LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The craft room is now painted and the furniture I no longer want to keep has been submitted to Freecycle in the hope someone can make use of it - and they will collect it from here :)

I have seen the sewing table(s) I want in Ikea, (SKARSTA desks if anyone is interested). We are now having a bit of a "discussion" about setting the machine in / on the desk so I have the big flatbed I need for quilting although I also need the free arm for when I make garments and attach the embroidery module. Martin wants to attach a shelf or cage under the desk top and cut the desk. I am going :unsure::unsure::eek::eek: and thinking it would be much much better to have an arrangement where the sewing machine sits on the desk in a flat topped gently sloping pyramid (no side at the front) which will lift on and off as required. Anyone familiar with the Elna Lotus machines where the machine case folded out to make a worktable will understand what I mean :)

I have a list of jobs as long as my arm including working out how to arrange the room. I found that the Ikea Kallax units with a shelf divider are exactly the right size to take the drawers from my existing cabinets, the cases of the cabinets have gone brittle with age (they are the plastic chest of drawers things), I was really chuffed with that. Yes, I was the woman carrying a plastic drawer around Ikea. The drawer I had has a label "black" but I am wondering if I should have labeled it "fabric of colour" after recent discussions :) The lady on the customer services desk (I let her know it was my own drawer) was a "person of colour" and we had a bit of a laugh about it. I said that scientifically black was the absence of colour but maybe that would be even more of an insult!!!! She thought the whole discussion about skin tone and how to describe it ridiculous.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
This is a picture of one of the jellyfish I made last year for OFAPUK with it's new owner

jellyfish.jpg

It's the second time I've had a picture of them in use
Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling:h: and makes the split fingers worth while

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm not sure if anyone has used these people for supplies?

https://hobbii.co.uk/

I get email from them but haven't places an order yet, although very tempted as their prices are good and they have some unusual things.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've got my crochet bag out ...

It's a start ...

The throw I was making last year is three quarters finished but that last quarter is taking longer than all the rest.

I will do some, I will do some I WILL do some ... :LOL:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well after a lot of being picked up and put down my Glastonbury waistcoat is finally finished though it may get tweaked, it's entirely out of my mad head I did not want rules just fun doing it, so now I'll have to get myself to Glastonbury to wear it.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
View attachment 290624 View attachment 290625
Well after a lot of being picked up and put down my Glastonbury waistcoat is finally finished though it may get tweaked, it's entirely out of my mad head I did not want rules just fun doing it, so now I'll have to get myself to Glastonbury to wear it.

Love the colours, Carol.

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
This is my project at the moment a sleep sack for new grandchild due May
View attachment 290213
Using this wool
View attachment 290214
It’s a nightmare to crochet but looks good and feels lovely and soft.
I was intending to do @scousebird ‘s pattern but it wasn’t suitable with this yarn so I shall be buying some more to do that one:whistle:
That looks lovely and snuggly, is there an adult size??
Haha three quarters was a tad optimistic on my part. Even for the van bed.
Oh well just have to crack on :LOL:
View attachment 290620
Are you sure you're not making that for @Anthea M ?!
We’ve been away five months and can’t move in our moho for blankets, cardigans and “must have” yarn :rolleyes:
I vacuum pack the yarn for octopals to take away with me so I can fit more in! I also take a couple of cross stitches for when my hands need a rest.

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's

Wow - that is beautiful, love the colours. Don't know why you need to wait until Glastonbury, if I had made that I would be wanting to wear it all the time.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010

Wow Carol - I will see you there. In that you will be unmissable❤️ Lovely!

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
The bamboo needles have done the trick, much easier to use with the bamboo yarn than metal.

Up until last September I always bought all my yarn from a local shop just down the road to help keep it open, sadly the people retired and it is now closed. So when I wanted my bamboo yarn I checked in the next town with no luck so decided to venture online.

Some info I found in case there are any newbie online yarn shoppers like me.

I had never bought yarn online before was suprised at the difference in price, some nearly twice the price for the same yarn, don't know about normal yarn as I was only looking for bamboo, there probably more stores which did not have bamboo.

You have to be really careful if you are just buying a few needles or hooks as the postage costs can wipe out any savings. Sometimes Amazon or Ebay can be cheaper for small items.

Most of them offer free downloadable patterns.

Here are some of the places I looked at and their postage costs in no particular order:

https://www.theknittingnetwork.co.uk/
P & P £2.89 - free delivery over £20
10% off first order + free pattern

https://www.loveknitting.com/
P & P £2.95 - free delivery over £25
15% off first order

https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/

https://www.laughinghens.com/
P & P £3.00 - no free delivery
10% off first order

https://www.deramores.com/
P & P £2.95 - free del over £25

https://hobbii.co.uk
P & P £4.90 - free del over £59

https://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/
P & P £2.69 - free del over £30

In the end I bought two lots of yarn from loveknitting so got free postage, order arrived 2 days later, inside packaging yarn was inside an organza drawstring bag.

I also ordered some more from Ebay, King Cole 4ply Bamboo yarn which worked out at £1.82 per 100gm ball, less than half the price of any of the online stores.

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
https://www.loveknitting.com/
15% off first order
https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/
https://www.deramores.com/
P & P £2.95 - free del over £25
https://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/
P & P £2.69 - free del over £30
I’ve used all these. Plus eBay . As you say @BOD46 , it always pays to shop around as prices can vary a lot.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I have used loveknitting and Minerva Crafts www.minervacrafts.com . If you go through Top Cash Back you can get a discount on the Minerva website. If you are no a Top Cash Back member let me know and I will do a referral so we both get more £££s for those essential supplies!

After our last trip I thought I was going to be banned to the garage as I had so much yarn (and a sewing machine and .........)

The follow up appointment for my eye was yesterday. All well except for a minor bleed (not unheard of they said) but I have 4 more weeks of no lifting, no gardening, no sudden movements etc etc. Also I have to use eye drops for the rest of my life as I have dry eyes.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The storage units for the craft room are due to be delivered tomorrow and I have a handyman on call to come and help install it. In the end I did not go for the unit that folds in on itself as I found that the Kallax units from Ikea with the shelf divider left exactly the right spacing for the drawers from my existing plastic units. The drawers in the plastic units are fine but the surrounds have gone brittle. Also Ikea do a desk that winds up and down (a sit/stand desk) and I am getting one of those to use as a cutting table which I'll be able to put at the correct height when I am standing to cut and then lower for when I need a big extension when I'm quilting.

Photos when it's done - I have spent hours sorting out what I need and what is to go where - learning more about the 3D design program I already had. I decided on more smaller units rather than larger units as it means there is more flexibility should we ever move them.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
No lifting and no gardening? Presumably no cleaning etc either.
No problem. More time for crafting!!

Any pressure on the eye to be avoided (no flying either so the broomstick has had to be chained up). I am packing stuff from the attic workroom ready to be moved to the new craft studio - I have a handyman booked to do the heavy lifting :) Not much more I can do now until the units arrive, are assembled and fastened in place. Then it is boxes downstairs ready to be unpacked. I am going to have great fun sorting through all my forgotten treasures and deciding what I am keeping and what will go onto ebay. I have a lot of jewellery making stuff that I will list as lucky bags I think. Anything left can go to The Scrap Store.

Jan 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
VW Trident
Exp
Since April 2015
CF8A8D93-6187-4979-993B-5A6C94AA4749.jpeg
Working on this baby blanket is keeping me out of mischief. I’ve never made anything this adventurous before and am wondering whether I should give it’s first wash before gifting it to my friends granddaughter. Any thoughts?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back