Who has windows near beds? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I have a window at either side of the over cab bed and the windows are complete with fly screen and paper type blind. (Dometic Sietz)
The only problem is that bedding can push against the blinds and cause damage.

Do any of you have a similar problem?
If so, what do you do to protect your blinds if your blind is where your mattress/bedding is?

I've ended up taking two wire mesh grills away with me to put in front of the blinds to protect them. Looks like a prison from the outside!

IMG_2605.JPG

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have small windows at the side of each of our single beds. Hymer provided sheets of ply (same grain pattern as the cupboards) that slip into the gap between the mattress and bed frame and sticks up about a foot above the mattress. Covers enough to make sure the bedding and my elbow does not do any damage to the blinds. Still leaves most of the window uncovered.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Our hymer comes with a board that fits in front of the window.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All three of our hymers have had the boards they have aways gone straight in the the loft. Do find it a bit anoying but never done any damage.
Another Funster posted his mod (can't remember who) he fitted a piece of perspex half way up the window attached by velcro I'm tempted to do the same.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Do it all the time to the side window blinds on my Hymer when using the drop down bed. I just straighten the blinds in the morning.

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
We pointed this out re our new Dethleffs as a design fault as blinds were quickly going to be 'mangled' (brilliant German design etc etc promised) .... Lowdhams gave us boards - that match our 'wood effect' as per Hymer on forecourt (!!!! yes, they did) - as we await them receiving bits from Germany to resolve - hopefully - other problem re window blind cassettes not actually fitting windows! (another thread)
As it is, we have subsequently designed another system involving a 'plank' of UPVC that was left over from the installation of a conservatory (soffit or fascia board maybe) ... it's just bendy enough . We cut the length fractionally less than the blind width (filed/sanded ends nice and smooth with a wee groove in even) to be 'bended' to allow to slide into the bottom part of the 'groove' where the blinds fit - inside the 'cassette -(so the board fills the space where the 'bottom part of the blind would be if it was pulled right down? yes?) ..
We just pull the blind(s) down to sit along the top - the board being deep enough to protect from, in this case pillows/heads/waving arms etc at the top end ... and size 12's at the bottom (my size 5's don't reach). You can push the board up to access the handles to open/close the window.(it's just like a solid bit of blind really). (van not to hand but could do picture next week if requested) The window is obviously always obscured for that bottom 6/7/8" - not a problem, you can still get full ventilation effect from the window. This arrangement is very neat - less bulky than the 'Hymer boards' we think ... which , with a bit of skill, may be re-incarnated as shelves for the 'cansees' and 'cupateas' to the side of the bed, and another 'container' on the side of the cupboard near the door ..... ever creative!

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
I will add - having seen last 2 rapidly posted posts - the quality of the blind in the new Dethleffs is less good than that of our old - '05' Hymer we had (but in that van the position of the windows relative to the bed did not create the same problem). Not going to last 12 years of being straightened every morning!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The rear transverse bed on my frankia is electric and can be raised and dropped to accommodate larger items in the garage, as a result when it's up because it has a built in frame round it the head and foot boards cover the side windows probably to prevent damage but I find it a pain as it's almost impossible then to close or open the blinds on those windows when the beds up. A few other vans I viewed had the drop in boards as others gave mentioned

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
All three of our hymers have had the boards they have aways gone straight in the the loft. Do find it a bit anoying but never done any damage.
Another Funster posted his mod (can't remember who) he fitted a piece of perspex half way up the window attached by velcro I'm tempted to do the same.

Thats a good idea (y)

Ill have to look into that as I was going to make something out of timber but perspex and velcro would be better and easier to do.
We have three windows for some bizarre reason and the blinds get pushed in by the pillows/quilt/big feet (mine)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My Burstner fixed bed has large rear window with same issue. It does my head in.. (literally). Been thinking of getting two long roll pillows to put at base of window but it won't solve pro blem completely.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Dethleffs Globus with a window at each end of the transverse bed, there is a bar fitted across the window but the pillows go under it. I am going to use a bit of bull nose upvc soffit to hang off the bars.

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
our new van is the Globebus T1. I will photo our UPVC insert but we are away at Dad's 100th B'day party without the van until Sunday. It was 'dead easy' to make, very lightweight, 'wipeable', and just slots in - defies the size 12's and the pillows! It works on a window where the blind comes down from the top, on the 'perspex pic' the blind seems to go up.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Here are a couple of images showing the 5mm polycarbonate that I fitted over the windows to protect the blinds.

Initially, I fixed them with velcro but found that not to be successful, particularly in warm weather. They kept falling off! Instead I have now used 3M Dual Lock, much, much better and very easy to remove and replace. You will need the 250 variety.

It seems I coc*ed up. The images are in the post below.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have made a complete set of window covers so that when we are parked at home in the sun, the light does not get in and degrade the cloth etc. They go on the windows and the blinds close to hold them there. I used some corrugated plastic sheet from the builders merchants and the stuck cheap windscreen covers to the cut plastic. The reflective ashiny material reflects the light and heat so the the inside stays cool . All the rear and side windows plus the roof light have these on , the front screen is not covered, north facing, but the side windows and door has the same reflective covers held by suckers.
The rear bed wood protectors are excellent for making matching shelves for the van as they are useless for keeping me off the windows as I sleep in the dropdown.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I tried Ludo's method but found it was a nuisance having to remove the perspex every time we wanted to open a window or put the blinds up/down so instead for the 2 rear door windows I've made internal screen pads (same type as you use internally for windscreens) which fit snugly inside the window framework, I made them slightly oversized so they stay put without any fixings, they can be removed quite easily if required and if I want the windows open a bit they stay on the window itself jammed between the 2 side handles so still provide privacy/shade - this means that we don't use the actual 'concertina' blinds but do sometimes use the flyscreen mesh if the window is open as this doesn't get damaged with the bedding etc.

For the window at the foot of the bed I have an 'over the bath' airer that I simply sit across it held in place with Velcro (except when it's hot ... must get some of that 3M stuff Ludo mentioned!). It was a temporary measure to prevent the blinds getting damaged by the bedding and so that our dogs didn't accidentally get pushed/fall out, but so far I haven't got round to altering it to make it a more suitable size!

Window bars/grid at end of bed

For our 2 side windows, next to the dinette and kitchen areas, although damaging the blinds wasn't an issue I wanted something that looked 'secure' due to having an attempted break-in in Pisa last year via one of the windows, and also so that we can have the windows open when lolling outside without having to worry about naughty arms reaching in for stuff, if we wanted we could also leave the windows open with the dogs inside to give them more ventilation if we had to nip somewhere on our own with no danger of them jumping out - I used some different driers this time though - pictures on this thread:

Globecar Modifications

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Oh dear, I can't believe all these German-designed vans that have the wrong windows in the wrong place. ;)

Our French Rapido heap seems to have perfectly designed bedside windows that you can easily see out of, but that don't get fouled by the bedding or the occupants. (y)

Sorry, couldn't resist stirring the pot - only jesting...

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have two windows .one at the side and one at the bottom of the bed. only the side one gets mangled I have a square quilted silver screen with suction pads left over from a old set of exterior screens which fit perfectly and will probably be warmer in winter than the fitted one .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
I dont sleep above the cab any more but in our old van i often was up there on my own. my daughters would not sleep up above so they were with my wife. i used to like it seen all sorts of sites in the night.from the over cab bed.only one of my girls comes away with us now and shes 15 and wont belong before its not the in thing.me and carol have the end lounge double bed to ourselves now.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Oh dear, I can't believe all these German-designed vans that have the wrong windows in the wrong place. ;)

Our French Rapido heap seems to have perfectly designed bedside windows that you can easily see out of, but that don't get fouled by the bedding or the occupants. (y)

Is it one of those French builders vans with no windows? :LOL:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Wish my Rapido was like that :rolleyes:

Still one little slip up I can live with as the rest of the Van design is so good (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back