Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
These crit air toll thingies are for tourists.... the French don’t bother and nor do I.... been driving around France Germany Austria Belgium Croatia Luxembourg Italy Spain etc for years and not a problem yet....

So all of the vehicles in Paris with crit'air stickers, when we visited on our Harleys last month, were tourists....that explains all the crazy driving :)

Mick

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
They are cheap to buy as long as you use the official French site and not one of the scam sites that charge about five times as much. We bought one for the scooter as well. Also the German one. If you believe all the rubbish others say about the French not using them then you are in for an unpleasant and expensive fine. Also, they last for the life of the vehicle so I recommend you buy them now before the price goes up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
These crit air toll thingies are for tourists.... the French don’t bother and nor do I.... been driving around France Germany Austria Belgium Croatia Luxembourg Italy Spain etc for years and not a problem yet....

View attachment 335828
I don’t know why people keep saying this. The French buy into the scheme if they need to drive into zones where they apply.
We have Crit’air stickers and German emission stickers on both our vehicles because we might visit these places.

With the planned increase in the scheme, many more cities will require them and £3 isn’t a lot to spend to ensure you are covered.
I guess when we start hearing about UK reg vehicles being fined for not having the stickers, someone will suggest that only UK vehicles are being targeted........:rolleyes:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When ever we visit a large town or city in Europe we always park on the outskirts
and get the train, bus or tram in. It’s so easy for me in the wheelchair on public transport out there. It’s so much nicer to park up at an aire and get transport in then sitting in traffic trying to find somewhere to park....

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Still don’t think people understand this. Very few zones are permanent mainly around the odd city. The potential temporary zones which could be enforced at a moments notice are huge and you could be theoretically trapped in one unable to move in any direction.
Now I’m not saying that will happen. Just that it could. Cheap to avoid

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Why anyone wants to go to Europe anyway beats me, tolls, crits, speeding fines and terrible roads... expensive and full of foreigners

1569883014816.png

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Why anyone wants to go to Europe anyway beats me, tolls, crits, speeding fines and terrible roads... expensive and full of foreigners

View attachment 336045
True, best everyone keeps away and leaves it to us to suffer all the clear roads and good weather........

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So has anyone been fined for not having one yet? either Crit d'air or Umwelt sticker?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We have them, never needed them and do not intend going anywhere that might need them BUT one never knows where my next navigational error might take me.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Three different times I've ordered both French and German tickets and every time arrived within 4-5 days. This summer coming up near Grenoble we did inadvertently dip in to the zone and it was on a Sunday when the heat wave was at its height, the zone had been increased in size due to the emissions. So we think for the few euros they are worth it for not having to worry.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Still don’t think people understand this. Very few zones are permanent mainly around the odd city. The potential temporary zones which could be enforced at a moments notice are huge and you could be theoretically trapped in one unable to move in any direction.
Now I’m not saying that will happen. Just that it could. Cheap to avoid
This was the reason I got one, not because I would go near the big cities. Check the website to see all the areas that could be affected.
I think one area going into the Alps says that the conditions are most likely in winter which came as a surprise to me.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I have a crit d'air sticker on my campervan.

I haven't been challenged regarding it but have avoided Paris and Lyon (I think Grenobles was thinking of introducing it as well when I applied)
IIRC more French cities were to be added at a later date but for just 3 Euro's it was really a no brainer.

Graydo

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I have a crit d'air sticker on my campervan.

I haven't been challenged regarding it but have avoided Paris and Lyon (I think Grenobles was thinking of introducing it as well when I applied)
IIRC more French cities were to be added at a later date but for just 3 Euro's it was really a no brainer.

Graydo

If you download the Green Zones APP then you can find out just where they matter now

the simple answer is they cost almost nothing so getting one is worth the POTENTIAL fine through the post when you get home

Graydo - Grenoble is included in both the ZPAd and ZCR zonings (the ZPAd is department wide not just the city and the ZCR is the area covered by the Crit-Air badge specifically but the fines for the ZPAd are bigger

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I don’t do cities but we bought the German one because we had to drop my son off in Dortmund and the French Crit Air just incase.

We found a number of smaller German towns were full of cars with the sticker so it may be more widespread.

My desire to avoid Rouen at all costs inadvertently led to me driving along the banks of the Seine in west Paris. I was glad of my Crit Air. Baptism of fire driving the van though ?.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just ordered our Crit-Air for our new motorhome.

Living in France for part of the year we don’t tend to “over plan” our trips so are never sure where we will pass through. As a result we consider it worth paying for. Don’t forget that as well as permanent low emission zones there are areas where the Crit-Air cert my be required only when pollution is high. Not so easy to plan for.

Some members say they don’t bother and haven’t had a problem. True, but at 4.21€ for the sticker why have the worry.

Personal choice, of course.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We got both the French & The German ones, last year, they were very quick at sending them through the post to us.
I know the French one is mainly for Paris/Lyon at present time, but to be honest, I can never guarantee where we will end up trusting both The Garmin and the OH on navigation:eek:
So you could say, I got them as an additional insurance policy, against getting fines:)

LES

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We got ours to be on the safe side eg in case of diversion or in case another city comes in such as Rouen €3 no brainer to me
Plus- thanks to help on here it was very simple

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I posted this before, so apologies for doing so again. I really should allow those who want to get caught just get caught.
However, for those like me who would rather not pay even more for my hols

"
We drove down through France last summer with our Crit Air 2 on the windscreen.
Avoided Paris by going down via Rouen, then Orleons(I've left the wrong spelling in ). A75 to coast and stopped outside Beziers.
Then on down to Benicassim.
Back up to Argeles sur Mer onto Ruynes-en-Margeride. Never saw one! (but wasn't trying too hard to be honest).
We then drove over to Lyon for 2 nights to get into the city for the day.
They were everywhere, I couldn't miss them, and all colours. There were even a few on the campers on the campsite.
As we drove up through the country we saw a few, but as we got near Paris they increased again in number. "

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
A stumbling block for some seems to be the file size of the scanned V5 being too large. We converted ours from colour to black and white which was enough to reduce the file's size and still be accepted.

Wyn

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A stumbling block for some seems to be the file size of the scanned V5 being too large. We converted ours from colour to black and white which was enough to reduce the file's size and still be accepted.

Wyn
Copied mine as PDF and reduced the “quality” as far as possibly while leaving it legible. No problem.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Now there's a thing...

Acquired a Crit'Air certificate for my 2009 Cheyenne 4 tonne when it was UK registered a couple of years ago and got a Class 4 sticker. Completed the French registration last week and applied today for the new registration and they've classified it as a Class 3. I'm not complaining - never know when it might make a difference! :D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think the op is concerned about the v5 details being in the hands of the French dvla equivalent, makes it easier to send fines etc as on the fr database.
They are having no problem sending fines without you being on their database..They obviously have access to DVLA. BUSBY.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
They are having no problem sending fines without you being on their database..They obviously have access to DVLA. BUSBY.

Not for a Crit'Air offence, they don't.

The EU has put a system in place to share driver details across borders, for some safety-related driving offences:

• It only applies where the offender isn't penalised while still in the country
  • It only applies to specific, road safety-related offences:
    • Speeding
    • Drink/drug driving
    • Seatbelt/crash helmet
    • Red light/forbidden lane, and
    • Mobile phone offences

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not for a Crit'Air offence, they don't.

The EU has put a system in place to share driver details across borders, for some safety-related driving offences:

• It only applies where the offender isn't penalised while still in the country
  • It only applies to specific, road safety-related offences:
    • Speeding
    • Drink/drug driving
    • Seatbelt/crash helmet
    • Red light/forbidden lane, and
    • Mobile phone offences

So the only way you can be prosecuted for Crit D'air is if you are on that database?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
So the only way you can be prosecuted for Crit D'air is if you are on that database?

I would say the only way you can be prosecuted is if you are NOT on that database and get pulled being in the wrong place at the wrong time :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I would say the only way you can be prosecuted is if you are NOT on that database and get pulled being in the wrong place at the wrong time :)
I would guess that the camera will record your Reg plate, DVLA will provide your details.

Your choice, of course!

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
AFAIK its only enforced by cameras, unlike the german umwelt stickers which are only enforced by police.

If you followed my link in post #52, you'll see that 924 policiers were 'mobilised' in August for the campaign. All those tickets were issued manually. I haven't seen any suggestion here that cameras can, or will be used, for the Crit'Air issue - and even if they were, they could not use the DVLA database to trace the offender - so my other post #55.

Can you provide some evidence to support your suggestion?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back