Time for a Globecar (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We have a new Campscout Revolution.
We went for:
150 engine, alloys, solar, electric fridge, winter pack, elagance pack (mainly for the flush windows, but the white cupboards do make it brighter), awing, colour coded bumpers, extra battery, combi 6 boiler. It also came with traction control and the like.
I would change any of our choices and after a lot of bartering got the deal we wanted.
I have always had 12 volt fridges and wouldn’t want a three way.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Andrew, how tall are you ?. I'm 6'1 and I'm not sure if anyone much taller would fit in the beds, the one on the passengers side is slightly longer so make sure you have a good lie down to test it.

I'm not sure if the UK van comes with 6e as standard, as your aware i bought mine in Germany and its UK spec but I opted for gas only. The reason for this was the price difference and whether it was worth it. I can't remember the price but in my opinion its not worth it, buy a small electric heater and plug it in as you need to be on hook up to use the e anyway. Why pay extra for something you don't need and if you do you can get it for £15, we bought a temp controlled heater and just plug it in and set it job done.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew, how tall are you ?. I'm 6'1 and I'm not sure if anyone much taller would fit in the beds, the one on the passengers side is slightly longer so make sure you have a good lie down to test it.

I'm not sure if the UK van comes with 6e as standard, as your aware i bought mine in Germany and its UK spec but I opted for gas only. The reason for this was the price difference and whether it was worth it. I can't remember the price but in my opinion its not worth it, buy a small electric heater and plug it in as you need to be on hook up to use the e anyway. Why pay extra for something you don't need and if you do you can get it for £15, we bought a temp controlled heater and just plug it in and set it job done.

I like your methodologies and thinking. I can now see why Mel @Minxy Girl went for her particular power configuration.

I'm 6'1 and find the beds OK but it's just the internal part of the van, especially the shower unit which I find most challenging. Our current Pilote coachbuilt has more space but if I'm honest I think Nicky will say no based on my height issue.

I do like your thinking regarding the heater and gas system though- very useful(y)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We have a new Campscout Revolution.
We went for:
150 engine, alloys, solar, electric fridge, winter pack, elagance pack (mainly for the flush windows, but the white cupboards do make it brighter), awing, colour coded bumpers, extra battery, combi 6 boiler. It also came with traction control and the like.
I would change any of our choices and after a lot of bartering got the deal we wanted.
I have always had 12 volt fridges and wouldn’t want a three way.

I originally said no to a Revolution but I'm thinking that it may be the better option due to the extra height.

I'm not that keen about the rear of the van but I'm quite handy with a jigsaw and a bit of material and could furnish it accordingly.

You've got me thinking outside the box now;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just a few more questions guys please:

1. We can keep our 24" Axtex from our Pilote and stick it in the Globecar but is this size screen too big or not.

2. What is the insulation levels like for when the van is operating in the cold. I've no experience of PVCs so I've not got a clue.

Thanks All,

Andrew

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a Revolution and I would recommend it for someone tall. Also remember the top cupboards are all bigger and there is a massive overcab locker.

A 24" TV would be fine.

Our van has the Truma 4E which is powerful enough for a panel van.

Not had problems keeping warm in winter

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We have a Revolution and I would recommend it for someone tall. Also remember the top cupboards are all bigger and there is a massive overcab locker.

A 24" TV would be fine.

Our van has the Truma 4E which is powerful enough for a panel van.

Not had problems keeping warm in winter

Many thanks for that Jez, it's definitely worth a look after you and the rest of the guys have pointed out the height-thing.

All the best,

Andrew

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We’re Campscout Revolution owners
Love the layout
We carry the bikes inside which was one of the reasons we went with the high roof
I’m also over 6 ft
Only possible down side is it’s not as easy to get into the bed
Mrs G sometimes has an ankle issue and uses a small portable step instead of the one in the rear devider panel
The ladders that come with the van are fine if the bed is raised ie when the bikes are inside but not suited if it’s at the down position
Don’t normally post this time of day but parked on the Mosel sainting on rain to stop, it’s the first in two weeks though

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We’re Campscout Revolution owners
Love the layout
We carry the bikes inside which was one of the reasons we went with the high roof
I’m also over 6 ft
Only possible down side is it’s not as easy to get into the bed
Mrs G sometimes has an ankle issue and uses a small portable step instead of the one in the rear devider panel
The ladders that come with the van are fine if the bed is raised ie when the bikes are inside but not suited if it’s at the down position
Don’t normally post this time of day but parked on the Mosel sainting on rain to stop, it’s the first in two weeks though

I'm hoping to see a few of the Globecar models in the next couple of weeks as the boss will need to decide if she likes the general feel of the vans.

I gave the Globecar dealership in Perth a call today and they still have the MY18 150BHP Campscout Auto for sale which I quite fancy.

The dealership has advertised the van @ £56,100 so do the Globecar Funsters out there think this is a good deal for this time of the year.

Cheers,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team, what are your thoughts on the usability of the Campscout (2.61m high) and the Revolution (2.83m high) in towns and car parks etc.

I only my ask since Nicky and I would like something which can access as many places as possible and the variation of the two heights may be the difference in getting into a location or not.

I would be keen to learn of any restrictions or considerations that any of you have with the 6.34m long variant. The ferry costs in Scotland has already been mentioned and was really useful.

(y)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Re price Blue Knight I fear time of year has little to do with it as they don’t sit in the forecourt for king ... demand is pretty well outstripping supply especially in Scotland, certainly for the Summits and Campscouts. Dixon’s seem ok on price, Highland in
Inverness more expensive, Signature Motorhomes in Preston similar to Dixons.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Andrew, regarding your height i personally dont see an issue with the lower van. As iv'e mentioned i'm over 6ft tall, quite broad and have no issues using the shower or any other area in the van.

As for parking and access in towns and cities we haven't really noticed any difficulties, we always try and find a space with grass or waste land behind so we can park the back end over it. We downsized from a 7.4M coach built and found it a bit small to start but after a couple of nights in the van we had no regrets, its certainly easier and quicker getting places. As for ferry prices you'll save money on fuel so might level out.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Re price Blue Knight I fear time of year has little to do with it as they don’t sit in the forecourt for king ... demand is pretty well outstripping supply especially in Scotland, certainly for the Summits and Campscouts. Dixon’s seem ok on price, Highland in
Inverness more expensive, Signature Motorhomes in Preston similar to Dixons.

Very useful inded - thank you ;) In that case I suspect the clincher will be based on the Pilote's value hence the reason why SMC and Dixon's are my preferred option.

There's not much Globecar dealer choice when you live in Durham albeit the Preston dealer is in theory the closest.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew, regarding your height i personally dont see an issue with the lower van. As iv'e mentioned i'm over 6ft tall, quite broad and have no issues using the shower or any other area in the van.

As for parking and access in towns and cities we haven't really noticed any difficulties, we always try and find a space with grass or waste land behind so we can park the back end over it. We downsized from a 7.4M coach built and found it a bit small to start but after a couple of nights in the van we had no regrets, its certainly easier and quicker getting places. As for ferry prices you'll save money on fuel so might level out.

That's a great post - so you've done exactly what we are contemplating. Very nice to hear.

Many thanks ;)

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We plan to get the busbiker swing out tow bar/ cycle rack fitted in Holland. We will upgrade to whatever we are allowed in payload. Probably 3950.

The Busbiker is a great bit of kit, we are very pleased with ours and the service was very good.
We got our payload to the max 4500kg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Team, what are your thoughts on the usability of the Campscout (2.61m high) and the Revolution (2.83m high) in towns and car parks etc.

I only my ask since Nicky and I would like something which can access as many places as possible and the variation of the two heights may be the difference in getting into a location or not.

I would be keen to learn of any restrictions or considerations that any of you have with the 6.34m long variant. The ferry costs in Scotland has already been mentioned and was really useful.

(y)
I don't think you will notice any difference, both of those heights are above the typical bar you have to get under to access some car parks. Many are 1.9m with others up to 2.1m.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So your not expecting any tariffs then?

I don't want to get into the what ifs as no one knows exactly what will happen.

Like any big change there are always winners and losers, new opportunities and business will emerge, in 10 years my thoughts are we will thrive and what was all the panic about.

I clearly remember Nick Clegg(Anybody remember this gentleman) over 20 years ago on the TV, at rallies and meetings about how it would be a total, utter, complete disaster if we did not join the single currency, this country would be finished.

Ring any bells.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys, one more question - sorry!

Some of you have bought new Globecars only to modify them after delivery with the addition of solar units, batteries, new internal additions etc, but may I ask if this has affected your warranty in any way.

.........and can someone kindly explain the warranty allowance: Is it 2-years for the base vehicle and 5-years for the hab/water ingress.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Guys, one more question - sorry!

Some of you have bought new Globecars only to modify them after delivery with the addition of solar units, batteries, new internal additions etc, but may I ask if this has affected your warranty in any way.

.........and can someone kindly explain the warranty allowance: Is it 2-years for the base vehicle and 5-years for the hab/water ingress.

Andrew it’s 2 years for Fiat and Hab warrantee, I’ve had no problems what so ever with SMC with warrantee work even with all my mods.

John.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew it’s 2 years for Fiat and Hab warrantee, I’ve had no problems what so ever with SMC with warrantee work even with all my mods.

John.

Thanks John, I wonder if you can take out the 5-year extended warranty on a PVC like you can a coachbuilt.

Nic and I are off to Perth tomorrow to check out there vans so it will be a long day travelling.

We also intend to enquire about the Pilote V630 range while we're up there albeit no one seems to stock them - order only.

All the best,

Andrew

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks John, I wonder if you can take out the 5-year extended warranty on a PVC like you can a coachbuilt.

Nic and I are off to Perth tomorrow to check out there vans so it will be a long day travelling.

We also intend to enquire about the Pilote V630 range while we're up there albeit no one seems to stock them - order only.

All the best,

Andrew

Wow, Perth is a long way just for a look, surely there are nearer dealers?

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Wow, Perth is a long way just for a look, surely there are nearer dealers?

A total of 340 miles I think Paul.

SMC is the closest Globecar dealer to us (135 miles) and Perth is the next closest.

I was at SMC the other day on my own but they've now sold their only Campscout.

Perth has one Campscout is stock so at least it will give Nicky a chance to have a look.

We are also going to price-up a Pilote V630F at both dealers but SMC is still my 1st option.

I'll send some pics :D

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
We have the 2013Pilote F630 (now the V630).Downsize from a coachbuilt and have never looked back. A few screws come loose over the 5years and some of the Fiat usual faults, but we are very pleased with the van.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Blue Knight ... Signature in Preston have a Campscout in ... worth giving Chris Hunter a ring. We are buying ours from him but it is a factory order. He gave us a good price and was recommended by a couple of other Globecar owners.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back