British Tourist killed in Morocco (2 Viewers)

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
I have a good way of avoiding contact,I HATE Cats, Dogs, most animals apart from on plate medium rare, and carry a water pistol to keep them off

Every society has sad people. If you actually carry a water pistol then your problems go beyond a mere intense dislike and fall into the sphere of needing support and help from a professional.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Every society has sad people. If you actually carry a water pistol then your problems go beyond a mere intense dislike and fall into the sphere of needing support and help from a professional.
I'm always wary of people who dislike animals.

In my own personal experience they've not been my kind of people.

And those who are cruel to them I'd happily pull out there fingernails with pliers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Sooo, are we saying not to pay the £150 for rabies jabs before we go , really dont want to die a nasty death, not yet anyway

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
'A tourist was KILLED' is much more of an attention grabber that 'A tourist DIED'.
Local papers know how to grab readers' attention.
Dead man found in graveyard.jpg

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Sooo, are we saying not to pay the £150 for rabies jabs before we go , really dont want to die a nasty death, not yet anyway

Trust me, it is an awful way to die. The fear and abject terror that proceeded my sisters enforced medical coma will stay with me.
I nursed her in the early phase, after the GP dismissed her as ‘anxious’

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
forget the Sun's headline.. or the way it was reported.. that is diversionary from the salient facts

and thank's @buttons for posting

I think it was worth posting as a reminder to seasoned and first time travellers alike, to be aware of the risks and take preventative measures.. and not just from Rabies.. see link. Fit For Travel

and especially those taking pets with them.

this Veterinary Journal provides the history and what measures the Moroccan government are taking trying to eradicate the disease.. makes interesting if depressing reading.

this is not to alarm or put anyone off visiting this wonderful country, but forewarned is forearmed..

Fit For Travel. This is well worth reading>>
https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/morocco

A Century Spent Combating Rabies in Morocco (1911–2015): How Much Longer?

Broken Link Removed

Despite the fact that the first rabies vaccination for dogs dates back to 1911 in Morocco, rabies is still endemic. Despite an annual decline in the number of cases, the situation is alarming, and 19 deaths by rabies registered in 2015 is too high a price to pay. The epidemiological characteristics of the disease have been stable for the past century: dogs remain the vector and the reservoir of the disease, while other animal species are its victims. There are two peaks in the number of cases each year: one in the autumn and the other in the spring, in keeping with the sexual cycle of bitches. Rabies is endemic throughout Morocco, with a higher concentration of cases in areas where the human population is denser. The disease is mainly rural. The circulating virus is genetically homogeneous and belongs to the Africa 1 genotype. Several rabies control plans have been implemented, all with the same strategy of vaccinating owned dogs, opening rabies treatment centers, and increasing the budget for PEP. Unfortunately, the results are limited.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It would be interesting to see from all the funster who visited Morocco over the year how many did and didn't have a rabies vaccination.
Not their reasons for or not, just if they did or not.
I think I know the outcome.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think I know the outcome.

I think I also know John.. very few if any

when we visited we were in Spain, and went on the spur of the moment, didn't think about it and didn't have any vaccinations ..
but we were warned about dogs and risk of rabies.

Can't recall seeing it discussed or mentioned in any other threads about Morocco.. but I may have missed it..

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We had the jab two injections a week apart
pink fluid if memory serves NHS no charge in 2008

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Forgot to mention we had gone for usual travel vacs as recomended hepatitis etc
and just mentioned our destination
the conversation resulted in the nurse suggesting that staying in the tourest west would present no special problems
when we said we intended to tour into the heart of Morocco,
it was she who recomended the Rabbies Vaccination

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I only take it to restraunts in Morocco to keep them away, if you don't like it tough

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had the jab two injections a week apart
pink fluid if memory serves NHS no charge in 2008
That sounds very lucky why would the NHS pay for travel vacinations?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Funny I thought that too lol

Tourist died in morroco would have been better.

I don't think the cat had murder on its mind lol

Accidental death due to misadventure
The fact that the cat intentionally scratched the camper then the camper dying from her injuries would suggest a little more than the tourist just dying of natural causes. If a Lyon jumped on you and you died from your injuries what would you call that....misadventure.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The fact that the cat intentionally scratched the camper then the camper dying from her injuries would suggest a little more than the tourist just dying of natural causes. If a Lyon jumped on you and you died from your injuries what would you call that....misadventure.
Yes. What else would it be its natural behavior for a lion and most likely the cause is misadventure of the person getting too close. Back to the rabies though as India has many more cases than Morocco should everyone going there have a rabies jab and as going to the States carries an increased risk of gun related attacks should no-one go there?. As there is a risk of death when driving should we all sell our motorhomes or do we look at the risk per person and the attraction of the activity then decide just to live for now and take the risk. If we let the sad death of one person detract us from visiting a country aren't we just the same as the overzealous stopping school trips where there is any perceived risk however remote.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes. What else would it be its natural behavior for a lion and most likely the cause is misadventure of the person getting too close.
Did you find anything else in the bottom of that barrel wino.....:)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am unable to find the source that states it was a camper that was bitten, can you provide a link please.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Did you find anything else in the bottom of that barrel wino.....:)
Well what would you call a lion killing someone pre-meditated murder or just a free range take away!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am unable to find the source that states it was a camper that was bitten, can you provide a link please.
Me neither apart from a reliable source on LBC radio this morning where the death is being used in their main news broadcasts referring to this woman as being a camper......

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That sounds very lucky why would the NHS pay for travel vacinations?
Vacinations are not just for the benifit of the traveler.
they are given free to protect the general public when returning travelers got back .from a host of comunicable virusus
according to one NHS site i just looked at there is still a long list of free vacinations including rabbies on page 1 but excludes it on page rwo so it seems the NHS isnt sure whats free or not either i can only repeat we were not charged for any of them

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Of course

There's a difference between a lion and a cat , we all know lions are dangerous and predators and if they attack you they most certainly want to kill and possibly eat you.

A cat on the other hand ....I wouldn't think so buttons

Have you been on the sherry

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes. What else would it be its natural behavior for a lion and most likely the cause is misadventure of the person getting too close. Back to the rabies though as India has many more cases than Morocco should everyone going there have a rabies jab and as going to the States carries an increased risk of gun related attacks should no-one go there?. As there is a risk of death when driving should we all sell our motorhomes or do we look at the risk per person and the attraction of the activity then decide just to live for now and take the risk. If we let the sad death of one person detract us from visiting a country aren't we just the same as the overzealous stopping school trips where there is any perceived risk however remote.
My sister is flying out to India this morning as she's teaching nurses out there on paediatric epilepsy.

I'll have to ask her if she's had a rabies jab

Edit

I just text her she didn't and wasn't advised to .....shes going to Mumbai

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have a good way of avoiding contact,I HATE Cats, Dogs, most animals apart from on plate medium rare, and carry a water pistol to keep them off

Medium rare? You heathen!!
Rare is the only way to go :LOL::LOL:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Medium rare? You heathen!!
Rare is the only way to go :LOL::LOL:
Ok Sue your right.
This is for the more mature Funsters
What do you call a well endowed feral Tom cat??
A Mau Mau terrorist! !:party2:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Having been to India (Goa & Mumbai),4 years ago, Morocco many years ago, we had the usual cocktail of vaccinations, the rabies vaccine was not one of them:eek:
Les

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just been for our Vaccine review for Morocco today . only needed the Typhoid as ours had run out .

We asked about the Rabies jab , they said that the Doctors / Health Guidelines say you don't need it , BUT , if you want it go to the Holiday clinics at Asda , Tesco you will need 3 separate jabs at a cost of ...£150 owwww much .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back