Scammers sabotage my car then try to knock the price down (1 Viewer)

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I post this experience in the hope that anyone trying to sell their Moho privately is alerted to be on their guard against scammers who will screw you over given half a chance. Reluctantly we have decided to sell our beloved Audi after having it for 10years. It has been a fantastic car and never missed a beat. Imagine my horror when two scum bags arrived yesterday after telling me they were really interested and wanted a reliable car to get them between here and Belarus. I made the mistake of parking the car on my neighbours drive as ours was full and clearly with hindsight they got to the car and squirted oil up one of the exhaust pipes before coming to my house (I got a photo of a trail of fresh oil coming from the rear of the car on my neighbours clean drive). With hindsight I now believe one of them distracted me by asking to look at the spare, while the other squirted oil in the coolant overflow tank. While we test drove the car (with me oblivious to what they had done) he complained that there was smoke coming from the exhaust, which never happens, and then as he checked the oil and coolant to my horror he had thick black oil on his fingers from the coolant. He started telling me the head gasket had gone. They offered me £1500 less than the asking price and fortunately I wasn’t conned. I knew the car was sound and couldn’t believe the head gasket could have gone in the 2 mile drive we had taken. It wasn’t until I returned the car to my neighbours drive that I found the trail of oil on his drive. Even then it took me a couple of hours to work out what had gone on. They continued to offer to buy the car claiming that I must be mad to keep the car and spend £1500 only to sell it at the same price. To my amazement they have continued to call me and send texts asking if I have consulted my mechanic yet. A Narrow escape and I spent today getting the oil out of the coolant before I can show the car to other interested buyers. Unfortunately it is going to need a full flush as some must have got circulated into the system on the test drive. Please share this widely as most of us just don’t expect people to be so unscrupulous and it’s easy to get caught out. My daughter found the article below on the internet and this is exactly what happened to me. It isn't new but since this is something most of us do every 10 years or so we aren't all as savvy as we need to be against these scum bags. Take care

https://www.google.co.uk/.../scammers-try-to-trick.../amp/
See less

Attachments

• drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 188

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I post this experience in the hope that anyone trying to sell their Moho privately is alerted to be on their guard against scammers who will screw you over given half a chance. Reluctantly we have decided to sell our beloved Audi after having it for 10years. It has been a fantastic car and never missed a beat. Imagine my horror when two scum bags arrived yesterday after telling me they were really interested and wanted a reliable car to get them between here and Belarus. I made the mistake of parking the car on my neighbours drive as ours was full and clearly with hindsight they got to the car and squirted oil up one of the exhaust pipes before coming to my house (I got a photo of a trail of fresh oil coming from the rear of the car on my neighbours clean drive). With hindsight I now believe one of them distracted me by asking to look at the spare, while the other squirted oil in the coolant overflow tank. While we test drove the car (with me oblivious to what they had done) he complained that there was smoke coming from the exhaust, which never happens, and then as he checked the oil and coolant to my horror he had thick black oil on his fingers from the coolant. He started telling me the head gasket had gone. They offered me £1500 less than the asking price and fortunately I wasn’t conned. I knew the car was sound and couldn’t believe the head gasket could have gone in the 2 mile drive we had taken. It wasn’t until I returned the car to my neighbours drive that I found the trail of oil on his drive. Even then it took me a couple of hours to work out what had gone on. They continued to offer to buy the car claiming that I must be mad to keep the car and spend £1500 only to sell it at the same price. To my amazement they have continued to call me and send texts asking if I have consulted my mechanic yet. A Narrow escape and I spent today getting the oil out of the coolant before I can show the car to other interested buyers. Unfortunately it is going to need a full flush as some must have got circulated into the system on the test drive. Please share this widely as most of us just don’t expect people to be so unscrupulous and it’s easy to get caught out. My daughter found the article below on the internet and this is exactly what happened to me. It isn't new but since this is something most of us do every 10 years or so we aren't all as savvy as we need to be against these scum bags. Take care

See less
:oops: :cry: Horrendous.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Similar used to happen regularly at car auctions but security is now pretty good and they also check the wiring under the bonnet has not been unplugged if a car wont start

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Ive heard of swapping plug leads on a Volvo 240 at an auction many many years ago! I Did get it for a great price tho😉😁😁😁 dunno who swapped em, had a look under bonnet, swapped em round and drive it home😁

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
When they phoned back I would have told them it sold for £2,500 less than the advertised price
& thank them for pointing out the problems, that really annoys them
or tell them that you couldn't risk selling it if faulty, so it went to the scrap yard. Then when they ask which one tell them one 50 miles away so they waste their time too

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Make sure you have a few mates over then invite them back on the pretence of accepting their offer.
When they arrive tell them you sold it a few minutes ago for the asking price.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Years ago I was driving from S.Wales to Home in North Wales with a newly bought classic Elddis Autoquest motorhome. It's a 4 hour drive. Half way home I noticed a car following Me and it did follow Me for about 20 minutes. I was just taking My time home and there was a few places the car could have easily over took Me but didn't. The car following did eventually over take Me on a long straight with a blind bend.
As I drove around the bend the car was 'parked' in the middle of the road and the driver and passenger were sat in the 'brace' position by a Right hand T junction waiting for Me to hit them.
Luckily I slammed on the anchors { brakes } and some how managed to stop just short of hitting them.
The Elddis even though it was a classic had only done 18,000 miles so the brakes were spot on.
The Ambulance chasers didn't get out of there car they just turned Right down the T junction and sped off.

OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
This is one of the reasons we just px, really don’t need the hassle. I know we probably don’t get as much money but we are not dealers so take the easy life.
Yes I may end up doing something similar but too late to px

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another one often used at auctions and no doubt other places is to draw a line up the side of a spark plug using a pencil
The grafite line will course the spark to short and a misfire occurs

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Another one often used at auctions and no doubt other places is to draw a line up the side of a spark plug using a pencil
Difficult one today.
Very few, if any, modern cars have a distributor and HT leads.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Difficult one today.
Very few, if any, modern cars have a distributor and HT leads.
Thats true, but they still have spark plugs
Pull up a coil pack, stripe the plug and push the pack back on

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years

See less
This is a common scam that our European cousins seem to be quite fond of doing.
Never leave the car unattended and follow the guy who isn’t interested in asking the questions.
The easy way to get rid of the oil is to put some washing powder in with clean water and run it till warm. Drain and repeat once cooled down until the header tank looks like new then replenish the coolant

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Years ago in Lagos Nigeria I was warned about a scam. Your driving slowly through the crowded streets when a boy runs up and says something is hanging down from your car, he ducks down reaching under and after a very short while pops up with a half melted plastic bag. It was stuck to the exhaust he says. Being a generous European you of course give him a tip and drive on. A few hundred yards later a car nearly pulls out in front off you so you brake sharply, then your engine stalls and will not restart. The other car drives off so you try again to start the motor, no luck. A friendly looking guy in oily overalls walks over and offers to help, he fiddles under the bonnet then declares the coil has failed, probably when you stopped hard. He has a shop nearby so takes your coil and soon returns quickly fitting a new one. All is well, the car starts OK. You pay him and drive off happily thinking how nice the locals are and how cheap the spares are. The mechanic then gives the small metal clip that had been slipped on the fuel pipe back to the boy who waits, with his plastic bag, for the next victim. Every one is happy, the boy, the mechanic and you. The only outlay the mechanic had was the aerosol paint to respray your original coil.

OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
....so what car is it for sale? Details needed!
I wasnt trying to sell it on this site just to make people aware to watch out for this when trying to sell their Mohos. It is an Audi A8, 3.0 TDI, 2007, 95500. I have had it since 2010. If interested pm me

Deleted User
Many years ago I was looking at a car for sale at an auction. The car was less than 1 year old, low mileage, excellent condition. When I looked under the bonnet the engine rocker cover was covered in oil and drips falling on the ground. I was talking to one of the auction staff and said it was a regular problem, potential buyers pouring oil over engine trying to give impression of major engine fault to get car at reduced price.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Many years ago I was looking at a car for sale at an auction. The car was less than 1 year old, low mileage, excellent condition. When I looked under the bonnet the engine rocker cover was covered in oil and drips falling on the ground. I was talking to one of the auction staff and said it was a regular problem, potential buyers pouring oil over engine trying to give impression of major engine fault to get car at reduced price.

How does that work if the seller left the car there days ago with a reserve on it? Unless it just put off other bidders, but the reserve still stood.

Deleted User
How does that work if the seller left the car there days ago with a reserve on it? Unless it just put off other bidders, but the reserve still stood.
If they got the vehicle for the reserve price they would probably be quite happy.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If it does not reach the reserve cos bidders get put off, the scammer then goes in with a low bid 'off the books'

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
A customer of mine many years ago brought an old Rover from the auction cheaply because it
Was missing, when he got home he removed the plugs and found one oily with no gap,
He thought result :LOL: Put a new plug in and started her but still missing,
That’s when I got involved, no compression at all on number 2 so removed the cylinder head,
Looking down the bore their was no piston or conrod and the crankshaft journal was badly worn,

the oil feed to the crankshaft on number 2 cylinder had been welded up so it had oil pressure for the
Other three cylinders, Basically the engine was scrap, so the cheap buy at the auction was anything but,
Caveat emptor,

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
error

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back