Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
2008 Nissan Navara D40 (Euro 4) towing a 3.5 tonne 5th wheel

We set off for winter in Spain via Eurotunnel in November.
Our normal route is Autoroutes and N10 down the West coast to St Jean de Luz where we then climb up the Pyrenees, across to Zaragossa etc.

Considering that our intention is to get to the Med as fast (and safely) as possible, and the fact that due to ridiculous 1 night site fees we always come off the motorway and wild camp in deserted areas (forest etc - never towns and certainly not cities) whilst travelling through France, I don't believe that its worthwhile me getting a Crit Air sticker.
It's not so much the measly 3 euros that bothers me so much as the uploading of the V5 and the fact that I try to steer as clear as possible from bureaucracy.

So, should I.............or not?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
For the route you are taking you don't need it. It's mainly for larger towns and cities. Not many French vehicles display them. If you check on line the towns requiring one to be displayed will be indicated.
Enjoy your trip

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Many thanks for the reply. I've had a look at the French Crit Air web site but unfortunately got rather frustrated because as far as I can tell (self confessed Luddite!) it all seems to be geared to downloading the area maps by Apps where-as I'm on a Windows 10 lappy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Your choice, but as you say, the cost is minimal.

I just took a photo of the V5 with my phone and uploaded it.

I'm not at all technical, but it was straightforward.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Not needed on your way down, but things change quickly. Not a lot of effort, but peace of mind should there be a "route barre" and they can take you anywhere.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I think the op is concerned about the v5 details being in the hands of the French dvla equivalent, makes it easier to send fines etc as on the fr database.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I think the op is concerned about the v5 details being in the hands of the French dvla equivalent, makes it easier to send fines etc as on the fr database.

Don't think it will make any difference as they seem to already have a direct feed to the UK DVLA judging by the swift delivery of speeding tickets :D

Mick

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I can't see us driving into cities but I did get a Crit Air, took about 10 mins including scanning the v5, the website is good.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Many thanks for the reply. I've had a look at the French Crit Air web site but unfortunately got rather frustrated because as far as I can tell (self confessed Luddite!) it all seems to be geared to downloading the area maps by Apps where-as I'm on a Windows 10 lappy.

There is a simple way to find out the state of Where needs one and where doesn't on a daily basis that is Green Zones EU deals with all areas ZPA,ZCR,ZFE and ZPAd some zones are similar to the LEZ but without the charge

A Crit Air will be needed if you cross inside and ring road and there are some zones that come in and out as needed where certain sized engine vehicles will be banned on certain days.

As for the French having your details that's your opinion but if you don't break any rules of the road is it a worry ??

I do have one for both vehicles but it's your choice

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've never needed one but I've got one same with the German one for the few Euros they cost not worth the hassle if you get caught out.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
I can't see us driving into cities but I did get a Crit Air, took about 10 mins including scanning the v5, the website is good.
How long did it take to arrive?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That is my issue with it.
I'm under the impression that the foreign agencies are not able to link in and directly access our details, but they have to apply for it. I'm unable to find anything definitive on the DVLA website.

If this is the case then it is surely much easier to just access the information freely volunteered under the Crit d'air scheme making those more likely to be prosecuted for minor offences?

to be clear - This is a question not a statement and it's not about the 3 euros.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Not needed on your way down, but things change quickly. Not a lot of effort, but peace of mind should there be a "route barre" and they can take you anywhere.
I’ll second that ?. Been diverted a lot this trip because of random route barres. You never know where the diversions will take you ?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We applied whilst driving down through France! Not sure if we were going through Lyon or not, so uploaded log book and applied on line.

We got an invoice in an email which included a pdf copy of the sticker which we could print off on a campsite reception if needed.

As it was we drove non toll and skirted round Lyon well outside of the zone.

Still glad we got it though, for peace of mind.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I started to get one but it said my photos were to big so I gave up on it, been here three weeks without needing it.
But as others have said , if you can get one for three quid it's not really worth not having one.
I'll try again when I get home.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
That is my issue with it.
I'm under the impression that the foreign agencies are not able to link in and directly access our details, but they have to apply for it. I'm unable to find anything definitive on the DVLA website.

If this is the case then it is surely much easier to just access the information freely volunteered under the Crit d'air scheme making those more likely to be prosecuted for minor offences?

to be clear - This is a question not a statement and it's not about the 3 euros.

The exchange of information scheme only provides for a fairly limited range of serious offences.

I'm sure France has a data protection act like the UK and any misuse would be frowned upon. It would be easy to challenge anyway - just ask the DVLA if they received a request for your details, certainly if it was for an offence outside the prescribed list.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They have no problem sending fines as they have full access to DVLA as can be assured by many on here,,my self included.??

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The exchange of information scheme only provides for a fairly limited range of serious offences.

I'm sure France has a data protection act like the UK and any misuse would be frowned upon. It would be easy to challenge anyway - just ask the DVLA if they received a request for your details, certainly if it was for an offence outside the prescribed list.
Well they obviously do divulge details or how else are members of this Forum receiving speeding fines.BUSBY

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Interestingly a French registered mh towing an A frame near Bordeaux this morning

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Well they obviously do divulge details or how else are members of this Forum receiving speeding fines.BUSBY

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. I know DVLA disclose owner details if an application is made in respect of allegations of a restricted range of driving offences.

What I'm saying is that they would not legitimately be able to use the Crit'Air database to obtain owner details in respect of any offence, other perhaps than a breach of the Crit'Air regs.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
These crit air toll thingies are for tourists.... the French don’t bother and nor do I.... been driving around France Germany Austria Belgium Croatia Luxembourg Italy Spain etc for years and not a problem yet....

1569848085750.png

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. I know DVLA disclose owner details if an application is made in respect of allegations of a restricted range of driving offences.

What I'm saying is that they would not legitimately be able to use the Crit'Air database to obtain owner details in respect of any offence, other perhaps than a breach of the Crit'Air regs.
With you now?BUSBY

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back