Garage on a PVC (1 Viewer)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
A couple of folks have pm'd me following my post in the "Bike Safety" thread about the make of the "rack" I use to carry the bike, rather than answer individually I thought I would share in case others are considering other options.

This our first MH and like most we spent a ridiculous amount of time weighing up options, as we all know its a compromise. We finally settled on a PVC as I need to carry sea kayaks on the roof and a PV gave me the most secure anchoring. The other dilemma was bikes, we had spent the last thirty years with them hanging off the back of the estate car when camping and felt limited as to where we could park even though they were secured with good locks, so a garage was another requirement.

With the kayaks there is a lot of other cr!p needed so the bikes couldn't fill the garage, there is also the wine allowance. So the quest was to fit two bikes in a limited space without putting the bed above at a level requiring oxygen tanks. Solution was to store bikes with front wheel (length) and saddle off (height) longways in the van under the fixed bed. New van was duly ordered from Moto-Trek (that's another story / thread) with the garage the right size to fit my biggest road bike that has an integrated seat post which poses problems for height - although I realised afterwards it would probably been easier to sell that and buy a new bike with a normal seat post - doh!

So last September took the new van to the Mossel for a couple of weeks holiday to test our new arrangement - no kayaks so the garage half empty.
A Crate Problem.jpg

The wood was to protect the floor and provide an anchor for the front fork holders, two of these Broken Link Removed
which are mounted at opposite ends of the board. (I got them off ebay for a £10). The bikes are mounted with the saddles and front wheels off, wheels in the wheel bag on left saddles and seat posts between the bikes.

All worked well with the above arrangement but it was a bit of a chew on having to unload other kit to get the bikes out. Solution was to fit bikes on a slide. I finally sourced some that could be mounted flat a DZ 9301 which only require a space of 19.1mm, can cope with a load of 44.5kg when flat mounted, they also have a 100% extension and come in various lengths I went for 1m at the ridiculous cost of £250. Not cheap but I intend to keep the van for 10 years plus in the scheme of things not too bad. Then it was just a case of a sheet of 4mm aluminium from a mate, and put the lot together. I chickend out here and as the van was going back to Moto-Trek for some (ahem) snagging issues I got them to do the drilling through the floor.

Results here:
slide and hooks.jpg
bikes on slide.jpg

And with the bikes, very happy with the results, it has survived contact and use in the real world and seems to work well.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looks fabulous.

Know what you mean about all the gear for kayaks..... we have a large suitcase full of the essentials and there is still stuff that doesn't fit. Mind using sit-ons does cut down on spray decks and the like.... you just need the custom made seats and knee braces instead!!!

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Great solution will have to see if I can replicate it - just need to get a van first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Very clever storage for your bikes.

All those hooks remind me of my kids nursery pegs, please may I ask what you use them all for?

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Very clever storage for your bikes.

All those hooks remind me of my kids nursery pegs, please may I ask what you use them all for?
Depends where we are going! For posh do's we have had black tie kit and posh frocks hung up on hangers, but normally its outdoor coats and the like. We found over New Year that with the one of the outlets from the Truma heater vented into the garage even after a downpour kit was dry in an hour - it turns it into one big drying room.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Clever use of space and a great 'safe' way to carry bikes.. (y)

do you have some internal photos ?

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Believe it or not i fitted all you can see here , awning two push bikes fishing gear odds & sods and a motorbike in my garage, if you look inside the van you would not even know it had one
IMAG1233_zpskeztlrwr.jpg

IMAG1238_zpsmz5r6hqb.jpg

T2eC16FHJHIFFhcc-1pFBSYPKYvTng60_12_zps7fe1228e.jpg
KGrHqVmEFJLwftozrBSYPKrfk-60_12_zps7168bfdb.jpg

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Really nice looking layout,

ahh you can't beat a bit of paddling comfort, 4 years on I have now perfected the art of packing for our annual Wye trip stopping overnight at the Hereford beer festival on the way past (y)
River Wye Exp 2010 010.jpg

Andy

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
what you really need is this:D

Possl Revoloution:

We did look at this type of set up but I couldn't see the advantage, if you stored large kit there you would have to unpack it every time you wanted a kip? Fine on a campsite with the awning out and everything unloaded, not so good for a spot of wildcamping. Looked like a solution in need of a problem but I am happy to hear an explanation as to how it is supposed to work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back