International Driving Permit post-Brexit (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It is valid from the date of travel - the lady asked me when I wanted it from - for 12 months and that is stamped on the front. Seems clear enough to me. It has several pages in different languages which simply state the categories of vehicle which I may drive, thankfully including 3500kg+. As regards countries, I quote :-

"This permit is valid in the territory of all the Contracting States with the exception of the territory of the Contracting State where issued, for the period of one year from the date of issue, for the driving of vehicles included in the category or categories mentioned on the last page of this permit." Although there is space for exclusions none have been entered, neither is there any reference to named countries, just "Contracting States".

The last page reads:-

"You are only permitted to drive categories of vehicles which you have full entitlement to drive, as shown on your national licence."

When we were completing the application form she asked me what countries I was intending to visit and strangely France wasn't on the list of tick boxes. However from an earlier post France has it's own legislation allowing UK drivers permission using their UK licence so obviously an IDP is not required for UK drivers. This appears to be a national law rather than EU.

So okay all you cynics, make out of that what you will, I'm covered!:xThumb:
We all manage to get into Morocco without it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We all manage to get into Morocco without it.

Yep, quite right, not needed for Morocco. You are allowed 3 months before you need to "extend" your temporary visa (it gets stamped in your passport on initial entry) so I presume the D/L is covered too.

I got the IDP for Spain "just in case" as they are the country that may just turn out to be awkward. I suspect though that there won't be any problems even with a no-deal exit. I plan to be actually in Spain 29th March.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
OK why should any country I. E. Spain, France or Portugal which relies heavily on tourism from the the UK want to put obstacles in the way which have never ever Bern there be fore.
Because UK tourists are only a few among many although they seem to think that is not the case and as no longer a member of the club you can’t have the benefits without some sort of special agreement

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
I have an IDP valid from 9/01/19 for 12 months. On the two forays we have made into Morocco I have had an IDP, aithough never asked for it. The only reason I have this one is returning to the Gulag after the infernal Brexit date.
Safe travels to us all, and let’s hope 2019 will be kind and peaceful to us all.
Eddie.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Because UK tourists are only a few among many although they seem to think that is not the case and as no longer a member of the club you can’t have the benefits without some sort of special agreement
Never needed one before we were led into the 'common market' so what's the difference now ?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Because with no deal you will be the same as a Botswanian.:xThumb:

Pre EU we used to travel around europe, I don't remember ever being asked for my licence then either.

As france is the point of entry for most of us and its already declared that it won't require one, i can't see how the other countries would check. Spain in particular is very unlikely to do anything to jeopardise its substantial income from british tourists

Perhaps we would have fared better if we didnt have this national propensity to gold plate policy.

Jon

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
Will the same apply to Johnny Foreigner coming here?

All those ex pats who have moved to foreign lands, given up their UK drivers licence, now having to apply for an idl, oh the irony.
what about the ones,sailing in,were are they going, in rubber dingys, please dont say kent, were are we going to build,
the mexico wall,in france, oh tu tu,pj ps. its now or never or is it over,?

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
Yes technically it will now as the UK with no deal will be the same as Zimbabwe:)
can be done on line here but I don't know why you are all worried about wanting a 1968 one for France as Spain only offers the 1949 one for everywhere.:xlaugh:

Is your licence Uk?
if i were you id get back,quickly we will fight them on the beeches,and thats in birmingham,pj

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
Had a nice trip into town on the bus Tuesday afternoon to visit the only post office within 50 miles who can issue an IDP (after my experience a couple of weeks ago I'm never driving into Newcastle ever again). A very nice lady was very knowledgeable on what was currently needed and without me having to leave the counter and re-queue, provided me with the 1949 IDP confirming that as I was not traveling to one of three countries, sorry can't remember them but they were quite obscure and inaccessible with a m/h, it was all I needed.

So with the info others have gleaned I'm confident that Brexit, no-deal or even no-Brexit, I'm as covered as I can possibly be. Just the travel insurance to renew now and I'm set.

Happy travels everyone - wherever you go!
im going to lidl ,do i qualify my parking is booked,pj

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
OK why should any country I. E. Spain, France or Portugal which relies heavily on tourism from the the UK want to put obstacles in the way which have never ever Bern there be fore.

You are right Roy, we Spanish residents still have to jump through the same hoops, being UK citizens and if it's the law that's it, I can't see them granting a special law for countries that wish to leave, they wouldn't want it to be easy because more would pull out. :xgrin:

There are many nationalities that visit Spain, and we rent our apartment to Polish, German, Belgian, French, Dutch, Spanish and English, :xwink: the English always want to pay less, the Spanish are our best clients. :xThumb:

What you have to remember is it's a minority that want to be out of the UK more than 90 days. :xsmile: Bob.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You are right Roy, we Spanish residents still have to jump through the same hoops, being UK citizens and if it's the law that's it, I can't see them granting a special law for countries that wish to leave, they wouldn't want it to be easy because more would pull out. :xgrin:

There are many nationalities that visit Spain, and we rent our apartment to Polish, German, Belgian, French, Dutch, Spanish and English, :xwink: the English always want to pay less, the Spanish are our best clients. :xThumb:

What you have to remember is it's a minority that want to be out of the UK more than 90 days. :xsmile: Bob.
IRO £13bn revenue from UK tourists. Spanish officials have been saying since quite soon after the referendum that they dont want to jeopardise it.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Another thing to carry when going into EU in future along with the IDP ( 1 or 2) , should be US dollars for when the Euro goes tits up , as it will be a as likely as getting asked for IDP , in my estimation , going by my travels pre EEC in Europe .
Yes I did used to carry USD back then as well , for the more rare destinations . :)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Another thing to carry when going into EU in future along with the IDP ( 1 or 2) , should be US dollars for when the Euro goes tits up , as it will be a as likely as getting asked for IDP , in my estimation , going by my travels pre EEC in Europe .
Yes I did used to carry USD back then as well , for the more rare destinations . :)

Just think how different the UK is to 45 years ago when we joined the EEC, joining what was then only six other countries. Do you not think that those other 27 countries might have changed a bit as well in the intervening 45 years? It amuses the hell out of me those folk that say it will go back to like it was before - it won't everywhere is different now.

The Euro is only used in 19 of the 27 countries the others kept their currencies. And as to the Euro going tits up that will be the very worst thing that could happen for the UK, remember the blip in our exports that came after the vote, that came due to the 15% reduction in the value of sterling making our exports cheaper. If the euro plunges then their exports get cheap at just the same time ours are hit with tariffs. Still at least we've got blue passports.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Just think how different the UK is to 45 years ago when we joined the EEC, joining what was then only six other countries. Do you not think that those other 27 countries might have changed a bit as well in the intervening 45 years? It amuses the hell out of me those folk that say it will go back to like it was before - it won't everywhere is different now.

The Euro is only used in 19 of the 27 countries the others kept their currencies. And as to the Euro going tits up that will be the very worst thing that could happen for the UK, remember the blip in our exports that came after the vote, that came due to the 15% reduction in the value of sterling making our exports cheaper. If the euro plunges then their exports get cheap at just the same time ours are hit with tariffs. Still at least we've got blue passports.

I am fully cognisant of the changes in Euro countries over the years , as I have been there frequently, experiencing it take place , not always for the best IMHO . I also was not actively promoting the demise , of the Euro, just suggesting actions to attenuate the inevitable destination unless there is a radical change, and there is plenty of that opinion in financial circles , and it might start just over the Irish sea , if things are decided here the way its looking, its on a knife edge :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why indeed? Why would they want to bite the hands that feed them now , but they do?
You have to remember that it is not one country but 17 autonomous provinces which more or less have complete power over what laws & rules & regulations they wish to enforce.
Why should the regions that have no income from 'tourists' care about dreaming up enforcing laws that generate income for them at the expense of the foreigners ? Don't worry about post March 2019 it goes on now!

Never needed one before we were led into the 'common market' so what's the difference now ?
You did/do & also in many other countries & in various american states even though people state they've never needed them or been asked. Doesn't mean
That you aren't required to have one when it all hits the fan.

what about the ones,sailing in,were are they going, in rubber dingys, please dont say kent, were are we going to build,
the mexico wall,in france, oh tu tu,pj ps. its now or never or is it over,?
They should be picked up & returned to the French shore & tossed overboard .to wade back to the shore.

IRO £13bn revenue from UK tourists. Spanish officials have been saying since quite soon after the referendum that they dont want to jeopardise it.
That's only the ones who might have an interest. I can't see to many officials or people in areas without tourism worrying.You also have to remember that Barcelona actually introduces laws to curb tourism with the locals wanting an even bigger crackdown on it..

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That's only the ones who might have an interest. I can't see to many officials or people in areas without tourism worrying.You also have to remember that Barcelona actually introduces laws to curb tourism with the locals wanting an even bigger crackdown on it..

16% of income is a big chunk for most people/companies/bodies. Its not all Germans who make cars or all French people who make cheese and wine either.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
16% of income is a big chunk for most people/companies/bodies.

Tourism overall is 16% of Spain's income, from all tourists not just UK visitors. Numbers of tourists have grown in recent years as people have started avoiding some destinations further afield as they consider them dangerous, as has been said above some places are now trying to deter tourists.

Most UK tourists fly and not drive so the IDDP will have no impact on them, nor will 90 days etc etc - these are all motorhome specific problems.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Tourism overall is 16% of Spain's income, from all tourists not just UK visitors. Numbers of tourists have grown in recent years as people have started avoiding some destinations further afield as they consider them dangerous, as has been said above some places are now trying to deter tourists.

Most UK tourists fly and not drive so the IDDP will have no impact on them, nor will 90 days etc etc - these are all motorhome specific problems.

I see a lot of UK motorhomes and cars in Spain, in campsites, hotels and on the roads, the spanish know we are there and want to keep us going there, they dont want to add to their unemployment problems. I could paste the links but google will find far more for you.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I see a lot of UK motorhomes and cars in Spain, in campsites, hotels and on the roads, the spanish know we are there and want to keep us going there, they dont want to add to their unemployment problems.

Of course you see UK registered vehicles, we currently have freedom of movement. After the 29th March? Well who knows. But it won't be the Spanish hotelier or campsite owner who decides, it won't even be the Spanish Government - it will be the other 26 nations that force their hand into following the collective rules of the club. And if you don't think the local police won't be keen to enforce any new fines, across the EU not just Spain, then think how happily they are to take you to the cash point even now.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Of course you see UK registered vehicles, we currently have freedom of movement. After the 29th March? Well who knows. But it won't be the Spanish hotelier or campsite owner who decides, it won't even be the Spanish Government - it will be the other 26 nations that force their hand into following the collective rules of the club. And if you don't think the local police won't be keen to enforce any new fines, across the EU not just Spain, then think how happily they are to take you to the cash point even now.

I couldnt disagree more. Spain has its own issues, it will not kowtow to EU rules, especially not silly ones.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I wrote to the Department for Transport about this and here is what they sent
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...al/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal.

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it and will prepare accordingly although some on here would rather stick their heads in the sand.
Hopefully there will be an agreement that allows us to carry on driving in the EU virtually as we have done, but just in case for the sake of about £8 I will make sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back