Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We got the freedom pack thrown in and the solar panel up graded to a 120w on our revolution . I think it is permanently 1/2 price! our van is a similar spec to that and has the 2nd rear bed.

It made me smile when you mentioned that the pack is permantly half price because we've thought the same for some time too :D The 120W solar unit is what I want after my current set-up which has done us fine for off-grid camping.

Did you opt for an awning?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
That's a very useful bit of info - a big (y) for that.

Too date I have only ever specified 'Awning' in the desired kit list to the dealer so what would you recomend I opt for, assuming that the dealer allows for options.

I did note at the NEC last week that Globecar were doing the Freedom Pack which included the F65 but I can remember if this applied to the Revolution model.

View attachment 263102

Bare in mind that I make awning blocker panels as part of my business so know more than most.

There are pros and cons between having an F45 fitted on the side and an F65 on the roof.

The Revolution is high so if you go for an F65 you will need taller panels or awning to fit. I also doubt a privacy room will fit due to the curved body (I cut my panels to fit)

If you fit an F45 you will have to drill the body and put brackets through to the inside, but you will have a lower awning that is on the less curved part of the van.

If you have a roof mounted awning you need the 4 meter one on the Revolution. the 370 wont cover the sliding door fully due to the position of the roof brackets

Then you need to look at the aesthetics, do you think a side mounted awning will be ugly compared to a roof mount, it also has more side protrusion.

Its not so simple!

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
It made me smile when you mentioned that the pack is permantly half price because we've thought the same for some time too :D The 120W solar unit is what I want after my current set-up which has done us fine for off-grid camping.

Did you opt for an awning?

We have the F65 awing and are happy with that, we don't use any sides on it. It also looks a lot less intrusive that the F45 we had on our T5.
the 120w seems to work well for us, the van was delivered in May so will have a better idea if we need more once we have had winter. We have two almost teenage daughters so normally stay on sites with hook up anyway, I don't think the Revolution shower is up to it for all four of us! We can also use hook up on our drive very easily if need be. The van has been parked up for the last four weeks with the fridge on and in the shade of our house and there is still life in the batteries!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Bare in mind that I make awning blocker panels as part of my business so know more than most.

There are pros and cons between having an F45 fitted on the side and an F65 on the roof.

The Revolution is high so if you go for an F65 you will need taller panels or awning to fit. I also doubt a privacy room will fit due to the curved body (I cut my panels to fit)

If you fit an F45 you will have to drill the body and put brackets through to the inside, but you will have a lower awning that is on the less curved part of the van.

If you have a roof mounted awning you need the 4 meter one on the Revolution. the 370 wont cover the sliding door fully due to the position of the roof brackets

Then you need to look at the aesthetics, do you think a side mounted awning will be ugly compared to a roof mount, it also has more side protrusion.

Its not so simple!

Crickey, it's not so simple at all. I best check the course list at Durham University to see if they do a BSc in Awning Design & Tecnology.:D

I think I would much prefer the top mounted unit from your list of options but then again I would need to go down the bespoke panel option - I think I know a man for that:whistle:

You're a star:cool:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We have the F65 awing and are happy with that, we don't use any sides on it. It also looks a lot less intrusive that the F45 we had on our T5.
the 120w seems to work well for us, the van was delivered in May so will have a better idea if we need more once we have had winter. We have two almost teenage daughters so normally stay on sites with hook up anyway, I don't think the Revolution shower is up to it for all four of us! We can also use hook up on our drive very easily if need be. The van has been parked up for the last four weeks with the fridge on and in the shade of our house and there is still life in the batteries!

That's invaluable to me - many thanks (y) You look to have bought the exact same combo as the one we're considering so it's great to know that it works well. It also goes nicely with the F65 choice after @jezport gave his tip-top advice.

All the best,

Andrew

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Crickey, it's not so simple at all. I best check the course list at Durham University to see if they do a BSc in Awning Design & Tecnology.:D

I think I would much prefer the top mounted unit from your list of options but then again I would need to go down the bespoke panel option - I think I know a man for that:whistle:

You're a star:cool:

Custom panels are no problem to me :)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have the F65 mounted on the roof
We have a sun screen the Mrs G made that hooks on
Used for the first time when in Germany in September
No idea if fitting one to the side panel would be better but the less holes I have to drill the happier I am

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A quick update:

I spoke with a dealer at the NEC who offered a good PX price against a Revolution which in itself was a cancelled order. We then agreed on a cost-to-change price.

I then wanted a few extras adding to the van so after a wee bit of negotiation we settled on a new increased cost-to-change price.

I then have a chat today with said dealer and discover my new price does not include the awning and the alloys. This is particularly annoying as I went through the list by line item to ensure that no mistakes were being made.

It's not the money which is an issue but the principle of the mistake so I'm not yet certain if I'm going to accept or not.

I'll have a think about it tonight.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A quick update:

I spoke with a dealer at the NEC who offered a good PX price against a Revolution which in itself was a cancelled order. We then agreed on a cost-to-change price.

I then wanted a few extras adding to the van so after a wee bit of negotiation we settled on a new increased cost-to-change price.

I then have a chat today with said dealer and discover my new price does not include the awning and the alloys. This is particularly annoying as I went through the list by line item to ensure that no mistakes were being made.

It's not the money which is an issue but the principle of the mistake so I'm not yet certain if I'm going to accept or not.

Keep the dealer sweating too!!:whew: You never know!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A quick update:

An awning can be added to the roof quite easily, you just buy the fixing kit for the existing roof 'lugs' along with the correct length of awning - you can't fit one shorter than the roof as the strengthened points on the awning casing have to line up with where the fixings/lugs go ... we found this out when we change from a 6m to a 6.36m PVC as our existing awning wouldn't fit.

However the allegedly 'half-price' kit is actually a good price as the awning and fixings alone could easily cost nearly that much on their own.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just another thing to think of ... check which fridge it has, some come with the extra large one (optional extra).

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Keep the dealer sweating too!!:whew: You never know!

I like your style Anthea but I'm not holding out much hope.

If it was a single small mistake then I would be fine with it but I have discussed this issue with the dealer on multiple occasions so there should be no last minute hiccups.

The dealer in question has only managed to achieve a score of 1 out of 5 for its last three Google reviews so IMO if they can't get their sales bit right then what hope do I have for any aftersales.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Just another thing to think of ... check which fridge it has, some come with the extra large one (optional extra).
The 18 Revolution comes with a smaller compressor fridge than the 17 model. Its still larger than the Campscout but suffers a smaller freezer section.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

That's a good point Mel since Nicky and I would both like a reasonably sized fridge for my huge choccie stash :D

Thanks for the awning info - much appreciated.

There's more stock at SMC now so I may visit them this weekend to see what options we have.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The 18 Revolution comes with a smaller compressor fridge than the 17 model. Its still larger than the Campscout but suffers a smaller freezer section.

There's no question that you really know your stuff.(y)

That said, I've spent a bit of time researching the Globecar brand and yet I still find that I know so little in some areas. This is not good when choosing a van.

I do find the Globecar brand to be a very difficult technical subject to understand in terms of kit, equipment, options etc.

I've said it before but a flat in Spain would be much simpler :D

All the best,

Andrew

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There's no question that you really know your stuff.(y)

That said, I've spent a bit of time researching the Globecar brand and yet I still find that I know so little in some areas. This is not good when choosing a van.

I do find the Globecar brand to be a very difficult technical subject to understand in terms of kit, equipment, options etc.

I've said it before but a flat in Spain would be much simpler :D

All the best,

Andrew

If you need to know anything just call me on my mobile, the number is on the Parrotsol website.
I know more about it than the dealers!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you need to know anything just call me on my mobile, the number is on the Parrotsol website.
I know more about it than the dealers!

I may give you the details of the dealer that I've been using because they don't know much about Globecar.

As it turns out the dealer and I have not been in contact with each other today so that Revolution is now off the shopping list.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I may give you the details of the dealer that I've been using because they don't know much about Globecar.

As it turns out the dealer and I have not been in contact with each other today so that Revolution is now off the shopping list.
Hmm ... difficulty is that there aren't that many Globecar Revolutions about so I wouldn't necessarily rule it out completely ...

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight Andrew I think @Phillybarbour is after selling his Campscout Revolution and it’s a 16 or 17 plate upgraded to 4500 kg, if your interested and can’t contact him, I could contact him on another forum.

John.

Hi John, I've just clicked on Phil's link/Avatar and his van looks to be the 67-plate Revolution (5000-miles) which I saw on Autotrader.

If I don't use a dealer PX scheme then I would need to sell my Pilote privately and that just scares the living daylights out of me.

We don't have space at our house for two vans.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hmm ... difficulty is that there aren't that many Globecar Revolutions about so I wouldn't necessarily rule it out completely ...

Yep, agreed Mel but the bit that plays in my favour is that they don't fly off the shelves either.

The silver Revolution on display at the NEC was sold on the Sunday but the rest of the 2019 UK build slots have not been touched yet.

There will be ample opportunity to grab a new one me thinks.:)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
At least you have your Pilote so you can keep MHing. Our June delivery turned into end September build and we’re still waiting for it to arrive in U.K. ... on this basis I would have a serious discussion with your dealer about maintaining the part exchange value if the van is older/has more miles due to delay in new van arriving even if they try to fob you off saying it never happens ... it does!

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Our van was delivered 3 months later than they stated it would be. We nearly got an apology.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Our van was delivered 3 months later than they stated it would be. We nearly got an apology.

3 months late would have been just in time for our October fortnight ... no more time off work now till 22nd December

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It's quite surprising that a big converter such as Globecar is producing poor delivery timelines for its punters.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
At least you have your Pilote so you can keep MHing. Our June delivery turned into end September build and we’re still waiting for it to arrive in U.K. ... on this basis I would have a serious discussion with your dealer about maintaining the part exchange value if the van is older/has more miles due to delay in new van arriving even if they try to fob you off saying it never happens ... it does!

That's a really good point as I'm sure some dealers will try and reduce the PX values - very cunning!

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
It's quite surprising that a big converter such as Globecar is producing poor delivery timelines for its punters.

Or maybe it’s the dealers thinking it will help win a sale

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you look on the German forum you see the wait for some models is very long
Revolutions are built in batches if you miss one run it could be a while till the next

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Or maybe it’s the dealers thinking it will help win a sale
It could simply be because they are a massive producer of PVCs that are in high demand and obviously there has to be a limit somewhere on productivity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back