Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's the problem Andrew, dealers prefer to sell to people who don't know what they are on about, have no experience of motorhomes and who don't ask many questions, it is much easier to fob those sort of people off.

That sounds about right Paul. (y)

The problem I find these days is that I'm chatting with salesman who haven't got a clue about the stuff they are selling. The company which I was dealing with (Devon based) only sell Globecar and one other type of PVC and yet you could write their combined Globecar knowledge on the back of a 2-inch sticky note..................and even then they would have to write BIG and in crayons just to fill the space :D

I might just buy a new Autotrail at this rate along with a new mastic gun; these foreign manufacturers don't deserve my money.

All the best

Andrew

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Well, having sent off a fairly grumpy email to our dealer last night they responded today to say they had been invoiced by Globecar for the van so it must be on it’s way.
I still think it will be end of November before we get it .... I’ll be needing winter tyres to drive it home!!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
.............they responded today to say they had been invoiced by Globecar for the van so it must be on it’s way.

Perhaps Globecar has just bought the bits with the money and will start building your van next month :D

Only joking, I'm sure you'll have it for Xmas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps Globecar has just bought the bits with the money and will start building your van next month :D

Only joking, I'm sure you'll have it for Xmas.
... which one ... :imoutahere:

... only kidding! :laughing:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Did any of you guys ever consider a Hymercar during the purchase of your current PVC.

I only ask back as the two brands seem to be on a very equal footing.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Did any of you guys ever consider a Hymercar during the purchase of your current PVC.

I only ask back as the two brands seem to be on a very equal footing.

For us, a third bed useable by a rapidly growing teenager was crucial ... only Globecar and the Westfalia Columbus met this criteria. I had expected to be wowed by the Columbus but was disappointed when we saw one in the metal.
From what I remember at the time we would have required a pop up in the Hymer. For us that was a weak point ... we occasionally get wind and rain here in Scotland and neither of those sit well with a pop up.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
.................they responded today to say they had been invoiced by Globecar for the van so it must be on it’s way.

I've been trying to work out what the dealer means by that comment but I'm still not sure.

I do hope you get it soon;)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I didn't because of the price... I did look at Globecar/Possl though but ultimately decided on my WildAx - have you looked at those?

We spent around 4-hours at the NEC and I think we saw the Wildax vans towards the back end of the visit.

I couldn't tell you what they looked like though - The fifty different brands all looked the same by then so I just went off for a coffee and a choccie biscuit. All I can recall was me eating the entire box of Jaffa Cakes:D

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I've been trying to work out what the dealer means by that comment but I'm still not sure.

I do hope you get it soon;)

I think he means he still has not had official notification from Globecar that it is on its way but that they usually raise an invoice on dispatch from factory. Realistically we will not get it now until 14/15th December as we are not around the last weekend in November or the first two in December .

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
@Blue Knight - in our Campscout the 2 'stairs' can be completely removed and we'd still have 2 single beds - there's a gap at the front 3rd of the bed area so we could put a removable set of steps there to get in/out of the bed if we took the original 'stairs' out but with the Revolution models you wouldn't have this gap so you need to think how you'd get in/out of bed with the centre partition removed. When we had the Familyscout with a transverse double it had the same central partition as the Campscout Revolution and we got round the bed access issue by having a tall plastic robust stool/step which was sufficient to allow easier access in/out of the bed but could be easily removed and plonked on the bed when necessary, it also meant that it could be left on the floor at night even when the toilet compartment was used as the tambour door went round it ... something to think about.

Yes Mel,

We use a folding plastic stool, from Dunholm Mill, which folds up and is stored in the lower cupboard, and left out at night standing on the shower tray protection board....works a treat.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
NEWSFLASH :D

We've just bought a Globecar Summit 640 from SMC today and to say we are both over the moon is an understatement. It ticks every one of our boxes and then some; a truly superb van!

Funny enough I did mention the Summit 640 in my opening post so it just goes to show how you can go around in circles and then finish where you first began.

Karen @Wombles - you've been a fantastic help with your advice on the Summit over the weeks so a big (y) to you. You're a star.

John @Neckender - we've avoided the drilling of the roof and I'm going down the Necvox Ant-534 route as you suggested. You're a very wise monkey as usual.

We also had help from some lovely fellow Funsters today, namely Janine and her hubby Andrew, @OwnedbyCollies who we had coffee with at SMC after doing a joint inspection of the entire Globecar range in stock. It made it much easier having a few other Funsters around to chat with about the various bits and pieces.

One for Mel @Minxy Girl - I've tested the shower tray and the fridge :D:D:D

We pick it up on Saturday 24th Nov so wish us luck. (Picture below).:cool:

May I just say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed in making this thread so informative as it really has helped us massively in our decision today.

Best Wishes to all,

Andrew & Nicky

20181103_152548.jpg

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Enjoy you lovely new van. 4 years on and we love our campscout.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Enjoy your new toy

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
It looks a lovely van Andrew congratulations I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, we just love our Campscout.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
NEWSFLASH :D

We've just bought a Globecar Summit 640 from SMC today and to say we are both over the moon is an understatement. It ticks every one of our boxes and then some; a truly superb van!
Another GOAFer perhaps? :D

John @Neckender - we've avoided the drilling of the roof and I'm going down the Necvox Ant-534 route as you suggested. You're a very wise monkey as usual.
Do you mean the Necvox Ant-536? o_O

One for Mel @Minxy Girl - I've tested the shower tray and the fridge :D:D:D
... what fridge has it got? The mark one or mark 2? The mark 2 has the proper freezer compartment which is fully insulated.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks guys - and sorry to drag this thread out a bit. When we get the van then I'll be sure to visit a weighbridge and post up some actual figures for reference purposes.

My search for a PVC has uncovered a few points though:

1. If you don't have the knowledge and support of a great bunch of Globecar owners like you peeps then you can quite easily order the wrong Globecar.

2. The Globecar options list and spec lists are a bl••dy minefield to navigate successfully, and with some GC dealers not knowing much about their products then I'm sure there are customers out there who make huge mistakes with their final van specs.

3. A Fiat-based vehicle on a PVC is far more easy to live with (and much more spaciois) over the Mercedes chassis which I found to be cramped and quite unsuitable as a PVC base.

4. We spent a whole load of time comparing the Hymercar range against the Globecar brand and IMO the Globecar vans look and feel better screwed together - the Globecar vans just seems to have a much more robust feel.

5. Lots of PVCs are not suitable for big dogs but I think we've found the one which affords us sufficient space.

That's all for now folks - Nicky and I are now going out for breakfast as a treat:)

Thanks again to all the Globecar Funsters(y)(y)(y)(y)

Andrew

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Are SMC registering it at the higher weight when they send the paper work in? They may tell you they can't but our dealer (JC Leisure) did it and it went through without a hitch and meant no extra cost to us to do it later.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Great looking van.
We asked SMC to do it for us when they registered our new van and they flatly refused.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Minxy Girl and @1ten

SMC were going to charge us £595 (via SV Tech) so I declined and will use Mr Ruffles instead.

Mel - Its the 80-10 compressor fridge with a full freezer unit but I didn't get the serial #.

Right, off for brekkie:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl and @1ten

SMC were going to charge us £595 (via SV Tech) so I declined and will use Mr Ruffles instead.

Mel - Its the 80-10 compressor fridge with a full freezer unit but I didn't get the serial #.

Right, off for brekkie:D
£595! :eek: It doesn't cost that even with SV Tech so were they planning on doing something else to it or just trying to make a quick extra profit? o_O

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
£595! :eek: It doesn't cost that even with SV Tech so were they planning on doing something else to it or just trying to make a quick extra profit? o_O

The standard SV Tech cost is currently £316 so in theory the dealer would be adding a healthy £279 admin charge for the privilege.

............but I'll be doing the 'Ruffle Shuffle' for £150 instead.

I should really add a sixth point to my learning list, i.e. Be very sceptical when it comes to dealer add-on costs :D and try and fits things yourself.:)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The standard SV Tech cost is currently £316 so in theory the dealer would be adding a healthy £279 admin charge for the privilege.

............but I'll be doing the 'Ruffle Shuffle' for £150 instead.

I should really add a sixth point to my learning list, i.e. Be very sceptical when it comes to dealer add-on costs :D and try and fits things yourself.:)

That's if Mr Ruffle Shuffle answers you phone calls or emails Andrew.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
:D and try and fits things yourself.:)
If you do your own mods you know they are done to the standard you want, and if you have to do any adjustments you know how to do it
Have fun
You could start with Minxy's list(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back