Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Team,

Nicky and I have just returned from a week away in the Highlands and after a wee chat the two of us have concluded that our Pilote is far too big for touring the various places which we want to visit (Highlands & Islands, Orkney, Shetters, Wales, Ireland and English coastline etc). We just feel that the slightly reduced body size of the Globecar would help us avoid any potential run-ins with logging trucks, German coach tour buses and dodgy roads.

While I was at SMC yesterday I took the opportunity to enquire about a Campscout and a Summit 640 - these vans look fantastic and are just smaller versions of our Pilote if the truth be known.

We've been offered a very healthy PX against our van but that said I'm still struggling to read and understand the Globecar options list.

If I use the Campscout and the Summit 640 as a preferred option then what chassis would you guys recommend.

Also, what options would you Globecar owners advise as being essential kit for touring etc (incl cold weather options, solar & battery options and any other nice things for looking cool while touring).:cool:

I will have a few more questions as this thread unfolds.

Cheers All,

Andrew

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
It may not matter for you but if you want to take a lot of ferries in Scotland, the price goes up by 50% when you move from the 6m to 6.4m. Having said that, we went for the 6.4m Campscout since we wanted the extra space.
We bought off the lot so didn't consider factory options much. We got, but don't need, the 3rd bed. Other options were larger engine (very nice) and alloys (nice but bling rather than a necessity).
I'm sure the others will give you lits of helpful advice.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Fridge size options may come into it depending on your use which is what I've been looking into for our next van.

As standard the regular campscout has a 90l compressor but this has on option to change to a 138l 3 way one. The summit only comes with an 80l compressor and no other options.

It's in German but this options pricelist sheet is fairly self explanatory.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It may not matter for you but if you want to take a lot of ferries in Scotland, the price goes up by 50% when you move from the 6m to 6.4m. Having said that, we went for the 6.4m Campscout since we wanted the extra space.
We bought off the lot so didn't consider factory options much. We got, but don't need, the 3rd bed. Other options were larger engine (very nice) and alloys (nice but bling rather than a necessity).
I'm sure the others will give you lits of helpful advice.

Hi Sue, great info regarding the ferries. The options list has 2 options for alloys (light or heavy foe maxi chassis - Very xonfusing) but it's something we would want.

Which chassis did you opt for in the end.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Fridge size options may come into it depending on your use which is what I've been looking into for our next van.

As standard the regular campscout has a 90l compressor but this has on option to change to a 138l 3 way one. The summit only comes with an 80l compressor and no other options.

It's in German but this options pricelist sheet is fairly self explanatory.

Ah, very interesting indeed - that was certainly not very evident on the brochure while the sales guy I spoke with was not a Globecar expert.

The need for a decent fridge (and 3-way) is one of our top requirements for off-grid living so I think your post alone may have pushed us towards the Campscout.

Thanks again - you're a star (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a Campscout with the all electric fridge (90L) and find that more than sufficient for our needs, although I'd live a really bit freezer to get loads and loads of ice-cream in! :D

If you go for an all electric fridge make sure you allow for the extra solar and batteries that you'll need to power it - for our 90L fridge I installed two 100w solar panels and we have two 80ah (approx) gel batteries which I think is the minimum you would need. We only do 'off-site' camping (ie wild camping/parking, call it what you will) so being able to cope with our electrical demands is vital and we are doing so nicely with this set-up.

If you get the Campscout it will come on the Maxi heavy chassis with 16" steel wheels as standard and can be uprated to 4500kg thus giving you a lot more payload over the 3500kg rated ones ... and cheaper road tax!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We have a Campscout with the all electric fridge (90L) and find that more than sufficient for our needs, although I'd live a really bit freezer to get loads and loads of ice-cream in! :D

If you go for an all electric fridge make sure you allow for the extra solar and batteries that you'll need to power it - for our 90L fridge I installed two 100w solar panels and we have two 80ah (approx) gel batteries which I think is the minimum you would need. We only do 'off-site' camping (ie wild camping/parking, call it what you will) so being able to cope with our electrical demands is vital and we are doing so nicely with this set-up.

If you get the Campscout it will come on the Maxi heavy chassis with 16" steel wheels as standard and can be uprated to 4500kg thus giving you a lot more payload over the 3500kg rated ones ... and cheaper road tax!

Good stuff Mel (y)

I didn't get any of this info from the sales bloke yesterday but I'm not sure they knew much about the actual tech-side of the MoHo business - just sales!!

I was hoping to fit 2 x 115ah wet batteries with a 120w solar unit and a supporting MPPT Reg. We would probably stay off-grid for 3-days and then on-site for one night to help replenish water and deplete waste etc.

The Pilote has a 135l 3-way fridge and a 135l fresh water ank so I'm trying to replicate that combo as I know it works for us.

The Campscout seems to have a tonne of usable space so it seems to be the one to have for us.

That said Mel, does the Campscout come with the following gear as standard or not:

1. Locking assist for the main door.
2. Entry omni-step.
3. Door blinds to rear doors.
4. Gas Duo Control CS.
5. Winter Pack.

The parts list seems to indicate that the above five items are all cost options - Very confusing indeed.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Also, do you guys think that their would be more opportunity to get a better deal at the NEC in October?

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
While I'm on a roll can someone tell me the pros and cons (if any) concerning the shower configuration in the Campscout or Campscout B.

Does the van need to be 100% level for the water to flow away correctly from the shower tray and, if it's not level, then will the water overflow onto the van floor.

The Summit 640 has a nice foldaway shower system which I find quite appealing.

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We went for quite a few options on our campscout . Definitely recommend going for the 150hp engine upgrade, also running lights. Watch out for payload issues, we have just uprated to 3900kg as our van was on 3500 without packing any clothes and we have even removed the awning which we rarely use but weighs loads. We rarely both with messing around trying to get level, no probs on that score.

For what it's worth, after 4 years this has proved to be a brilliant van!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Good stuff Mel (y)

I didn't get any of this info from the sales bloke yesterday but I'm not sure they knew much about the actual tech-side of the MoHo business - just sales!!

I was hoping to fit 2 x 115ah wet batteries with a 120w solar unit and a supporting MPPT Reg. We would probably stay off-grid for 3-days and then on-site for one night to help replenish water and deplete waste etc.

The Pilote has a 135l 3-way fridge and a 135l fresh water ank so I'm trying to replicate that combo as I know it works for us.

The Campscout seems to have a tonne of usable space so it seems to be the one to have for us.

That said Mel, does the Campscout come with the following gear as standard or not:

1. Locking assist for the main door.
2. Entry omni-step.
3. Door blinds to rear doors.
4. Gas Duo Control CS.
5. Winter Pack.

The parts list seems to indicate that the above five items are all cost options - Very confusing indeed.

Hi @Blue Knight
All the Globecar D line models come with soft lock side entry door, including electric step and door blinds to the rear doors.
The winter pack as to be ordered, and ours did not come with dual control on the gas.
I would also order the elegance pack which is the white shiny door furniture which makes the interior a lot lighter and a bit more modern in my opinion.

You could also remove your recently fitted air suspension as it will fit the Campscout.

John.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We went for quite a few options on our campscout . Definitely recommend going for the 150hp engine upgrade, also running lights. Watch out for payload issues, we have just uprated to 3900kg as our van was on 3500 without packing any clothes and we have even removed the awning which we rarely use but weighs loads. We rarely both with messing around trying to get level, no probs on that score.

For what it's worth, after 4 years this has proved to be a brilliant van!

Catherine/Richard, many thanks for posting-up - your info is very helpful.(y)

Can I assume that the upgrading process was just a paper excersice or did you need to change your wheels and tyres too.

Thanks,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi @Blue Knight
All the Globecar D line models come with soft lock side entry door, including electric step and door blinds to the rear doors.
The winter pack as to be ordered, and ours did not come with dual control on the gas.
I would also order the elegance pack which is the white shiny door furniture which makes the interior a lot lighter and a bit more modern in my opinion.

You could also remove your recently fitted air suspension as it will fit the Campscout.

John.

Crickey, John, I've not even seen that pack on the pricelist yet. If I tell Nicky then she's only going to want the shiney stuff which means even more money spent :D

Thanks for the advice regarding the VB kit - I'll have that off in jiffy:whistle:

Have you got the Campscout or the 'B' version. I have the colour brochure on my lap so it is interesting to see the differences.

Thanks good mate,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
For us just a paper exercise, we used SvTech.

Many thanks ;) It is surprising just how these things add up.

The one thing that I like about the Globecar Technical List is that it quotes the mass of every available option.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi Sue, great info regarding the ferries. The options list has 2 options for alloys (light or heavy foe maxi chassis - Very xonfusing) but it's something we would want.

Which chassis did you opt for in the end.

Our 2018 Campscout is on the maxi chassis, which is I think standard on the Campscout. I used JR Consultancy to uprate to 4500kg without any modification. A big thumbs up to @Minxy Girl for highlighting how good he is (much more knowledgeable, quicker and much less expensive than SVTech). Lots of payload now which is great considering how much room there is to put "stuff".

Be sure to look at the mods posting and also look at @Minxy Girl 's webpage of her mods. These will give you lots of ideas and help you think about the designs.

Have fun.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Mines the ordinary Campscout and I had it uprated to 4100kg £150 all in at JRConsultancy and just a paper exercise.
He did Minxys at 4250 kg and another members at 4500 kg don’t know why he did the three at different weights.
Have a search for Globecar modifications by member Jezport and there’s loads of mods and info some of which you have already seen.
Andrew we have had a new motorhome every 3 years since 2008 and we’ve had 6 in 12 years the Globecar has been the best of the lot and we won’t be changing soon, we just love it.
Also there’s the Campscout Revolution with an extra high top and electric rear double bed.

John.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our 2018 Campscout is on the maxi chassis, which is I think standard on the Campscout. I used JR Consultancy to uprate to 4500kg without any modification. A big thumbs up to @Minxy Girl for highlighting how good he is (much more knowledgeable, quicker and much less expensive than SVTech). Lots of payload now which is great considering how much room there is to put "stuff".

Be sure to look at the mods posting and also look at @Minxy Girl 's webpage of her mods. These will give you lots of ideas and help you think about the designs.

Have fun.

Great post Sue - many thanks(y) I've had a sneaky peek of Mel's site @Minxy Girl and it's fantastic (but I'm not going to tell her that:D).

...........and you already live in the Highlands too.

Did you originally have a coachbuilt or A-class prior to the PVC.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Mines the ordinary Campscout and I had it uprated to 4100kg £150 all in at JRConsultancy and just a paper exercise.
He did Minxys at 4250 kg and another members at 4500 kg don’t know why he did the three at different weights.
Have a search for Globecar modifications by member Jezport and there’s loads of mods and info some of which you have already seen.
Andrew we have had a new motorhome every 3 years since 2008 and we’ve had 6 in 12 years the Globecar has been the best of the lot and we won’t be changing soon, we just love it.
Also there’s the Campscout Revolution with an extra high top and electric rear double bed.

John.

Recommendations don't come much higher than that sir. (y)

There was a Campscout Revolution at SMC yesterday but I was a bit unsure about the rear configuration of the beds. That said, it should be able to carry a tonne of gear in the back once the upper bed level is raised to the roof.

The two Campscouts are similar to our current layout so I don't think the missus would be prepared to change.

I've always been very complimentary about the Globecar range but it's not until recently that I have started to appreciate the fine quality of the vans.

I went to see the Autotrail, Swift, Adria and Rapido vans at Brownhills and they were all poor quality when compared to the Globecars.

SMC also sell the Autosleeper PVC range which IMO are nice to look at but don't seem to have the same dynamic interiors as the Globecar.

The Globecar would be my/our only PVC choice.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Recommendations don't come much higher than that sir. (y)

There was a Campscout Revolution at SMC yesterday but I was a bit unsure about the rear configuration of the beds. That said, it should be able to carry a tonne of gear in the back once the upper bed level is raised to the roof.

The two Campscouts are similar to our current layout so I don't think the missus would be prepared to change.

I've always been very complimentary about the Globecar range but it's not until recently that I have started to appreciate the fine quality of the vans.

I went to see the Autotrail, Swift, Adria and Rapido vans at Brownhills and they were all poor quality when compared to the Globecars.

SMC also sell the Autosleeper PVC range which IMO are nice to look at but don't seem to have the same dynamic interiors as the Globecar.

The Globecar would be my/our only PVC choice.

After our last Auto Sleeper coachbuilt, I wouldn’t touch another Auto Sleeper with a barge pole.
It spent a lot of its 3 years back at the factory.

John.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I love the the Globecars!
@lorger imported his Globecar and may be able to help you with that as an option although I don’t know what saving s there are now with the £ being so low.
Good luck!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As Anthea says I imported a rhd uk spec can 2 years ago, I certainly saved a few pounds back then and still good savings to be made.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Globecar was on my (very) shortlist but the confusing and pricey options packages was but one reason why I eventually chose Wildax.
Most of the "optional extras" seemed to be standard making a significant price difference.

Still like the Globecar mind you.
:D2.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sell yours private, wait for the brexit deal to go through, then import as the exchange rate will hopefully go up. Simples.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Sell yours private, wait for the brexit deal to go through, then import as the exchange rate will hopefully go up. Simples.

That's a fab idea Paul but the dealer is offering such a great PX deal at this moment in time because he has run out of the big Pilote vans and needs stock asap.

It would also save me the hassle of selling privately.

Thanks mate,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Globecar was on my (very) shortlist but the confusing and pricey options packages was but one reason why I eventually chose Wildax.
Most of the "optional extras" seemed to be standard making a significant price difference.

Still like the Globecar mind you.
:D2.

I'm really pleased that you said that as I thought I was going mad with this bl@@dy options list. I do think Globecar has taken a leaf out of the 'Hymer book of Sales' though:D

That said, I've read some really good reviews of the Wildax so good choice indeed (y)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks @Anthea M and @lorger (y)

That does sound very favourable but with my PX value as it is now I think the idea of just dropping off the keys and picking up a new set is simpler.

I've also built up a nice little relationship with the dealer (for repairs etc) so that is worth a bit to me too.

Thanks guys,

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
After our last Auto Sleeper coachbuilt, I wouldn’t touch another Auto Sleeper with a barge pole.
It spent a lot of its 3 years back at the factory.

John.

Funny you should say that John as my campsite neighbour in the Highlands the other day said the same about his 64-plate Auto-Sleeper coachbuilt. He had owned his van for a shade over 3 years and it had leaked continously for the entire period (not to mention the many other faults).

Shocking!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
You have chosen the same model as ours for the same reasons!

The Campscout has 2 longer single beds that can be made into a double. Great for very tall people. The shower goes across the corridor when in use, cutting the van in two and being quite spacious a these things go. The standard fridge is raised for those who have sore knees.

The Campscout B has a low fridge, which means the van feels more open if your knees are good. Similar to the Summit 640. The difference is the bathroom. The summit has the all plastic bathroom with the door that moves across. The B has a normal bathroom.

I am not sure if all optional extras are available with the Summit. I read somewhere possibly not so worth checking.

We have ordered: 3rd bed for teenage son, Elegance pack because I love the cream units, solar panels and spare battery, awning. Reversing camera and alarm. We plan to get the busbiker swing out tow bar/ cycle rack fitted in Holland. We will upgrade to whatever we are allowed in payload. Probably 3950.

There is a revolution for sale on the fb Globecar Page .... about. A year old £5k miles. It only has the one enormous but height adjustable bed at the back. Looks great value but no part exchange of course. You get better headroom in the revolution and don’t need the second double bed. Shower goes across corridor, can’t remember if it’s high or low fridge though.

Good luck

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
You have chosen the same model as ours for the same reasons!

The Campscout has 2 longer single beds that can be made into a double. Great for very tall people. The shower goes across the corridor when in use, cutting the van in two and being quite spacious a these things go. The standard fridge is raised for those who have sore knees.

The Campscout B has a low fridge, which means the van feels more open if your knees are good. Similar to the Summit 640. The difference is the bathroom. The summit has the all plastic bathroom with the door that moves across. The B has a normal bathroom.

I am not sure if all optional extras are available with the Summit. I read somewhere possibly not so worth checking.

We have ordered: 3rd bed for teenage son, Elegance pack because I love the cream units, solar panels and spare battery, awning. Reversing camera and alarm. We plan to get the busbiker swing out tow bar/ cycle rack fitted in Holland. We will upgrade to whatever we are allowed in payload. Probably 3950.

There is a revolution for sale on the fb Globecar Page .... about. A year old £5k miles. It only has the one enormous but height adjustable bed at the back. Looks great value but no part exchange of course. You get better headroom in the revolution and don’t need the second double bed. Shower goes across corridor, can’t remember if it’s high or low fridge though.

Good luck

That's a great post - thanks @Grianan (y) You and I clearly have the same requirements.

I did look at a Revolution due to the extra internal height of the roof but I'm not that keen on the rear configuration of the bed.

That said, there are areas of the Campscout where I brush my head on the ceiling due to my height.

The other consideration is the external colour of the van - choices eh.

There's an Auto Campscout for sale at Dixon's of Perth with an RRP of just over £56,000. They are also a Pilote dealer so I may give them a ring to see if it's still available.

All the best,

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back