Does anyone go to Spain for six months at a time (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I remember reading that at the time you posted about it.
I think I would have lost a lot of cash if I'd sold mine and the logistics would have been a nightmare as I never travel without the dogs, so would have been stranded in UK without wheels.
Re -registering was a simpler and easier option for me.
I couldn't import mine as it was a PVC.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yes, but if you stayed 90+ days accumulatively in 180 days in another Schengen country then you would be legally obliged to register there, like any other resident of a Schengen country.

Geoff
Blimey. If you spent 91 days in France, then 91 days in Germany, then 91 days in Spain, then 91 days in Austria, you'd be legally obliged to register in them all :)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Covered where by the nhs?
At home?

I don't see how that is , both my doctor and dentist were aware I was travelling for a year , I had appointments with both on my return with no issues.

And never as yet ( touch wood ) had to use either abroad

You’re not covered by the NHS if you’re out of the U.K. for more than three months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You’re not covered by the NHS if you’re out of the U.K. for more than three months.
Strange then as I was out for over 9 months I even made my appointments for dentist and hospital while I was still in Spain.
I had also informed dentist and doctor I was going for 12 months before I left.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Strange then as I was out for over 9 months I even made my appointments for dentist and hospital while I was still in Spain.

Yes we've all be lucky over the years that the rules haven't been implemented. Whether by the UK or other countries who haven't stopped visitors from other EU countries from overstaying the time allowed.

Things might well change yet!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
NHS patients travelling for 3 months or less

Under NHS legislation, the NHS ceases to have responsibility for people when they leave the UK. However, to ensure good patient care the following guidance for prescribing is offered:

- Medication required for a pre-existing condition should be provided in sufficient quantity to cover the journey and allow the patient to obtain medical attention abroad.1 If the patient is returning within the timescale of a normal prescription (usually 1 and no more than 3 months) then this could be issued, providing it is clinically appropriate.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
My understanding is that as a Spanish resident one is not allowed to drive a vehicle taxed, registered and insured in a foreign country.
I hope I am right in this belief as I am at this moment getting my Moho transferred to Spanish registration plates.

Me too, in France. Had the MOT (Controle Technique) this morning, all good, and the gas installation inspection this afternoon which was an eye-watering €444:eek: Only thing I have to change is the flexible pipe from bottle to regulator as it has the UK production year stamped on it, rather than the year it must be changed by, which is how the French do it. A trip to the local brico should sort that out. Just need to visit a weighbridge and then it's the small matter of the single vehicle inspection to arrange.....

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Blimey. If you spent 91 days in France, then 91 days in Germany, then 91 days in Spain, then 91 days in Austria, you'd be legally obliged to register in them all :)

Not quite because only two of those 91 day periods could be in the same 180 elapsed days.

Then the second two would be in the subsequent 180 days.

But you are right that you could be registerd in more than one country at a time. Although I believe that one can, but are not obliged to, register before 90 days, so one could in that case be registered in multiple countries. Would be fun.

I do not know what are the rules about de-registering.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months

Last year I had to return to the UK to have my driving licence reviewed at age 70. I am used to it being done every 3 years due to my having MS.
I had not seen a doctor for 2 years and was a bit anxious that my MS Consultant was not contacted by the DVLA before I had a chance to get "on the books again".
I returned to my former medical practice and was taken on temporarily (for 3 months)
My Doctor was happy to make my prescriptionson out with my address as "The Motorhome " (it is a fairly small village) and when I phoned my MS Consultant's secretary to arrange an appointment, she said "oh yes, you are still here on the waiting list, ill try and hurry it up for you "
Eventually I received my driving license. the slowness was down to the DVLA. The NHS was fine.
Thankfully I am now a Spanish resident, using the Spanish health service (at least until the dreaded B****) with a Spanish driving licence and very soon a Spanish registered MOHO - who could ask for more?:D:D

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Last year I had to return to the UK to have my driving licence reviewed at age 70. I am used to it being done every 3 years due to my having MS.
I had not seen a doctor for 2 years and was a bit anxious that my MS Consultant was not contacted by the DVLA before I had a chance to get "on the books again".
I returned to my former medical practice and was taken on temporarily (for 3 months)
My Doctor was happy to make my prescriptionson out with my address as "The Motorhome " (it is a fairly small village) and when I phoned my MS Consultant's secretary to arrange an appointment, she said "oh yes, you are still here on the waiting list, ill try and hurry it up for you "
Eventually I received my driving license. the slowness was down to the DVLA. The NHS was fine.
Thankfully I am now a Spanish resident, using the Spanish health service (at least until the dreaded B****) with a Spanish driving licence and very soon a Spanish registered MOHO - who could ask for more?:D:D

And still able to access UK health services if you so wish.

One advantage of being "older".

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yes you are. I've pals here who fly home for treatment. The NHS stuff only stops if we get Spanish Residencia.

There is so much false information about and it's spoiling things.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Not quite because only two of those 91 day periods could be in the same 180 elapsed days.

Then the second two would be in the subsequent 180 days.

But you are right that you could be registerd in more than one country at a time. Although I believe that one can, but are not obliged to, register before 90 days, so one could in that case be registered in multiple countries. Would be fun.

Geoff
I was jesting.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Dont they like PVCs? Good job I changed plan A which was to come out in my home conversion Fiat Ducato.
No. A vehicle here must be as it left the factory. 100%

Wrong tyres and other silly stuff fail the ITV (MOT) here.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
NHS patients travelling for 3 months or less

Under NHS legislation, the NHS ceases to have responsibility for people when they leave the UK. However, to ensure good patient care the following guidance for prescribing is offered:

- Medication required for a pre-existing condition should be provided in sufficient quantity to cover the journey and allow the patient to obtain medical attention abroad.1 If the patient is returning within the timescale of a normal prescription (usually 1 and no more than 3 months) then this could be issued, providing it is clinically appropriate.
That is wrong. The EHIC card takes care of you.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Does anyone know, if you have Spanish resident status would you be able to tour within the Schengen area without time limit after we leave the EU?
Shouldn't be a problem as long as not over 90 days consecutively. As a resident unless you were stopped they'd have no idea that you were British.
But you have to de-register first as illegal to be registered in 2 EU states.

Geoff
No you can't.It is illegal to be registered in 2 EU states. You have to de-register in the last one before registering in the next.

Yes you are. I've pals here who fly home for treatment. The NHS stuff only stops if we get Spanish Residencia.

There is so much false information about and it's spoiling things.
Only if they are in receipt of a state pension.Otherwise it is illegal.
That is wrong. The EHIC card takes care of you.

No it doesn't once you are out of the UK over 90 day you have no healthcare & no entitlement to use the ehic.

Are you spending more than three months living outside the UK?
  • <Broken link removed>
  • <Broken link removed>
  • <Broken link removed>
Extended holidays
If you are going abroad for a one-off extended holiday for a few months, then you will continue to be fully exempt from charges for NHS hospital treatment when you return to resume your permanent residence in the UK. The same will apply to your spouse, civil partner and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are living with you in the UK on a permanent basis.

Once you are living here permanently you will become ordinarily resident and the Regulations will cease to apply to you. Your spouse, civil partner and child will also be considered ordinarily resident if they are living permanently in the UK with you. If they are not living permanently in the UK then the Regulations will apply and in order to be entitled to free hospital treatment they will have to meet one of the categories of exemption in their own right.

In common with those ordinarily resident in the UK, anyone who is exempt from charges for hospital treatment will have to pay statutory NHS charges, e.g., prescription charges, unless they also qualify for exemption from these, and will have to go on to waiting lists for treatment where appropriate.

Living as an “insured” resident of a European Economic Area (EEA) country?
If you go to live permanently (or for more than 3 months each year) in another EEA member state and become an “insured” resident of that member state (i.e., become insured for the purposes of state healthcare in that country) then, under European Community Social Security Regulations, you will be entitled to “all necessary treatment” free of charge when you are visiting the UK. This means treatment the need for which arises whilst in the UK, including pre-existing conditions which acutely exacerbate unexpectedly, or, in the opinion of a clinician, would be likely to acutely exacerbate without treatment. It also covers the treatment of chronic conditions, including routine monitoring. It does not cover elective treatment such as pre-planned operations without special arrangement.

In order to show to an NHS trust that you are an insured resident of another member state you will need to produce a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by that member state, or a Provisional Replacement Certificate. Failure to produce this may mean that you are charged for your treatment and you will have to apply to your member state of residence to be reimbursed.

If you are living in one of these member states but are not insured there, and have previously had ten or more continuous years’ lawful residence in the UK at any point, then you will be exempt from charges for treatment the need for which arises during a visit to the UK. Unlike for insured residents, this does not cover routine treatment for chronic conditions. Similar to those insured, it also does not include pre-planned elective treatment.

The part that says " or for more than 3 months " means that you automatically become a resident in that country without even applying. They are the rules .It is all in the EU legislation. Once that happens you are then not entitled to use the UK ehic. If leaving the UK for more than 90 days you are meant to de-register. same here.Then re-register when you return

Unfortunately they didn't write the legislation taking in to account the fact that pèople would spend long periods out of there home country.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
And still able to access UK health services if you so wish.

One advantage of being "older".
And another I get an oldies discount on the DFDS ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe
Maybe this growing older business isn't all bad . :D

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The NHS has absolutely no idea where you are in the world unless you tell them so don't ! Technically all that matters is where you are "ordinarily resident" so if you have a UK address that is why no-one ever notices if you spend most of the year abroad and just pop in and out for appointments. The small print does say that you should be in the UK for 6 months out of each 12 months but it's not like car or house insurance where you have to make a declaration that this is true. If you are a British Citizen with a UK address it's not worth the faff. Maybe a bit different if you don't have a UK address. I can assure you that you do not suddenly get deregistered, this is absolute nonsense.

Legally your GP can give you an NHS prescription for 3 months worth of medication and then should give you a private presciption for any more than that but even that is a grey area and some will give more. There are a few exclusions.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The NHS has absolutely no idea where you are in the world unless you tell them so don't ! Technically all that matters is where you are "ordinarily resident" so if you have a UK address that is why no-one ever notices if you spend most of the year abroad and just pop in and out for appointments. The small print does say that you should be in the UK for 6 months out of each 12 months but it's not like car or house insurance where you have to make a declaration that this is true. If you are a British Citizen with a UK address it's not worth the faff. Maybe a bit different if you don't have a UK address. I can assure you that you do not suddenly get deregistered, this is absolute nonsense.

Legally your GP can give you an NHS prescription for 3 months worth of medication and then should give you a private presciption for any more than that but even that is a grey area and some will give more. There are a few exclusions.
Ed Zackerly. You've all paid your taxes, so entitled to NHS treatment, morally.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I dunno about anyone else buy my bloody dentist you can't get an appointment for about 3 or 4 months anyway lol

And the doctors isn't much better.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
“Loads of my friends” sounds like excellent evidence! The actual facts and what you can get away with aren’t the same thing.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
“Loads of my friends” sounds like excellent evidence! The actual facts and what you can get away with aren’t the same thing.
We have spent 6 months in Spain every year for the last 10 years and I can definitely tell you that using your EHIC during this period of time is quite normal. We have used it and I know quite a few who have used it even for urgent heart surgery.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have spent 6 months in Spain every year for the last 10 years and I can definitely tell you that using your EHIC during this period of time is quite normal. We have used it and I know quite a few who have used it even for urgent heart surgery.

Again, they're got away with it and been lucky to do so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back