Your old £1 coins,Hurry Dig Em out while there is still time! (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Came down this morning to Find OH TinaL with a dustsheet spread over the floor sitting amongst piles of coins that she had emptied from our Two extra large Famous Grouse Bottles that have been filled with loose coinage out of our pockets for the last 10 years, maybe longer
She seemed spooked that "there are only a few days left" before the old pound coins that many of us have in trouser pockets, drawers, Jars and alike will no longer be acceptable in shops as they are being phased out.
So picture the scene as I scrap the glue out of my morning eyes, she has several baking bowls, and was chucking each coin denomination into them.
It reminded me a being a child and counting out my money box holiday monies,it was a World Cup Willy money box I seem to remember, so the decision taken was, that all the pound coins and silver would be bagged up and taken to the bank, and the two tonnes of copper can get chucked through the Coin star Machine, as those greedy buggers take 10%, and there was me naively thinking it went to charity when they first appeared in the supermarkets. Doh!
So she is chuffed having nearly done it, that she can top up our new Caxton Card for our future travels, which is nice :)
So if any of you are in the same position with loads of shrapnel in jars, now is the time to get rid!.
Look after the pennies my boy, so the pounds can be spent on the continent, or something like that;)

All the best
Les

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
A great Nephew and his wife decided they would empty their daughters(aged 4 1/2) Piggy Bank, take it to the bank and open a savings account for her.

Over £50! "Where did you get this money from?"

"From daddies trouser pockets when he is in the shower"

That girl will go far!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No rush as shops are still prepared to take in round ones as there is still a shortage of threepenny bit ones.Apparently. Changeover period too short I seem to remember reading yesterday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A great Nephew and his wife decided they would empty their daughters(aged 4 1/2) Piggy Bank, take it to the bank and open a savings account for her.

Over £50! "Where did you get this money from?"

"From daddies trouser pockets when he is in the shower"

That girl will go far!
Must have been from the same mould as my granddaughter......
Daddies pockets and from his 'loose change' bowl in his 'man den'

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Also .. check .. some are apparently worth more than a pound now.
That is so sad......about as much chance of finding one as a jackpot lotto win.
I have a mental image of old men acting like Ebenezer Scrooge counting his money.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
That is so sad......about as much chance of finding one as a jackpot lotto win.
I have a mental image of old men acting like Ebenezer Scrooge counting his money.

Well the guy who told me was a gorgeous young man who runs his own cafe ... and he makes it a hobby and a paying one.

He said he once found one (don't know if it was a pound or another coin) and got £5000 for it.

I'll get round to looking one day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back