Euro Tunnel- Pet Travel Scheme Update -if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
By email today..

As a customer who has previously travelled on Eurotunnel with your pet, we wanted to make you aware of DEFRA’s update on the Pet Travel Scheme if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

DEFRA have today announced their recommendation that pet owners planning to travel immediately after 29th March 2019 contact their vet at least four months in advance of travel to check what they need to do.

For example, if you are travelling on 30th March 2019 the recommendation is that you visit your vet as soon as possible, and before the end of November 2018 at the latest.

DEFRA have advised that you will still be able to travel with your pet to Europe after Britain leaves the EU, however you may need to take some additional steps to allow your pet/s to travel in a ‘no deal’ scenario.

Stay up to date with the latest advice by visiting www.gov.uk and searching "pet travel". Updates will also be available at eurotunnel.com.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, I've received that, too. Just phoning the vet to arrange the titre test.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, so it would appear that the reason for the visit to the vet is to get the blood test done to check the effectiveness of the rabies vaccination your dog has already had, allowing time for it to be re-vaccinated if the result isn't sufficient. This is similar to the requirement for non-EU countries already:

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/rabies-vaccination-boosters-and-blood-tests

Unlisted countries
You must follow certain rules after having your pet vaccinated if you’re travelling to the UK from an unlisted country:
  1. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination.

2. Your vet must send the blood sample to an from either inside the EU or outside the EU.

3. The results of the blood test must show that the vaccination was successful (rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml).

4. You must wait 3 months from the date the blood sample was taken before you travel - you do not need to wait if your pet was vaccinated, blood tested and given a pet passport in the EU before travelling to an unlisted country.

5. The vet must give you a copy of the test results and enter the day the blood sample was taken in a third-country official veterinary certificate.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Back to the way it was at the beginning for those that remember. At first you could only use 1 specified lab in the UK for the tests, then you could use one in Sweden for those overseas and then it was relaxed so no check was required, only the safety period of injection plus 30 days before travel

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Our vet is unsure and very little guidance has been given to them. She is suggesting that the blood test may be needed and yes we could be in the position to require that by the end of this month into beginning of December! Arghh

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I got the same email, it's a bit vague isn't it?

What would a visit to the vet do?

Would they have advanced information about what to do
If the dog hasn't had a rabies vaccination before then the timescale is indeed 4 months. It starts with the vaccination then you have to wait 3 months before a blood test is taken to check the vaccination has worked. One month later and with a fit to travel certificate from the vet you can travel.

The above arrangements are the existing rules for dogs entering the EU from "Third countries". The unknown is how dogs travelling from the UK will be treated after B day if no deal is agreed. Hopefully common sense will prevail. :)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Last time we did ours it wasn't cheap, think it was £150 per test although that was 15yrs ago when there was only a couple of labs approved, hopefully it's cheaper now.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Yes it’s cheaper now apparently £120! :mad:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I'm confused. My dog has a pet passport which was issued earlier this year in Portugal. He had his rabies booster 2 weeks ago in the UK because we are leaving tomorrow to tour Spain until end of this year. We are again leaving the UK on 26th March 2019 to travel to Greece. What should I be doing?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The unknown is how dogs travelling from the UK will be treated after B day if no deal is agreed. Hopefully common sense will prevail. :)

& the other unknown ,how will dogs from the EU entering the Uk be treated ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm confused. My dog has a pet passport which was issued earlier this year in Portugal. He had his rabies booster 2 weeks ago in the UK because we are leaving tomorrow to tour Spain until end of this year. We are again leaving the UK on 26th March 2019 to travel to Greece. What should I be doing?
Does he have a Portugese passport & is the chip registered there as then he isn't a UK dog.Just like mine isn't
Anyway you are going before it will change .

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@The Dudess That's a difficult one. I don't know what to say. I'm thinking that, maybe you should get it done asap in Spain. You should be OK as long as your dog tests positive for the antibodies. Otherwise, you'll probably be best to get him re-inoculated in Spain. o_O
I don't think you can risk leaving it until you get back from Spain, in case he needs to be re-done.
Maybe @DBK has a view?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
@The Dudess That's a difficult one. I don't know what to say. I'm thinking that, maybe you should get it done asap in Spain. You should be OK as long as your dog tests positive for the antibodies. Otherwise, you'll probably be best to get him re-inoculated in Spain. o_O
I don't think you can risk leaving it until you get back from Spain, in case he needs to be re-done.
Maybe @DBK has a view?

& this is where it all degenerates into a shambles. Why is the dog, assuming he has a Portugese passport & chip which isn't UK registered , coming under UK requirements just because the owners are from the UK ?
This is what I am afraid of if there isn't a deal that if I come to the UK next summer with the dog I will be assumed to be Uk even though I am a registered spanish permanent resident & they will be trying to stop my dog leaving when he doesn't come under there requirements as he is spanish.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
& this is where it all degenerates into a shambles. Why is the dog, assuming he has a Portugese passport & chip which isn't UK registered , coming under UK requirements just because the owners are from the UK ?
This is what I am afraid of if there isn't a deal that if I come to the UK next summer with the dog I will be assumed to be Uk even though I am a registered spanish permanent resident & they will be trying to stop my dog leaving when he doesn't come under there requirements as he is spanish.

I don't see it like that. To me it's simply that the UK may (quite likely) go BACK to the original scheme which required ALL travellers (UK and any others) to have the blood test for a qualifying animal (Cat, Dog and Ferret).

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I read it as no change if your dog is up to date with pet passport titre etc, am I wrong?
I think it's the titre test which is crucial :unsure:. If your dog's already had one, as far as I understand, you should be OK.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Oh no, this is a disaster.

Does this mean we will have to remain with our pets in foreign parts until they can legally be brought home ?

Day after day marooned on free Aires, forced to forage for baguettes in the local boulangerie, slake our thirst on cheap village wine, while away our time overlooking rivers, rural or beach side stops, bemoan the warm days that envelop us and forced away from the madding crowd and problems at home for possibly weeks or even months ?

We're doomed, doomed I tell you ….......

:france: :france: :france: :france:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just to add to the above, it looks as though you'd still need to take your dog to the Official Veterinarian no more than 10 days before you travel, in order to get a health certificate.

I also found the following extract disturbing:
'If there’s no deal, pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU.'

I can't get my head round what the implications of that would be, if you were already in the EU (or in eg Morocco) on 29th March.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
bellabee - you don't need a Pet Passport to go to the EU - you only need it to get back into the UK .........

:france: :france: :france: :france:
Yes, but we're going to Morocco
ie, wanting to travel to the EU from a third country.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
BREAKING NEWS =

SUNSET 2.jpg

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Just to add to the above, it looks as though you'd still need to take your dog to the Official Veterinarian no more than 10 days before you travel, in order to get a health certificate.
I also found the following extract disturbing:
'If there’s no deal, pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU.'
I can't get my head round what the implications of that would be, if you were already in the EU (or in eg Morocco) on 29th March.

From what I can make of it ,if no deal,to get back into UK you would need ...blood test result and your passport which would have your health check and wormer in it.....but I could be wrong :D

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To me the UKGov web page was quite clear. In the event they cannot get an agreement with the EU you will need to go through the rabies exercise, which I would guess most have done anyway. But if not it can take up to 3 months to sort. The only other difference is we will need to get a Health Certificate from a UK vet up to 10 days before travelling, which lasts for 4 months. No info about longer absences though. Regulations for return to the UK are unchanged.

I would repeat, this is in the event the UK cannot get an agreement with EU, which they say is being worked on but very unlikely.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
If the dog hasn't had a rabies vaccination before then the timescale is indeed 4 months. It starts with the vaccination then you have to wait 3 months before a blood test is taken to check the vaccination has worked. One month later and with a fit to travel certificate from the vet you can travel.

The above arrangements are the existing rules for dogs entering the EU from "Third countries". The unknown is how dogs travelling from the UK will be treated after B day if no deal is agreed. Hopefully common sense will prevail. :)
I am assured by an unimpeachable source - my wife, who has been steeped in all things Brexit for 2 years now, I never heard her swear before - that UK automatically becomes a third country if there is no deal. The Gov.UK website refers to the possibility of "the UK not being granted third country status", which my wife says is "total pi*h".
So I think the existing rules for third countries will apply to us, unless there is a deal, any deal, which will then kick the can down the road for another couple of years.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I don't see it like that. To me it's simply that the UK may (quite likely) go BACK to the original scheme which required ALL travellers (UK and any others) to have the blood test for a qualifying animal (Cat, Dog and Ferret).
What to get in ?

It's all here.....looks like your pet has to have a health certificate as well before you travel,valid for 4 months :(

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
But he wouldn't be travelling out of the Uk but returning from whence he came, Spain. I wasn't worried about getting IN to the UK as he isn't a UK dog so wouldn't need what a UK dog requires that is returning to the UK ,needed to actually enter the EU. Mine doesn't need/wouldn't require any of that as he is here already & has a valid Spanish passport.

In the event of a no deal I'd be more concerned that By entering the UK he would now be classed as "entering an unlisted country" by France & Spain ?
Anyway no 4;
"You must wait 3 months from the date the blood sample was taken before you travel - you do not need to wait if your pet was vaccinated, blood tested and given a pet passport in the EU before travelling to an unlisted country. "
Would suggest that as he is spanish & all vaccinations, tests, chip & pet passport were done in spain, an EU country, he wouldn't have any bother as he would be allowed INTO the UK so should have no trouble getting out.
Which wouldn't affect mine as his is spanish .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back