Legal requirements in France......advice please (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Good day Funsters!
We are off to France next month. First time with the van. Happy with the driving bit as have done that quite a few times in a car.
We are going on Chunnel and then down to Arras,then to a wedding in a village just north-east of Paris,then to Normandy coast,before returning home.
So far Ive got this list of legals:
Passports (really?!)
Bulb kit
Beam deflectors
Two warning triangles
High viz jackets

Any other legal requirements that I have overlooked? Thanks.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Driving licence.

GB badge if you don’t have euro plates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I noticed that the Chunnel are still displaying the need for two Breathalisers. Is that because they're stuffed with a load of stock they can't shift.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
First aid kit, spare spectacles if you use them. Also emissions carte, don't know official name, if going through Paris or Lyon

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Illegal to have Sat-Nav warnings of Speed Cameras in France - can result in heavy fines. If you use one make sure it is up-to-date (and ,if necessary, disable the Speed Camera warning whilst in France). Tom-Tom updated their offering to warn of "Dangerous Road Section Ahead" and changed the warning tone so that it is not the same as that used for Speed Cameras (sorry....I should really call them "Safety Cameras"). The French think the change from a Speed Warning to a Dangerous Road Section Warning is perfectly acceptable and a good laugh!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Mr Munchie. I guess that a photocopy of the V5 would be OK? Don’t really want to travel everywhere with it.

As said all documents have to be originals, we carry copies as well kept in a different place! BTW a Stop sign in France means you MUST stop! I. E. The wheels must not turn or risk a fine!

Reactions: Mel
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Don't forget a phrase book :LOL:

french 1.jpg

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Keep your v5 safe with you, if if a disaster occurs and your van is stolen the French police will not get involved until you show your v5. Enjoy your trip lol.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
All of my original vehicle documents have been photocopied and then laminated. In laminate form they do not get damaged easily and look very official. I have never been asked to produce vehicle documents (yet - tempting fate!) anywhere in Europe but, just in case I do, I also take the originals with me when touring. As an extra precaution, I also have copies of Passports and all of the other documents stored in the "cloud". In the event of theft or other disaster, I can at least go on-line and, if necessary, print out a copy. It would (for example) be really useful having Passport details accessible if it became necessary to obtain temporary travel documents from an (say) a British Embassy.

As well as a MoHo, we are lucky enough to have a small sailing boat in which we have travelled extensively around Europe and in the Med. All of the equivalent Ship's Papers (ownership, insurance etc) are regularly required to be produced when checking in/out of marinas and new countries. Again I have laminated copies and keep the originals safely stored. So far, no Official has been unwilling to accept a laminated copy - perhaps mistakenly thinking they are originals.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Scan and upload to a cloud storage medium, icloud, onedrive, dropbox.

Have to take originals but if scanned can at least contact DVLA with details if the worst happens. Just remember it won't be you!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

We pulled up at a stop sign in Brittany, on tickover, wife said clear here, my side was clear so pulled out. Gendarmes pulled me in and i was fined! On leaving he said in English your wheels must not turn!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Podney

You queried the need for passports.

The reason they are needed is that in France and many countries one has to carry a valid ID document at all times. Most Continentals satisfy this requirement by carrying a National ID card, but UK does not have one, not even the voluntary scheme which was terminated.

So a passport is the only way to identify oneself. A bit impractical if one is in shorts and a T-shirt(or on a nudist beach). I suspect that in most cases if one were asked for ID a photocard Driving Licence would be accepted, but personally I would prefer to back that up with the offer of seeing my passport in the MH, but would not risk bullsh*ting about that.

So it is best to take the passports.

Geoff

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Forgive me for saying this BUT is no wheels turning NOT a requirement in the UK for a stop sign?

Only difference (and sadly at times) is there isn't a bod poised to make you pay for your transgression!

At times we forget that the rules are very similar and we have grown accustomed to ignoring them. I'm as guilty of this as most and often apply the phrase that rules apply to others.

I WISH.

It's like the village we live in has introduced a 20mph limit, its now like a race track. WHY the narrow streets and parked cars make exceeding it dangerous. But heh what the heck lets go for it, been even forced off the road on the push bike just so they can zoom through.

Me thinks turning in togrumpy old man OR someone with common values?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's a little known legal requirement in many European countries, to have a fridge full of cold beer.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
It's a little known legal requirement in many European countries, to have a fridge full of cold beer.

Only half full, the other half full of wine! well that works for me.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
B***** forgot to leave room for the cheese....... DOH!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Problem in France is Gendarmes hide behind trees etc that is how i got fined! There was no sign of them till i pulled out!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back