Big Upgrade of Forum Software this evening. Disruption Expected (4 Viewers)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The sad face would have some uses, but I've tried it before and for every time it's used in the proper context there will 50 times it's used to offend someone's opinion or post etc.

If something moves you to be sad, post and tell them, far better (y)

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
I hadn't expected to like the changes but I think I will come to do so quite quickly.

One thing I think I am missing is the indication of other members' reactions to a thread on Recent/What's New. You used to be able to see whether a thread had received 'smilies' (probably funny so worth opening) or 'hearts' (probably a picture of a cute puppy so not quite so enticing, at least to me).

Others have also pointed this out but I'm certainly not a fan of the top of the page (Safari/Firefox on a Mac and Safari on an iPad), with the logo above everything else. Maybe a longer banner version of the logo would help but that might mess it up on small screens I suppose.

There's an unused bit in the footer (Block #1) on a Mac but I expect you know that. It doesn't appear on the iPad.

I do like the fact that the whole thing looks and feels almost exactly the same on an iPad as it does on the Mac. I hate software which treats an iPad as a 'mobile'.

I don't think it is as responsive as the old forum. Hovering over something and waiting for a summary to appear or right clicking a thread to open in a new tab are both sometimes slower (oldish Mac), though it doesn't seem consistent. Mind you, even our Mac is running off a mobile signal at the moment (glad I have a 100GB Vodafone SIM), as a truck knocked a telegraph pole over a couple of days ago between us and the village.

Tony

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Others have also pointed this out but I'm certainly not a fan of the top of the page (Safari/Firefox on a Mac and Safari on an iPad), with the logo above everything else. Maybe a longer banner version of the logo would help but that might mess it up on small screens I suppose.
The space to the right of the logo is where some of the advertising goes but if you're using an adblocker you'll just see the background so it looks a bit 'sparse', however the logo does look a bit lonely and small ... it needs fattening up! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
  • Liking the new rounded corners avatars
  • I don't have a lightning bolt so don't know what I'm missing
  • I too would like the return of the "hover feature" over alerts/messages
  • I agree with Minxy Girl about the "likes" and it's a shame that you've decided against the 'sad' one but accept your reasoning
  • And also more contrast please with links

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is there a way to get back to the MHFun home page (not forum) from the forum pages? I can't find it if it exists?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On my android phone it's nigh on perfect, things folks are posting about just aren't a problem on the phone, much better than the old one but on the Chromebook all the problems are there and as I didn't use it much anyway don't think I will bother with it at all now.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
The space to the right of the logo is where some of the advertising goes but if you're using an adblocker you'll just see the background so it looks a bit 'sparse', however the logo does look a bit lonely and small ... it needs fattening up! :D

I turned adblocker off just to see how it looked. The ads down the right hand side appeared but the logo was still up there on it's own with nothing next to it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Can we have a 'discussion' about the 'like' symbols ... some I am okay with, others ...

View attachment 308822

• Thumbs up = Like ... I like this one.
  • Cup = Thanks ... to me it's more 'winner' so don't really like it
  • Face with heart eyes = Love it ... I like this one.
  • Lopsided face = Funny ... don't like this one, I can't say why except aesthetically it just looks wrong, if it wasn't lopsided it would be better
  • Big eyes & open mouth = Wow ... I like this
  • Little boy with i = Informative ... reminds me of my Mum holding a rolling pin!
We did have a 'sad' face at one point which was useful to convey our feelings without having to post, can we have this one back again?

We just need a ? ? oddly enough all those on Apple will now show on this new version.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Mine looks like this all the time, no ads and can get access to the lightning thingy all the time without going back to the top
Screenshot_20190608-110351.png

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t like change.........can’t escape it!
Don’t like computers.......can’t do without them!
Oh look,there’s old Triceratops over there........
I’m doomed, I tell thee,Im doomed!????

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've actually toned it down a bit this morning the grey now bleeds in separating the elements leaving only the text boxes white, but cheers I'm still playing

It's a lot better for me Jim, thank you :)(y)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Mine looks like this all the time, no ads and can get access to the lightning thingy all the time without going back to the topView attachment 308842

That's on a phone, and it also looks like that on my phone. On my laptop however, there is nothing to the right of the logo and it just looks a bit odd sat on it's own.

It doesn't bother me that much, just looks a bit odd when the page first opens but soon forgotten about as you scroll down the screen.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Can we have a 'discussion' about the 'like' symbols ... some I am okay with, others ...

View attachment 308822

• Thumbs up = Like ... I like this one.
  • Cup = Thanks ... to me it's more 'winner' so don't really like it
  • Face with heart eyes = Love it ... I like this one.
  • Lopsided face = Funny ... don't like this one, I can't say why except aesthetically it just looks wrong, if it wasn't lopsided it would be better
  • Big eyes & open mouth = Wow ... I like this
  • Little boy with i = Informative ... reminds me of my Mum holding a rolling pin!
We did have a 'sad' face at one point which was useful to convey our feelings without having to post, can we have this one back again?
I'm on a Samsung Galaxy A 17 and I can use any of the emojis on the phone.
?
E.g. ??? ????????‍♀️??etc,etc.
?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Jim we seem to be having an issue with multiple posting again. click post once and it's a lottery how many times the system posts

This also happens with thread creation too, 2 copies of next tuesday 11th june lottery thread

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I think, but might be mistaken, that John Jaws is referring to getting back to the thread list easily.
Using new or the logo takes you back to the start when what you want, what you really want, is to go back to the thread list where you left off.
At the moment you have to use the back button multiple times got do so.

Jim

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'm on a Samsung Galaxy A 17 and I can use any of the emojis on the phone.
?
E.g. ??? ????????‍♀️??etc,etc.
?

Don’t think you can’t use those as a like etc for a post though.
Well it didn’t work for me when I tried.
But works in a reply ?

Edit just noticed it looks like you can’t “like your own posts.
Was it like that before.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's on a phone, and it also looks like that on my phone. On my laptop however, there is nothing to the right of the logo and it just looks a bit odd sat on it's own.
Yes same here.used to be the Travelworld ,etc; ad to the right hand side.
I just assumed it will reappear when Jim has finally finished?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think, but might be mistaken, that John Jaws is referring to getting back to the thread list easily.
Using new or the logo takes you back to the start when what you want, what you really want, is to go back to the thread list where you left off.
At the moment you have to use the back button multiple times got do so.

Jim
OK I've put a small breadcrumb at the top and the bottom of the thread, that should sort you out (y) . NEXT:cooler:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is there a way to get back to the MHFun home page (not forum) from the forum pages? I can't find it if it exists?

That's having a big redesign. You can still get there by going to www.motorhomefun.co.uk , but it won't be there long. All those articles are going to be bought inside the forum structure so they can be more interactive. Also all of MotorhomeFun magazine articles will go there (a month or two after they have been published) so we can discuss those too. (y)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I’m going to probably embarrass myself, so nothing new.
I don’t want to disturb the all seeing eye, so could someone tell me what a breadcrumb is, as per Jim at post #382, and where to find it.
And also for identification purposes what it looks like!:D2

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I’m going to probably embarrass myself, so nothing new.
I don’t want to disturb the all seeing eye, so could someone tell me what a breadcrumb is, as per Jim at post #382, and where to find it.
And also for identification purposes what it looks like!:D2

It gets its name from leaving a trail of breadcrumbs so you can find your way back. It shows the path you've taken and clicks on any part of that path to return to there.

breadcrumb.png

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
You’ll normally find them a n the bottom of the bag the bread comes in ?

Ohh they look like little bobbles, colour depends on if it’s white or wholemeal bread ?

I was expecting a sensible answer, and then I saw your avatar, so knew that was out the question::bigsmile:

Jan 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
VW Trident
Exp
Since April 2015
Hi Jim I can't locate the calendar showing when rallies take place. Has it been removed?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

It doesn't bother me that much, just looks a bit odd when the page first opens but soon forgotten about as you scroll down the screen.
I think Jim's been playing with it as even though I have adblocker on all the time I got a 'static' advert for SMC a couple or so days ago which looked to be permanently embedded, rather than the usual ads that run down the right side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back