Read only funsters (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I quite like to reply to the newbies in green, provided the question is not too technical or obscure, but when their status drops to read only I never reply, is that mean?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meanie.. :)

I have often wondered what the percentage is of newbies who do 5 posts and then either drop or subscribe,,
Have replied to a few recently and some seem to join straight away or disappear for ever..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Agree with what ScotJimland says, but must be honest I get really fed up sometimes when the men on the forum really go to town and take a lot of trouble to reply to queries from newbies ... and are not even acknowledged. I usually just go on and say welcome ... don't answer the query .. in the hope it makes them feel welcome enough to join.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't bother whether they are read only or not..

replying with good advice or help may just be the push that helps them decide to subscribe.. and it may also benefit others who read the thread

That's a good point Jim, I have on occasion put a motorhome related search into google, it is amazing how often MHF comes in the top three replies (y)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I was one of those who took a while to join. Not because of the tenner joining fee, but because I was very wary and inexperienced. I'm a bit of a commitment phobe too. Some people are 'shy', whilst others aren't initially the join-in type. Others aren't too au fait with the 'net and computers. OK, yes, there are a few that want it all for nothing, but any group has those.

I always answer the newbies, coz I was one myself. If someone hasn't done it already, I prompt them to join. Can't do any more than that. At least they will have had a welcome and know our site when they DO need answers (which ultimately they will and then will join up).

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Never look at the status just answer the question if I can, though I do think it's manners to acknowledge the time someone has gone to research a answer.
Me neither, till now. What is that little green triangle on the top left corner for please?

Ooops. some are blue.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I'm a little colour blind so have difficułty with blues and greens therefore will always welcome a newbie and give advice if I can as others did for me when I joined 18 months ago.
I soon realised it was a good place to hang out if you are willing to join in and I'm sure others will see the same.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Think you can switch it on and off if you want. (y)

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
the help you give to an other shows what a great band of funsters we are remember the fun is when we meet at a rally have a beer glass of wine more beer more wine so lets show our love for fellow m/h people lol ray

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I like to answer and say hello when I can, along with a gentle nudge to join up ! We were all newbies once, the welcomes I received and the offers of help made me decide to join up. Truly is a tenner well spent.
Takes nothing to say hello, and even less to say thanks.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I was one of those who took a while to join. Not because of the tenner joining fee, but because I was very wary and inexperienced. I'm a bit of a commitment phobe too. Some people are 'shy', whilst others aren't initially the join-in type. Others aren't too au fait with the 'net and computers. OK, yes, there are a few that want it all for nothing, but any group has those.
Hear hear.... Isnt the clue in the name "newbie"...
As an IT man, I was painfully aware of my lack of forum netiquette knowledge at the start, so watched every word I said on here so there was absolutely no inference of rudeness, but I also know that others arent quite so aware of their shortcomings...

Last edited:

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I quite like to reply to the newbies in green, provided the question is not too technical or obscure, but when their status drops to read only I never reply, is that mean?

I don't understand why you would answer in green, what on earth is that about?. The forum allows newbies to ask a question until they hit the PayPal barrier. Marking out your answer in a different colour is a bit well pathetic TBH.....

Just answer them I would say....it might add a member or two.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't understand why you would answer in green, what on earth is that about?. The forum allows newbies to ask a question until they hit the PayPal barrier. Marking out your answer in a different colour is a bit well pathetic TBH.....

Just answer them I would say....it might add a member or two.

He means when their status is shown in Green.. not that he uses green text ..

Green= Non subscriber
Blue = Subscriber
Black = Read only
Red = Banned

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
He means when their status is shown in Green.. not that he uses green text ..

Green= Non subscriber
Blue = Subscriber
Black = Read only
Red = Banned

Ahh right - apologies then David, I misunderstood.

(But I still don't see why the need to treat non subscribers differently as in choosing the type of question you respond to - as has been said its a way to encourage them to subscribe isn't it, even if the question is quite technical and sometimes newbies on forums do understandably ask quite obscure things.)

Elly May

Free Member
Feb 27, 2013
Woodchester, Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I joined for a year a couple of years back, then became read only for a year and have just recently joined again. Everybody has different things going on in their life and I feel that this site could be in danger of being seen as 'elitist' if members have the attitude of only replying to certain people, i.e paid up ones.
This is a great website and although I agree that manners cost nothing, I don't agree with this clique type attitude. Some people are very nervous about posting on forums and could be seriously put off if they read some of these comments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back