Advice for parents wanting to travel to spain this winter.. (6 Viewers)

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Hi all. I hope everybody is well.Im after a bit of advice for my parents.They are retired in there late 60's and usually make there way down to spain jan/feb to escape the brisk british weather. The pandemic has somewhat unsettled them and unsure wether they will make it to the sunshine this winter. The main reason is the insurance factor,has anybody got any advice on the best and reasonably priced health insurance they could look into as i think this is a must just incase they were to contract anything while away. We have heard good reports of people following the rules in spain and its a safe place to be.
Many thanks

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would watch and wait for a bit longer and certainly not book anything at the moment unless they want to go no matter what happens with infection rates as unless the FO advice changes they are unlikely to get any insurance that covers them changing their plans. Also of course it's likely to be a different experience to more normal times.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Statistics would suggest that Spain is not as safe as you suggest. The coronavirus that originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan and spread to all Spanish regions had a higher transmission rate in the Spanish capital Madrid. In this autonomous community, some 3.9 thousand people out of every 100 thousand had been infected with COVID-19 as of October 8, 2020. Catalonia, one of the Spanish regions with the highest number of cases, had a transmission rate of 2 thousand cases every 100 thousand people as of the same date.
I'm sure that this will reflected in any insurance cover and costs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
You may find some helpful advice about medical cover on this current thread.........

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Statistics would suggest that Spain is not as safe as you suggest. The coronavirus that originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan and spread to all Spanish regions had a higher transmission rate in the Spanish capital Madrid. In this autonomous community, some 3.9 thousand people out of every 100 thousand had been infected with COVID-19 as of October 8, 2020. Catalonia, one of the Spanish regions with the highest number of cases, had a transmission rate of 2 thousand cases every 100 thousand people as of the same date.
There are lies,damned lies and statistics.Did you know that in 60% of deaths the people who died had eaten in the previous 4 hours, 80% had drank a beverage in the same time period but 100% had breathed air!! It's bloody breathing that kills you.BUSBY😁😁

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think bide your time and see what’s happening we certainly won’t be going if FCDO advise against it as no insurance available.
Also we could all be in lockdown here again which rules it out.😊
Stay safe everyone🤞

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I think bide your time and see what’s happening we certainly won’t be going if FCDO advise against it as no insurance available.
Also we could all be in lockdown here again which rules it out.😊
Stay safe everyone🤞
We have insurance,,BUSBY😁

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Did you obtain it before Spain being put on naughty step? If not may I ask who with please?😊
I have it every year with Nationwide Flex account..Multi trip at 90 days a trip.Was due for renewal when we were locked down in March but they put it in limbo until I notified them I would be travelling into France and Spain on Sept 1 st..Free with bank account for 30 days but I pay extra for 90 day extension plus age,,75 plus my wife's one health issue.Think it was 220 quid.Also get uk European break down cover with Flexi account.13 pound a month fee.BUSBY

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Speve, Staysure will provide it too. They'll cover for everything but Covid, it travelling against Foreign Office advice. We're waiting to see what develops, but if we could combine that type of insurance with that which appears to be being offered by some campsites in Spain, I think we'd probably take the risk.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Speve, Staysure will provide it too. They'll cover for everything but Covid, it travelling against Foreign Office advice. We're waiting to see what develops, but if we could combine that type of insurance with that which appears to be being offered by some campsites in Spain, I think we'd probably take the risk.
That sounds like it might work however if we go it’s got to be before end of year as we have not had dogs titre tested.
Like yourselves we are watching the situation😊

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Your E111 is still valid.BUSBY.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
That sounds like it might work however if we go it’s got to be before end of year as we have not had dogs titre tested.
Like yourselves we are watching the situation😊
If you're going before the end of the year, your EHIC will still be valid for use in whichever country you happen to be in on 31st Dec., until you leave that country.
Our dog has been titre tested, but I'm not sure he'll still be with us, by the time we're able to go :cry:.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you're going before the end of the year, your EHIC will still be valid for use in whichever country you happen to be in on 31st Dec., until you leave that country.
Our dog has been titre tested, but I'm not sure he'll still be with us, by the time we're able to go :cry:.
So sorry to hear that they are like family aren’t they 😢

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No

Is that for definite about the EHIC?

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017

This could be very helpful for a trip we hope to make to Spain in December-February. Can you confirm your source for this information please? Ideally it would be in a statement from the EU Commission, but the only reference I have found is on the UK FCO website for travel to Spain, which is not replicated on the travel details for other EU countries. If this applies only to Spain, I hope the hospitals/officials in Spain are aware of this extension of EHIC cover as otherwise I do not fancy my chances of arguing with them should we need medical assistance.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Were catching them up quick though might well be safer in a lot of Spain than Liverpool.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
You really are full of doom and gloom, you need to get out more. We are in Spain now and have never felt safer, if that twat Boris had made us all wear masks Everywhere things might have been different.

OP
OP
bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Well their seems to be a lot of mixed views. I feel they are going to leave it until the new year to see how things are then. Insurances are only going to rise while this virus is so rife. I think for them the problem is that if they were to catch the virus and get poorly while in a foreign country they would want the best of care. After talking to them this evening i dont think they will travel abroad this winter..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You really are full of doom and gloom, you need to get out more. We are in Spain now and have never felt safer, if that twat Boris had made us all wear masks Everywhere things might have been different.
I thought the wearing of masks in Spain is mandatory and enforced yet they have higher covid numbers than the rest of Europe. Are you sure you have thought this through bigtree... :unsure:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A fairer comparison would be to compare Liverpool with Madrid TW. How does that stack up.
By the end of the year who knows I wasn't being really serious!.. I wouldn't fancy the airport and plane getting there personally and said in a previous thread if they're all being sensible out there but there are still lots of new infections doesn't that mean if you go there and are sensible you still have a high risk of catching it like anyone else. The fact everyone is doing what they're told might give an illusion of safety but the stats would not seem to show that.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I thought the wearing of masks in Spain is mandatory and enforced yet they have higher covid numbers than the rest of Europe. Are you sure you have thought this through bigtree... :unsure:
Majority of cases are in the Madrid area,,quite low in some other parts of Spain. Barcelona for such a densely populated city have managed Covid much better.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back