Wild camp virginity - where did you lose yours? (1 Viewer)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I’ve always trusted pucker campsites and feared the unknown of the FLT motorhoming lifestyle. I broke my duck and picked a memorable spot:

Next to Duncansby Head Lighthouse. Most north east spot on the UK mainland (John O’Groats and turn left). What a view towards the Orkneys.

So where did you lose yours?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We also stayed on the car park in llgollen the next year and listened to the clay ,listen, fight on the radio in the van, remember it as if it was yesterday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Lol. By the Ponderosa.

Ours was in a old army tent on the banks of Loch Ness a lifetime ago.
These were good old days, never got to go on gap years to tibet or whatever they get up to now, but them old a35 and Morris 1000 vans got us all round them Welsh mountains with a mattress in the back , bloody el got me going now.
Oh to be back there now.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
A layby outside Amiens - we didnt mean to though - we couldnt find the France Passion site we had chosen so went for the Aire in town but on a Saturday night it was full of cars so we headed back to the layby I had spotted on the way in.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The first time we went off grid was not exactly edgy, as it was at the Peterborough show..

But the first time we went out of Womans comfort zone was on a truck stop somewhere in France..Woman had always previously insisted on camp sites.
But that broke the dam, and since then we have stopped in all sorts of locations, including factory estates, forest tracks in the middle of nowhere, the top of hydro dam, and even on a few occasions a proper aire

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Some will remember the Austin 1100 and two man tent. Our first wild camping.
First camping.jpg

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Somewhere in France. After one lesson on driving a motorhome from the very kind husband of an acquaintance I set out to drive from the Midi Pyrenees to England. I’d no idea how to find or use an Aire or a campsite. I literally gritted my teeth and set off, fairly terrified. I’d never actually driven any vehicle onto a ferry before so I was trying not to think about that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think it was many years ago in a hillside layby, the view I recall was great but unfortunately it wasn't long before a car pulled up and we heard the doors being opened and closed, followed by other doors being opened and closed ... about 10 minutes later the same happened again (different vehicle I think!) ... this was repeated a few times ... we'd obviously parked at the local lovebirds 'canoodling' spot! :love:

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
1992. Middle of nowhere in wales down some byway near Strata Florida. Series 1 Landy and a bivvy bag. Those were the days! :h:

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Just outside kinlockleven, about the first spot on the left outside town. Very nervous and knackered from the nonstop drive from kent (yes non stop). One of the bravest things I have ever done that first night. Hearing weird noise outside I grabbed a filleting knife and a fishing priest turned out the lights and slipped out the door to confront what I thought was a wierdo mad jock or whatever. Crept to the back of the van pooping myself in the pitch black, waited for my eyes to adjust and heard the ripping of grass and grinding of teeth, bloody sheep. Felt a right wally, poured a large one and spent the next couple of hours listening to rain on the van roof. went to sleep watching the waterfalls on the mountains all aound me start to glint in the moonlight, Incredible sight. That was a beautiful night to be out there on my own, if you saw it on a film you wouldn't have beleived it, it was amazing weather. Still my best memory in a motorhome, about 1980 I think.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
On top of Beachy Head, many, many years ago.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
1994, on a Shell petrol station forecourt in Coventry, in our Sprite Musketeer, didn't unhitch as we had to be off "before the day shift manager gets here". :whistle2: :D2

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
In the middle of nowhere 1975, South West Africa (now Namibia). VW type 2 with basic facilities like a DIY bed.

We arrived just before nightfall and lit a campfire, mainly to deter the wildlife like leopards. Woke early just as the sun was rising. The scene could only be described as a lunar landscape with not a sound to be heard. An unforgettable experience :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back