Does anyone go to Spain for six months at a time (4 Viewers)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
How so, if we are regularly returning to the UK during the six-month period?

We spent circa 90 days in Spain and the same in the UK during the period. And then no return to Spain until next winter.

The van is in Spain for 180 days in the 12-month period, and we are there for no more than 90 days. What is wrong with that?

Should be OK post Brexit too, whatever the outcome. :)
Remember to keep your flight tickets for when you drive back to the U.K. so they don’t think you have been there longer . Only pointing it out because we used to when we came to the U.K. more often to see the grandchildren when they were small . That was for a different reason as we were checked for not registering van in the U.K. as if you are there over the allotted time you must register in the country . As we had our ferry tickets we could prove we had not been in the country more ! So they do check .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Remember to keep your flight tickets for when you drive back to the U.K. so they don’t think you have been there longer . Only pointing it out because we used to when we came to the U.K. more often to see the grandchildren when they were small . That was for a different reason as we were checked for not registering van in the U.K. as if you are there over the allotted time you must register in the country . As we had our ferry tickets we could prove we had not been in the country more ! So they do check .
As I said above I didn't last year and no one said anything when I left Europe or when I returned 3 months later.
Sure I may get a surprise returning this time but I think if they did there would be hundreds

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
As I said above I didn't last year and no one said anything when I left Europe or when I returned 3 months later.
Sure I may get a surprise returning this time but I think if they did there would be hundreds
You won’t as still no Brexit but after Brexit it will be a different story . Unless you are in France and you tell them you are Scottish Cos they love us lol

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The rule already exists and is applied to people from countries like the US, Australia etc. This link (below) covers what happens if you overstay and it is very clear you will be picked up. What happens to you depends very much on what you have been doing. If you have overstayed because you have been working then being locked up is a distinct possibility. It is possible to apply for a visa extension (there's a link on the page) but it isn't straightforward and is best done it says from the country where you intend to stay. But it would be the only way to stay longer than 90 days. I guess you would need an address or addresses where you are staying and show proof of income and medical cover etc.

Will the 90 days rule apply to UK tourists? As the Government is making a big thing about ending of Freedom of Movement of EU citizens then I think it will. I guess we won't know until some Funster gets picked up leaving from Calais or boarding the Chunnel. :)

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/consequences-of-overstaying-in-schengen-area/

And remember the 90 days is accumulated and the clock is not reset until you stay out of the area for a full 90 days. So if you spent 60 days there in say May and June then came back to the UK for July and August and then returned in September you would have to come back after 30 days because being away for just July and August isn't long enough. You would have had to stay out until the end of October then you could return for another 90 days.

That Schengen Zone staying rule is perhaps one of the biggest reason politicians and the Brussels unelected officials should all be relieved of their positions, I always thought this was a free world!!!!

Why on earth if you could afford to go on holiday for more than 90 days should you be limited, what purpose does such a rule achieve other than control.

It's high time the people told these control freaks enough is enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No problem - electronic records on the phone and laptop, as well as printed boarding passes.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
UK citizens will not need to apply for a Broken Link Removed like many other nationalities. On February 1, 2019, the European Council said: “EU ambassadors today agreed that, following Brexit, UK citizens coming to the Schengen area for a short stay (90 days in any 180 days) should be granted visa-free travel.”

Even though there are many things that are still uncertain for Britain, one thing British citizens won't have to worry about is applying for a visa to visit EU member countries. On April 4th, the European Parliament passed a law in Brussels by 502 votes to 81. The law establishes that Britons can travel to Europe visa-free. Euro-MPs ruled that anyone with British citizenship traveling to mainland Europe for stays under 90 days is not expected to get a visa.

However, implementation of the law is conditioned. Members of parliament also said this is conditional upon the UK granting EU nationals the same benefits. This means British travelers will only be visa-exempt as long as EU citizens can enter the UK without a visa.

British travelers will still need to apply for ETIAS. Broken Link Removed (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) is the name given to the new Broken Link Removed which will be a requirement for British citizens and 60 other nationalities who can currently visit Europe visa-free.

While the UK is still a member of the EU, UK citizens traveling to Europe only need their passport to enter the other member countries. However, this will change after Brexit and, from 2021, ETIAS for British citizensBroken Link Removed.

Broken Link Removed

What happens if I overstay my Schengen Visa?

If you are being tempted to do such thing, you should just know the following things:

First thing that you should know, is that an overstayed visa never goes unnoticed. The immigration authorities have registered in their databases every person that enters and leaves the Schengen, and every overstaying, even just for a day, is recorded.

Secondly, intentional or unintentional, no overstaying is left unpunished. It could be a fine, immediate deportation or even getting banned from entering the Schengen Zone for a specific amount of time.

Finally, yet importantly, it does not matter if you have entered Schengen territory on a Schengen Visa, or if you are the national of a country, to which a visa waiver has been applied. You are not allowed to overstay the 90 days amount of permitted stay per 180 days, even if you belong to one of the latter. It does not also matter if you are overstaying a Schengen tourist visa or you are overstaying a student visa. There is a visa overstaying penalty for each, and if you do such thing, you will get yours.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/consequences-of-overstaying-in-schengen-area/

Pete

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
That Schengen Zone staying rule is perhaps one of the biggest reason politicians and the Brussels unelected officials should all be relieved of their positions, I always thought this was a free world!!!!

Why on earth if you could afford to go on holiday for more than 90 days should you be limited, what purpose does such a rule achieve other than control.

Not sure why you think as U.K. citizens we are different from other nationals . My daughter has lived in Australia for 20 years and to visit I need a visa even though the Queen us their head of state

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I still hope for a 2nd referendum to put a halt to all this nonsense.

ETIAS and Brexit are coincidental: ETIAS is not a consequence of Brexit. ETIAS is being introduced to improve the security of the region and the safety of its citizens. European Parliament representatives expressed the need for this system. “By knowing who is coming to the EU before they even arrive at the border, we will be better able to stop those who may pose a threat to our citizens.”

Broken Link Removed

Pete

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You won’t as still no Brexit but after Brexit it will be a different story . Unless you are in France and you tell them you are Scottish Cos they love us lol
Aye after the brexit farce I can see there being a lot of problems

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not sure why you think as U.K. citizens we are different from other nationals . My daughter has lived in Australia for 20 years and to visit I need a visa even though the Queen us their head of state
It's still rubbish though ...I don't think it should restrict people wherever they go.

Different if you were going there and living of the state.
But if financially supporting yourself I agree it is all about control

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
ETIAS and Brexit are coincidental: ETIAS is not a consequence of Brexit. ETIAS is being introduced to improve the security of the region and the safety of its citizens. European Parliament representatives expressed the need for this system. “By knowing who is coming to the EU before they even arrive at the border, we will be better able to stop those who may pose a threat to our citizens.”

Broken Link Removed

Pete
Hmmmm it's more and more why I think a lot of these acts of terrorism were created

As a world wide organised way of spying on and further controlling citizens.

Yeah it sounds like a conspiracy theory but the older and more sceptical I get the more it makes sense.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp

I don't think that at all, why would you say that, I think that rules to limit anyone who wants to and can afford to should be able to roam this planet unhindered.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Yet people in the UK who voted to end free movement have ensured there is even more control on what you can and can’t do!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I don't think that at all, why would you say that, I think that rules to limit anyone who wants to and can afford to should be able to roam this planet unhindered.
Surely that is what the U.K. voted for ? To stop free movement ?

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Does anyone know whether vehicle periods of stay will also have to be proved to comply in the same manner as people have to or is it just people who will need to prove their length of stays?
EG: can I store my MH within the Schengen area whilst I wait to re-qualify for another 90 days?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Does anyone know whether vehicle periods of stay will also have to be proved to comply in the same manner as people have to or is it just people who will need to prove their length of stays?
EG: can I store my MH within the Schengen area whilst I wait to re-qualify for another 90 days?

I would say no.

You would have to register it in the country you are storing it and you can only register it if you have an address in that country

Then there’s the question of insurance.....

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

Somehow I don't imagine that you are advocating giving your financial details to some foreign official (to prove you can afford to exist in their country) along with a recent medical report (to prove that you are physically OK) before being allowed across the border :rolleyes: !

And, given that finances and health can change over time, I don't imagine that you are advocating repeating the process every couple of months from within their system :whistle:.

What would be the outcome if you failed their tests? Immediate deportation at your expense? Impoundment of your vehicle? (n)

What if you failed to submit your details in sufficient time or with information missing? Being placed on the local police "most wanted" list? Imprisonment? :cry:

How much money should someone have before being allowed in to a foreign country? Can I suggest liquid assets of at least £10k? ;)

How popular do you think these ideas may be compared to a maximum limit of 90days? :LOL:

Gordon

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Somehow I don't imagine that you are advocating giving your financial details to some foreign official (to prove you can afford to exist in their country) along with a recent medical report (to prove that you are physically OK) before being allowed across the border :rolleyes: !

And, given that finances and health can change over time, I don't imagine that you are advocating repeating the process every couple of months from within their system :whistle:.

What would be the outcome if you failed their tests? Immediate deportation at your expense? Impoundment of your vehicle? (n)

What if you failed to submit your details in sufficient time or with information missing? Being placed on the local police "most wanted" list? Imprisonment? :cry:

How much money should someone have before being allowed in to a foreign country? Can I suggest liquid assets of at least £10k? ;)

How popular do you think these ideas may be compared to a maximum limit of 90days? :LOL:

Gordon

Reading your post makes me feel you could be one of those persons in Brussels, Rules rules rules and of course I am not advocating we shouldn't have rules but it seems to me you have already had a meeting and come up with a system that others should live by.

How about you have enough money in your bank account and you are a healthy human being, if you fall ill you have the enough money in your bank account to insure that you won't be a burden on their health system and they can pack you off back to your own country and they can get on with wasting their tax payers money on whatever schemes they can dream up.

Of course staying for over 90 days would not be popular with the control freaks.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Gordon
According to EU-wide guidance for pensioners and students (in lieu of proof of employment):

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:

• Employees / Postings abroad
    • Certificate of employment or confirmation of recruitment from your employer
  • Self-employed
    • Proof of your status as self-employed
  • Pensioners
    • Proof of comprehensive health insurance
    • Proof you can support yourself without needing income support: resources may come from any source
  • Students
    • Proof of enrolment at an approved educational establishment
    • Proof of comprehensive health insurance
    • Declaration that you have sufficient resources to support yourself without needing income support: resources may come from any source
You do not need to provide any other documents.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...ormalities/registering-residence/index_en.htm

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Soooo true . But if course we are the savages in the north.
Aye

Gordon
Way to go on over thinking that.

You don't have to do any of that for 90 days

Shouldn't need to do it for longer either

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Surely that is what the U.K. voted for ? To stop free movement ?

Certainly some of the U.K. might have had that in mind but I would suggest that it was more to limit the numbers of people coming from outside of the EU countries rather than limit movement inside the EU.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
According to EU-wide guidance for pensioners and students (in lieu of proof of employment):

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

Having lived and worked in Spain, I'm reasonably au fait with the "rules". (y)

However, IMO that's not what @robnchris want (but I'm happy to be corrected).

.... anyone who wants to and can afford to should be able to roam this planet unhindered.

However, IMO again, rules would be a bit of a no-no, as people should be trusted to

.....have enough money in your bank account and you are a healthy human being, if you fall ill you have the enough money in your bank account to insure that you won't be a burden on their health system and they can pack you off back to your own country

but without addressing quite how you are going to be sent back to your own country if you don't have the money.

So simply allow anyone to go anywhere they want for as long as they want to without any accountability: sounds like anarchy to me! :whistle:

Perhaps the best solution would be a world government?
Or, on a smaller scale, how about a European Government?
We might have a European Union, allowing each country to retain individual characteristics whilst co-operating on many aspects, but I'm fairly sure from a thread in the belly locker that @robnchris is not a supporter. :LOL:

Gordon

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate
But this applies to EU citizens when UK leaves we won’t belong so can’t use that system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back