Zero mileage insurance? (1 Viewer)

May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
Does anyone do it? Renewal has just landed on the doormat but I can't see the point in insuring a vehicle I can't use (sorned it ages ago). Darn't even take it down the supermarket for a run for fear of being pelted with rocks, so I can't see us doing any mileage at all in the next 12 months. Currently insured through the C&CC but they won't give any discount for "no road risk".

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe read this thread and think again, plus can you afford the cost of replacing your van is it gets nicked with no insurance.

OP
OP
Bomber county wanderers
May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
If they want to pinch it they'll have to bring wheels and a battery, and remember to smile at the CCTV cameras while they are cutting they locks off the gates.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The subject of reducing mileage and/or laying up a MH (ie minimal road usage) has been the subject of at least one other thread recently and the outcome was that you won't save much, if anything at all. The no-road usage ones tend to be Fire and Theft which won't cover you for any damage, so a limited mileage one is the best way to go but do check exactly what it covers and what the cost would be to change it to a higher mileage should you wish to do so, ie an extra premium AND any admin fee for doing so.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It occurs to me that as and when the renewal comes up and if one doesn't change Insurers, there should be be a full and frank discussion on the subject of Mileage.

Because of the present crisis there will be the vast majority of us who, for obvious reasons have not done the mileages that we were expecting. In some circumstances that will amount to the majority of the distance as the Summer disappears with our 'vans parked up. That mileage forms part of the risk the Insurers take on.

In addition, it should be acknowledged that there must have been a reduction in claims arising from the 'vans non use etc.

The very least we should expect is an acknowledgement from the 'Other side' and a nod towards this by an automatic increase in mileage allowance without cost. After all, we've already paid for that mileage this year.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
LV offer insurance in blocks of 1000 miles starting at 1000 . I just knocked £50 off my already cheap car insurance by reducing 12000 to 6000

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Direct Line reduced my wifes car insurance by £37-00 ,it will be interesting to see what Comfort do with our van insurance at renewal .We haven't used it since February,definitely wont be using it for some time as the wife recieved the at risk letter.

OP
OP
Bomber county wanderers
May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
Camping club refused to budge on price so its currently uninsured. Done less than 1000 miles since september and zero miles this year. LV won't insure self builds, Flux won't offer decent cover without an engineers report (basically about £1000 on top of the value of base panel van) and won't cover fire if it starts in the habitation area. So here it will sit without any wheels for the foreseeable.......

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If they want to pinch it they'll have to bring wheels and a battery, and remember to smile at the CCTV cameras while they are cutting they locks off the gates.....
In that case accept the risk and don't insure. Taking out insurance is only gambling after all.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I reduced my mileage to 6000 as hopefully we will be able to use the van later in the year and a single trip is ofter 3500 miles for us. I can't see the point in SORNing it to save £13.75 I would rather be able to take it for a run occasionally to keep it in good order.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back