Legal requirements in France......advice please (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What a flipping palaver. We have all the above and the bloody kitchen sink. Never been stopped yet.....always a first time I guess. What needles me is that we jump through hoops yet the rules don’t seem to apply to locals. We had to wait for 40 minutes to get out of our campsite in France on Friday. A construction delivery truck was blocking the road, 5 minutes he said....bloody liar. We waited patiently watching all the health and safety rules that we follow in GB such as bollards around the rigger legs, hard hats, high vis jackets, clearly marked out working area and no toddlers running around the site whilst they were craning the delivery pallets.
NONE OF THE ABOVE HAPPENED !!!!!!! Don’t even mention the smoking whilst working. :mad::mad:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The other rule that is taken very seriously is NEVER cross a solid white line down the centre of the road. EVER. Even if you have to follow the tractor for kilometers, you mustn't overtake if that means crossing a solid line. La Loi de Murphy means there will be a Gendarme who sees this.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I couldn’t get my car repaired in France a few years back because I didn’t have the V5:rolleyes:

Luckily they eventually accepted an email of it.

What’s the point of such a stupid rule?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I know of at least two places near to where we lived in the UK that were used as easy 'process' by the local plod, convenient hiding places right next to 'stop' signs.

Possibly not done now as most unlikely to see a pedestrianised policeman:)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
spare spectacles if you use them

Hi Norman!

I'm afraid not.
There was a law which doesn't exist anymore only for people having lenses, which mentionned to have a pair of spectacles in case the lenses had to be removed (too much sun, drying, hurting...).
It's not the case anymore.
And if you wear spectacles then you don't need another pair.

Here is the answer of a lawyer on the matter

maître sophia albert Le 28-02-2013 à 21:46

( Barreau de AVIGNON )
Cher Monsieur,

L'arrêté du 4 octobre 1988 du ministre des transports et qui prévoyait qu'en cas de port de lentilles pour un trouble de la vue, le conducteur devait avoir sur lui une paire de lunettes a été abrogé.

L'arrêté ayant remplacé celui-ci ne prévoit plus cette obligation.
La possession de la paire de lunettes dans ce cas n'est devenue qu'une recommandation et plus une obligation.

Il faut contester.

Cordialement

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Illegal to have Sat-Nav warnings of Speed Cameras in France - can result in heavy fines. If you use one make sure it is up-to-date (and ,if necessary, disable the Speed Camera warning whilst in France). Tom-Tom updated their offering to warn of "Dangerous Road Section Ahead" and changed the warning tone so that it is not the same as that used for Speed Cameras (sorry....I should really call them "Safety Cameras"). The French think the change from a Speed Warning to a Dangerous Road Section Warning is perfectly acceptable and a good laugh!

Perfectly right !

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Norman!

I'm afraid not.
There was a law which doesn't exist anymore only for people having lenses, which mentionned to have a pair of spectacles in case the lenses had to be removed (too much sun, drying, hurting...).
It's not the case anymore.
And if you wear spectacles then you don't need another pair.

Here is the answer of a lawyer on the matter

maître sophia albert Le 28-02-2013 à 21:46

( Barreau de AVIGNON )
Cher Monsieur,

L'arrêté du 4 octobre 1988 du ministre des transports et qui prévoyait qu'en cas de port de lentilles pour un trouble de la vue, le conducteur devait avoir sur lui une paire de lunettes a été abrogé.

L'arrêté ayant remplacé celui-ci ne prévoit plus cette obligation.
La possession de la paire de lunettes dans ce cas n'est devenue qu'une recommandation et plus une obligation.

Il faut contester.

Cordialement
Thank you Frankie for clearing up this point for me. Over the past 9 years I have been travelling to France I have always made sure I have an extra pair of driving glasses with me, not just because it is no bad thing, but because I mistakenly thought it was the Law.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I couldn’t get my car repaired in France a few years back because I didn’t have the V5:rolleyes:

Luckily they eventually accepted an email of it.

What’s the point of such a stupid rule?
1. To prove you are the owner and it isn’t a stolen vehicle
2. To ensure they are fitting the correct part for your vehicle

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I don’t accept that. I am sure it’s the reason but it’s still a stupid one in my opinion.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I had my mh repaired in Portugal this year and they did not need my V5, I know that's not France but it is on mainland Europe. I think you maybe came across a jobsworth.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I had my mh repaired in Portugal this year and they did not need my V5, I know that's not France but it is on mainland Europe. I think you maybe came across a jobsworth.

In fact some do and some don't . For Max , I was asked my "carte grise" which is the official paper of the MH.
For the Skoda , I've asked , do you want my carte grise to find the part? No he said, I found it with your plate. So I guess internet changes every single day and offers more and more possibilities. Some use them, some don't.

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

Nope! On our last van we needed a new strut for overcab bed. Caravans Limousin demanded V5 even though i had old part with part No on it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Oh, are they not a legal requirement anymore? I just bought 2 .. :}

There is a law that says they are legal requirements but when it came to passing the law fixing a penalty it was never done, so even if one does not have one there are no consquences so I doubt whether the police are interested.

Geoff

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Podney

You queried the need for passports.

The reason they are needed is that in France and many countries one has to carry a valid ID document at all times. Most Continentals satisfy this requirement by carrying a National ID card, but UK does not have one, not even the voluntary scheme which was terminated.

So a passport is the only way to identify oneself. A bit impractical if one is in shorts and a T-shirt(or on a nudist beach). I suspect that in most cases if one were asked for ID a photocard Driving Licence would be accepted, but personally I would prefer to back that up with the offer of seeing my passport in the MH, but would not risk bullsh*ting about that.

So it is best to take the passports.

Geoff
Actually it was my attempt at sarcasm,which obviously failed miserably!! We always take passports. Thanks.

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well,thanks everyone!
So,the final list is as follows:

Bulb kit
Beam deflectors
High viz jackets
Original V5
Original MOT
Original driving license
Insurance docs
Original passports
First aid kit
Disable speed camera warning on Satnav

10 to remember.

Now Im going to make a list of other stuff needed e.g. leccie adaptors etc................Anybody like to start me off?

What makes you think I like a list?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

chrisandcarole

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Cullompton
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 120
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks everyone for you input as we are venturing over to France in June with the van for the first time,
so this makes for interesting reading.
Chris

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
And what ever you do @Podney dont Park next to one of these....:D2

44548E2A-82A8-4B5D-9DE3-28043364BED0.jpeg

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Have you thought about gas, electric, water, where to stay, how to pay?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well,thanks everyone!
So,the final list is as follows:

Bulb kit
Beam deflectors
High viz jackets
Original V5
Original MOT
Original driving license
Insurance docs
Original passports
First aid kit
Disable speed camera warning on Satnav

10 to remember.

Now Im going to make a list of other stuff needed e.g. leccie adaptors etc................Anybody like to start me off?

What makes you think I like a list?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Toilet paper, wine, beer and bottle opener :LOL:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Not sure of validity of this but I was advised a couple of years ago that now we don't have RFL disc on screen carrying a copy of receipt can save a lot of hassle . Additionally the paperwork issued at MOT time is now in affect a receipt not a certificate , don't know how this squares with the authorities .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Regardless of legal requirements I carry a spare pair of specs in all our vehicles. Once broke a pair at a paintballing and SWMBO had to come and get me.
In the MH several spare pairs with various tints as I am the only driver.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
As regards RFL, we don't have them for cars so gendarmes would probably not expect one.

For anyone unable to get repaired without a V5 you are required to have it with you, so why didn't you?

I carry spare specs because I might need them. I still have my breathalysers that are now many years out of date.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back