Advice needed - solar panel disaster ... (5 Viewers)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Removing a solar panel from their mounts is fine, but as there is no universal sizing of solar panels, it very unlikely you will find another that will slip straight in as a replacement which rather nullifies the advantage the seller of the Aero Brackets claims.
Think I've found the answer to my query in the following link:

<Broken link removed>
I have this system with their panels, brackets and mppt controller. I think if I should need to replace one I’d expect Solar tech to still have panels of the same dimensions, otherwise pointless developing the system. I’m very pleased with it and they they look really smart and secure.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Removing a solar panel from their mounts is fine, but as there is no universal sizing of solar panels, it very unlikely you will find another that will slip straight in as a replacement which rather nullifies the advantage the seller of the Aero Brackets claims.

The solar panels they sell inconjuction with the aero bracket have a depth of 35mm. This depth seems fairly standard for the smaller panels.

They supply 2 aero brackets for £30 to be fitted either end. Their claim that you can remove the panel sideways, rather depends on what other clutter you have on the roof. Think I'd rather just have the aero on the leading edge and normal aluminium brackets elsewhere.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think if I should need to replace one I’d expect Solar tech to still have panels of the same dimensions
Let's hope that as solar cell technology moves on and cells become more efficient and small, that Solar Technology International hold back some stock for you. :xwink:

otherwise pointless developing the system.

1576436485837.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Every time I read about folk removing stuff I cringe

why??

the residual value will be very low and the risk of failure or damage high

maybe even increasing the risk of failure due to partial removal ?
I agree, more trouble than it’s worth.
But I used the word replace. I’m thinking in terms of if it was faulty or damaged. In theory with the solar tech system it’s 8 screws or bolts and then hopefully slides out. But no desire to do it.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Is there any chance you could give a clue as to the dealer?
Campbells ?
I thought They made Soup?
I wouldn't trust Campbells of Preston to make anything but a c@@k up :xeek:

I would prefer not to name the dealer until I speak to the service manager on Tuesday. If they wash their hands of the matter, as was suggested by my initial contact with one of the Sales Directors on Saturday afternoon, I will be delighted to name and shame in a review.

But, for the record, I’ve not heard of Campbells of Preston ?.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I would prefer not to name the dealer until I speak to the service manager on Tuesday. If they wash their hands of the matter, as was suggested by my initial contact with one of the Sales Directors on Saturday afternoon, I will be delighted to name and shame in a review.

Remind them that good reputations are hard earned and easily lost, that's providing they have a good one in the first place.

Apr 23, 2010
Katikati, New Zealand
Funster No
We've had 4 new Autotrail Delawares, each one has had factory fitted solar panel glued-only (Sikaflex) brackets to the roof. In each van I've cut off the factory panels (a pig of a job with the cheese wire tool) and glued new, larger panels on using Sikaflex only, with aluminium angle as brackets, screwed to the panels, and glued the original panel back in a different position. Never had a hint of a problem in 7 years of driving across Europe and New Zealand at high speed sometimes and on some very rough roads. This problem is undoubtedly very poor workmanship.

Jan 31, 2013
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
Hi Folks
Sorry to hear about your dilemma.
Google : bimblesolar that's where I got mine from. mine is a 260 watt and with an mppt regulator controller it cost about £207.00 delivered.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I don't think that's the case, the dealer has a duty of care and it is reasonable to expect them to fulfill that duty properly.
Even a fork truck driver loads wrong and bit drop off, it is the driver who is held responsible
It is always the driver of the vehicle'
If it DID happen the driver can sue the person they hold responsible but that is a civil matter

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Even a fork truck driver loads wrong and bit drop off, it is the driver who is held responsible
It is always the driver of the vehicle'
If it DID happen the driver can sue the person they hold responsible but that is a civil matter
I agree a commercial driver is responsible for his vehicle being safe, but there is a difference between a uneven or insecure load and a component not fitted correctly. If a mechanic didn't secure a brake cable and the vehicle is in a fatal car crash then the mechanic and his employer are responsible in law, not the unsuspecting driver who had engaged a business with the necessary skills to repair his brakes.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I agree a commercial driver is responsible for his vehicle being safe, but there is a difference between a uneven or insecure load and a component not fitted correctly. If a mechanic didn't secure a brake cable and the vehicle is in a fatal car crash then the mechanic and his employer are responsible in law, not the unsuspecting driver who had engaged a business with the necessary skills to repair his brakes.
I would check that with a legal eagle.. It is possible something has changed in recent months but I have not heard of anything
A person driving a car with a fault whether it has been caused by him / her self or a third party is still liable to prosecution ... AND the fitter may well be investigated too
In the case of a faulty break line, the driver will almost certainly be let off with a caution, but will be cautioned and charged in the first instance.
As to whether it makes it to court is another matter ( in the case stated and the case in question it involves something 'out of site' so incredibly unlikely CPS would continue with the case )
However, if a third party is injured either physically or fiscally, it will be the driver they come for, and the driver will be left to take the fitting company to task
It would not be possible for the third party to pursue the fitting company

The law in such matters is quite clear and not ambiguous at all
The person driving the vehicle is the person responsible for the condition and roadworthyness

It is so worded to stop the exact scenario described ( as in chasing round the blame game table )

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I would check that with a legal eagle.. It is possible something has changed in recent months but I have not heard of anything
A person driving a car with a fault whether it has been caused by him / her self or a third party is still liable to prosecution ... AND the fitter may well be investigated too
In the case of a faulty break line, the driver will almost certainly be let off with a caution, but will be cautioned and charged in the first instance.
As to whether it makes it to court is another matter ( in the case stated and the case in question it involves something 'out of site' so incredibly unlikely CPS would continue with the case )
However, if a third party is injured either physically or fiscally, it will be the driver they come for, and the driver will be left to take the fitting company to task

The person driving the vehicle is the person responsible for the condition and roadworthyness

It is so worded to stop the exact scenario described ( as in chasing round the blame game table )
I think we will agree to differ.

Deleted User

The driver would have to be proven to be negligent in order to prosecute. If they were not aware of and not expected to be aware of an issue then then would not be held responsible. If you had your brake pads or discs replaced by a reputable garage and they were done incorrectly causing a major incident then there is no way the driver would be help responsible.

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
I cannot believe they screwed the sola panel brackets to the roof of his motorhome. This dealer should be named and shamed.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Relying solely on something like a bunch of self tap screws to hold a Solar panel is IMV a recipe for disaster. Most roof covering is either thin aluminium or GRP. (or similar). In none of these cases will they resist the potential forces for long. Providing the preparation is done properly, modern adhesives are far more reliable. Sure if you want belt and braces, chuck some screws into the mix. But then you have to aware that the Waterproof Skin has been breached.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Where did this relying solely on something like a bunch of self tap screws to hold a solar panel spring from within the thread ?
I think there some crossed wires creeping in here.

Malachy

Free Member
Mar 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
New campervan
Exp
We picked our van up from Preston today - it had been back at the dealers for a week for habitation service and a couple of bits and pieces.

Driving back onto M6 north Tim heard a noise ... initially he thought he’d lost a rooflight but when we stopped at Gretna he discovered the solar panel had ripped off.

It wasn’t nice weather .. sleet, rain, hail, blustery winds but we’ve driven in far worse.

Dealers initial response was freak weather/bad luck. The van’s only a year old and dealer had solar fitted for us.

We’ve still not been able to check the roof for damage ... that’ll be tomorrow when we have light.

Has anyone else had this? Are we unlucky or might it have not been fitted securely? We did have an issue with the number plates and LED lights falling off because the double sided tape had been applied when it was too cold but we just sorted that ourselves.

I suppose next question is where to go to get a new solar panel? We live in Ayr so ideally Glasgow or central/south west Scotland.
And what’s the most powerful/cost effective one to buy.

Thanks, in hope.
Ya very poor job that should not happen if it had been done right and oljy after a year you should not pay

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I hope the OP isn't bending over and taking this up the tailpipe on this issue, as this is night and day a clear cut case of poor workmanship by the dealer.
Solar panels simply don't fall off in the way this one has unless someone royally screwed up (or forgot to screw up!!!)
I for one would like to hear a update at some point about how the dealer is going to put this right!!

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I hope the OP isn't bending over and taking this up the tailpipe on this issue, as this is night and day a clear cut case of poor workmanship by the dealer.
Solar panels simply don't fall off in the way this one has unless someone royally screwed up (or forgot to screw up!!!)
I for one would like to hear a update at some point about how the dealer is going to put this right!!

Email was sent to dealer yesterday. I know service manager isn’t in till tomorrow. I will expect an initial response by end of Wednesday.

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Sadly this did possibly do a lot of damage to following vehicles , there still might be some follow up from police and insurance companies if someone saw it come off

not really sure where you stand on reporting it , personally I would keep my head down and hope nothing more was heard but as you know more or less where it happened that might make you more accountable

hope nothing more comes of the unknown ?
Surely then, you should inform your insurance company - and ask them to claim on your behalf from the dealer whose work has failed - and whose poor work has therefore cost you money, and maybe caused others to cost or damage also.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
No need to screw...use the aero full width brackets and bond on with Sika or similar bonding adhesive and it won't budge..poor service all round from dealer..

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Surely then, you should inform your insurance company - and ask them to claim on your behalf from the dealer whose work has failed - and whose poor work has therefore cost you money, and maybe caused others to cost or damage also.

That is an option but making a claim of any sort will cost me in insurance on all my vehicles (first world problem, I know).

Duckato

Free Member
Sep 15, 2018
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Just like the posts you made about this on Facebook opinion is divided there is the mechanical fixing and the glue it camps and this discussion will be had endlessly every time this problem occurs

one thing is absolutely certain we see repeatedly reports of glued on panels becoming detatched.

this is not a case of right or wrong nor is it a case of people saying it ok just because theirs has stayed stuck on, this is case of a 20kg object that could easily kill someone. I think people are forgetting that.

Sadly it is almost inevitable with the explosion in self builds and the often appalling subsequent build standard we are occasionally witnessing that it is now only a matter of time before someone is killed by a detached panel

I personally did not want to take that risk and I made the decision to bolt mine on
That was my choice based on my belief it was the right thing to do in order to minimise any chance of my actions injuring or killing anyone.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
one thing is absolutely certain we see repeatedly reports of glued on panels becoming detatched.
I am not sure who the "we" are but MHF is the largest internet forum dedicated to motorhomes and this is the first thread I have read with a first hand report of a solar panel detaching.

And, if you had read the thread through you would have seen that this report is not about the brackets detaching from the roof. The OP has reported that the brackets remained attached. Instead the panel detached from the brackets. Those are usually attached with mechanical fittings, either screws, bolts or pop rivets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back