International Driving Permit post-Brexit (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Why do you want a IDP you can drive on your uk licence for one year come back for one day during that period and you can drive for another year Frome date you exit uk.
no problem lots of scare mongering going one in the media and Theas forums Facebook is the worst followed by motor homing forums
This thread belongs in the belly locker along with all the other Brexit threads pretending to be motor home chat continental touring or what ever
Rant over
BILL

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I’ve had several IDP’s over the years when driving in countries that supposedly require them, I really can’t ever recall anyone at a border actually asking to see anything other than my UK driving licence.
With free movement within the E U, because they don’t have hard borders in all likelihood the only time you will be asked to produce your docs will be back at Calais.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I’ve had several IDP’s over the years when driving in countries that supposedly require them, I really can’t ever recall anyone at a border actually asking to see anything other than my UK driving licence.
With free movement within the E U, because they don’t have hard borders in all likelihood the only time you will be asked to produce your docs will be back at Calais.

I'd say that is very unlikely!

Mick

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
The requirement for an IDP if there is no deal is widely publicised both in the UK and here in Gibraltar with both governments also offering the advice officially.
I'd rather follow their advice and hence I'm prepared to risk the £8 that its going to cost me. I can't afford to "hope" that I won't need one.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Had a nice trip into town on the bus Tuesday afternoon to visit the only post office within 50 miles who can issue an IDP (after my experience a couple of weeks ago I'm never driving into Newcastle ever again). A very nice lady was very knowledgeable on what was currently needed and without me having to leave the counter and re-queue, provided me with the 1949 IDP confirming that as I was not traveling to one of three countries, sorry can't remember them but they were quite obscure and inaccessible with a m/h, it was all I needed.

So with the info others have gleaned I'm confident that Brexit, no-deal or even no-Brexit, I'm as covered as I can possibly be. Just the travel insurance to renew now and I'm set.

Happy travels everyone - wherever you go!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Had a nice trip into town on the bus Tuesday afternoon to visit the only post office within 50 miles who can issue an IDP (after my experience a couple of weeks ago I'm never driving into Newcastle ever again). A very nice lady was very knowledgeable on what was currently needed and without me having to leave the counter and re-queue, provided me with the 1949 IDP confirming that as I was not traveling to one of three countries, sorry can't remember them but they were quite obscure and inaccessible with a m/h, it was all I needed.

So with the info others have gleaned I'm confident that Brexit, no-deal or even no-Brexit, I'm as covered as I can possibly be. Just the travel insurance to renew now and I'm set.

Happy travels everyone - wherever you go!

Quite useful information thanks. So would you say that the IDP that you have just been issued with will have a validity of 12 full months from the date of issue and not become invalid after 31st January or 29th March? (Option (b) of my original query?)

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Why do you want a IDP you can drive on your uk licence for one year come back for one day during that period and you can drive for another year Frome date you exit uk.
no problem lots of scare mongering going one in the media and Theas forums Facebook is the worst followed by motor homing forums
This thread belongs in the belly locker along with all the other Brexit threads pretending to be motor home chat continental touring or what ever
Rant over
BILL

My post is most definately not about the merits or otherwise of Brexit. It is purely about obtaining practical advice and guidance for a motorhomer who will find himself within the EU territory when the official date of leaving arrives.
It is exactly what this Forum is about!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I watched a programme on the TV earlier this week about this subject and expert said their are two different one's in use. One covers Spain but Not France and other vice versa. We will be in Spain in April and I am not allowing project fear to change my way of behaviour. I have yest to be asked to show my driving license in the E.U. or the UK for that matter. Bring it on.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
With all due respects, April is after the (current) deadline of 29th March and you will be much clearer of where you stand by the time you ship out compared with my own situation. You must agree that it would be foolish to drive in the EU if it has been decided before you go that it is illegal to not possess an IDP.
(For the record, the Spanish would require the 1949 Convention version and the French the 1968 Convention one.)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's the latest info from France was issued two days ago. From the minister of the interior
Yes but it doesn't state whether it is what is the situation now or after a no deal? Additionally it also states that you can drive on the UK licence for one year without an IDP As long as you havea translation ? Err isn' that what an idp is for ? Who would believe any other sort of translation ?

One covers Spain but Not France and other vice versa.

(For the record, the Spanish would require the 1949 Convention version and the French the 1968 Convention one.)

So as I posted previously why does spain only offer the 1949 idp ? Can't spaniards drive in France if a different one is required?

having gone on line & looked France is party to the 1949 agreement link here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...ns_that_are_parties_to_1949_Geneva_Convention

Germany isn't but honors the '49.
As @TerryL stated earlier he has just got one & it was only 3 obscure places that wanted the '68

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Quite useful information thanks. So would you say that the IDP that you have just been issued with will have a validity of 12 full months from the date of issue and not become invalid after 31st January or 29th March? (Option (b) of my original query?)

It is valid from the date of travel - the lady asked me when I wanted it from - for 12 months and that is stamped on the front. Seems clear enough to me. It has several pages in different languages which simply state the categories of vehicle which I may drive, thankfully including 3500kg+. As regards countries, I quote :-

"This permit is valid in the territory of all the Contracting States with the exception of the territory of the Contracting State where issued, for the period of one year from the date of issue, for the driving of vehicles included in the category or categories mentioned on the last page of this permit." Although there is space for exclusions none have been entered, neither is there any reference to named countries, just "Contracting States".

The last page reads:-

"You are only permitted to drive categories of vehicles which you have full entitlement to drive, as shown on your national licence."

When we were completing the application form she asked me what countries I was intending to visit and strangely France wasn't on the list of tick boxes. However from an earlier post France has it's own legislation allowing UK drivers permission using their UK licence so obviously an IDP is not required for UK drivers. This appears to be a national law rather than EU.

So okay all you cynics, make out of that what you will, I'm covered!:xThumb:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
FWIW

Some years ago we were obliged to provide translations of various documents connected to our starting our business here. Not just any old Google Translate of course but done by one of several nominated, official translators.

I have no idea whether this is still the case or even the case with driving licences or similar, just passing on our experience.

As for the potential cost of an IDP or visa if those are the only costs you suffer under Brexit then haven't you done well?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What is this talk of translating a Driving Licence?

Just look at your photocard licence. It is in an internationally agreed format and except for name and address, which cannot be translated, and 'United kingdom', the rest is numbers, dates and vehicle categories.

Geoff

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
OP probably still has the old paper licence, needs to move on to the photo one now it's the 21st century :xsmile:

Mick

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
What is this talk of translating a Driving Licence?

Just look at your photocard licence. It is in an internationally agreed format and except for name and address, which cannot be translated, and 'United kingdom', the rest is numbers, dates and vehicle categories.

Geoff
Exactly..

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Found this useful bit of info on a French expats site concerning driving licence after Brexit. This is a translation from the French Interior Ministry:

"Does my British driving licence allow me to drive in France? Do I have to exchange it and if so, when?

In the event of a withdrawal agreement coming into force

The withdrawal agreement does not contain any provision on driving licences. However, it provides for a transition period.

During the transition period, European rules continue to apply in France and the United Kingdom: there will be no consequences with regard to driving licences.

After the transition period, three scenarios apply according to whether you will be travelling in France as a tourist or as a resident.

*If you reside in France, specific and reciprocal provisions will later specify the terms of exchange for holders of a British driving licence residing in France.

*If you are a tourist in France, you can drive for the duration of your stay with your British driving licence. An international driving licence is not required if you have a translation of your driving licence.

*If you intend to settle in France after the transition period your British driving licence will be acceptable on French territory for one year, but you must apply for an exchange within this period.

In the absence of a withdrawal agreement

The three scenarios apply from the date of Brexit [now set for March 29, 2019.]

*If you reside in France, specific and reciprocal provisions will later specify the terms of exchange for holders of a British driving licence residing in France.

*If you are a tourist in France, you can drive for the duration of your stay with your British driving licence. An international driving licence is not required if you have a translation of your driving licence.

*If you intend to settle in France, your British driving licence is recognised on French territory for one year, but you must apply for an exchange within this period."

So if you have a standard photo driving licence nothing else will be required as there's nothing to be translated. If you're still using the old paper one then you'll need a translation. Might be a good time to invest in the photo licence.

Mick

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Mick's reply above seems to confirm nothing will change whatever happens about Brexit or when it happens, as the answers are the same as now, with the exception of the translation of a paper licence, but I suspect that is th current law anyway which was writthe eons ago when there were only paper licences.

That is the French position and I suspect the answers will be the same from other countries which are signatories to the two treaties, because within/without EU does not change their duties to recognise licences under the treaties. There may be differences between different countries about exchanging licences for those who take up residence.

I think this thread has made a mountain out of molehill.

Geoff

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Mick's reply above seems to confirm nothing will change whatever happens about Brexit or when it happens, as the answers are the same as now, with the exception of the translation of a paper licence, but I suspect that is th current law anyway which was writthe eons ago when there were only paper licences.

That is the French position and I suspect the answers will be the same from other countries which are signatories to the two treaties, because within/without EU does not change their duties to recognise licences under the treaties. There may be differences between different countries about exchanging licences for those who take up residence.

Geoff

I couldn’t agree more Geoff, my experience with IDP’s is that outside of a UK post office people are not aware of them, even the country’s that supposedly require them.

Still a nice little bonus for the Post Office and government coffers particularly as the cost has recently gone up from £5.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Geoff
Tried to say that many posts back with the same info from the minister of the interior in France. But as usual many try to read between the lines for issues that are not there..

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Mountain or molehill? The UK government is turning one into the other......probably. This is what they said in September - https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...al/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

However, it's interesting to know that France currently has no intention of doing as our government has suggested. I wonder whether any Spanish speakers can find a similar statement on an official Spanish site?

I also wonder what will be needed to hire a vehicle in the EU? I suspect that will be driven more by the rental companies than any official ruling.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I've rented cars and bikes and driven in lots of non EU countries without a problem, so why on earth would i need one in the EU?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've rented cars and bikes and driven in lots of non EU countries without a problem, so why on earth would i need one in the EU?
Probably to punish us for daring to leave,,,There will be a few more following us once we are out,,BUSBY:xangry:

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
Surely there will be a transitional period after 29 th March for people that are caught in limbo to get back to UK?
yes in jail if court,other wise hold both hands up,flat out wards or in wards for the cuffs,best of luck,hal-a lu-ya,pj

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back