Ball as well, Sunny all Day...
Screenshot_20201217_081510_com.kal.searchforsites.searchforsites.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2014
Dorset by the sea
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 Classic
Exp
Since 2016
I have now arrived in Nerja. Straightforward drive today, no problems.
Overall the trip down from Caen has been without incident. Four longish days driving to 3 planned overnight stops on aires. Three fuel stops using self-service and pay at the pumps. All food and drink from own supplies.
No contact with anyone. I guess I’ve been lucky and things could have been different, but that’s me holed up for the next month at least.
All the best to any others planning to get away.
73910CC9-0822-414D-834B-2933E79FF1A3.jpeg

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Here I think, Unless her indoors wants to push on to Pamplona ?
Booked in Benni on the 19th,so no Hurry, Getting Sunnier and Warmer :) View attachment 449210
That’s where are friends are at tonight ,they love the place and are sat out side having a glass of wine in the sun 😊

Flim Flam

Free Member
Dec 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Comanche
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure if this helps but we returned from Spain a few days ago. Murcia- Teruel- Labenne- Bordeaux-Tours- Neufchâtel-en-Bray - Calais. We did a mixture of motorways and A roads and only saw police at one northbound peage station, they weren’t interested in us. We saw no police at any regional or national border , north or southbound,until we arrived at the tunnel.
Wonder how long it takes before the first ‘more holy than thou’ comment saying how you shouldn’t be travelling beyond your parish border.👌😂

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
So given developments over the last 24 hours this may not be useful to anyone.....

We drove and caught Eurotunnel Friday am, but were caught in some traffic due to the lorry backups and a closed junction so arrived around 8:30 while booked on an 8:30 train. Turns out our train was delayed by 2 hours but were on a train and moving by 9:20.

Drove down through France to about 100 miles North of the Spanish border Friday, and 150 miles short of Camping la Bella Vista Saturday. We stopped both nights in Motorway stops with no issues and had no contact except a masked payment of a couple of tolls which had to be done in person rather than by machine (card was sanitised after use).

Arrived here yesterday lunchtime and 1st impressions are very positive, we're on a pitch maybe 50m from the gate to the beach with a (limited) view out to sea. Wifi unusably slow but can be upgraded to "VIP" for €1 per day which is perfectly adequate while not excellent (I'm working so lot's of video calls). As a backup 4G connectivity is very good and between the two of us we have 80GB/month roaming so that should be good.

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
A lot has changed since Friday,you were lucky.

Yes.

Spain locks down inter-region travel on Wednesday until 6th Jan and I have to work today and tomorrow. After 1st January I fully expected UK to EU travel to be banned due to corona virus levels in the UK, particularly Kent, and this was before the new variant discussions over the last 3 days.

For us, the only gap where we were both allowed to travel and could travel was Fri-Sun. It's a fair hack which we did 90% of over two days and google maps tells me we drove 2460km (over 1500) miles from home. We took the fastest route we could paying tolls as we went, but had not allowed for fuel economy being 25-30% worse than normal as we were travelling at the speed limits and pushing up the hills rather than our previous more relaxed style....

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
the UK is the country of origin of a majority of tourists, accounting for 21% of all arrivals and 19% of tourist spending in 2019. It also noted that British nationals are the main foreign buyers of homes in Spain, representing 14% of all purchases by non-residents last year.

Source El Pais (employer association ceoe)

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Yes.

Spain locks down inter-region travel on Wednesday until 6th Jan and I have to work today and tomorrow. After 1st January I fully expected UK to EU travel to be banned due to corona virus levels in the UK, particularly Kent, and this was before the new variant discussions over the last 3 days.

For us, the only gap where we were both allowed to travel and could travel was Fri-Sun. It's a fair hack which we did 90% of over two days and google maps tells me we drove 2460km (over 1500) miles from home. We took the fastest route we could paying tolls as we went, but had not allowed for fuel economy being 25-30% worse than normal as we were travelling at the speed limits and pushing up the hills rather than our previous more relaxed style....
Thanks Dom

We have postponed our planned escape until we establish exact situation regarding reopening borders.

I had read that Murcia had closed his borders, was not aware the rest of Spain had also blocked inter-region travel also, so that puts a different spin on things as we may get across channel, but not down through Spain!!

Have fun, enjoy the sun. We will have to search out some sites in UK still open to fulltimers like us

Merry Christmas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back