Your motorhomes insurance and your no claims discount (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Evening all! Having found and paid a deposit on our dream motorhome at last, I rang LV about insurance. Hubby and I both have 9+ years of no claims discount but apparently this doesn’t count and the motorhome insurance will start with 0 years.

Just checking if this is standard? Thank you

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
No it’s not.

Lots of insurance companies mirror your ncb but you don’t build ncb on the Moho.

I’d try a different company or two 😊

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I believe you can only apply an NCB to one vehicle at a time.
Did you get quotes from other insurers, e.g. NFU and Comfort among several others if you look in the 'Insurance' forum.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Trailer tent for 10 years Motorhome since 2018
I think you can only claim NCD on one policy, however it may change if you do a multi vehicle policy. In my case I insured the Moho with my NCD and put my wife as a named driver and she insured the car with me as a named driver.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I found LV didn't have a clue - about anything. Go to a proper motorhome insurer like https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk

As said - they don't give no claims as such but decent companies will mirror your current no claims

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Been with SAGA for the last 3 years and had to claim for a new windscreen. I was quoted over a £1000 for renewal this year.

I contacted NFU and was quoted £342. Unfortunately, they do not do breakdown insurance. I took out a policy with Driver Guardian for £180.

I researched a number of insurance companies. Many were competitive but their windscreen cover was inadequate.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Go with safeguard and they will mirror any exsisting no claims you have on your car on to a motorhome policy . They also have many other benefits including breakdown Europe wide and unlimited glass coverage . Used to be unlimited mileage too but that's changed now sadly

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Evening all! Having found and paid a deposit on our dream motorhome at last, I rang LV about insurance. Hubby and I both have 9+ years of no claims discount but apparently this doesn’t count and the motorhome insurance will start with 0 years.

We’re you intending to transfer the NCD to the MoHo policy?

I’ve recently spoken to all the main insurers that have been mentioned in a search of threads on the forum, and some took a previous NCD into consideration and some didn’t. I don’t have a specific NCD to bring across but I’ve had 20+ years on our company fleet policy plus 9+ as a named driver on my wife’s. I mentioned this to all the companies and LV were far and away the most competitive quote with more or less equal benefits. I’m going with them next week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I had similar problems some time ago, my company would only give NCB from one policy, so I transfer my high NCB policy to the most expensive to insure vehicle and started a zero policy on the cheapest. Hope that helps? :giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
forestfern

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
We’re you intending to transfer the NCD to the MoHo policy?

I’ve recently spoken to all the main insurers that have been mentioned in a search of threads on the forum, and some took a previous NCD into consideration and some didn’t. I don’t have a specific NCD to bring across but I’ve had 20+ years on our company fleet policy plus 9+ as a named driver on my wife’s. I mentioned this to all the companies and LV were far and away the most competitive quote with more or less equal benefits. I’m going with them next week.
That’s interesting that they were most competitive. I’m with them on my car and made a claim last year and they were excellent. And very cheap.

She asked me if I wanted to transfer the NCD to the motorhome and I didn’t know what to say as I hadn’t even considered it or what it would mean.
So it’s basically best to transfer the NCD to whichever policy had the higher premium? Appreciate your advice 😊

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
I’m with LV and have been with them once they took over Frizzel, formerly through the Civil Service Motoring Association.
Had two cars on the policy, traded one car and put the Moho on the same policy.
I looked at some of those companies touted by the dealer, read the small print, underwritten by LV!
Go direct.
I found their telephone representatives very helpfu.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Sounds right to me as your no claims has been accrued and presumably being used on your car. I’m with LV but have built up more than 9 years no claims on motorhomes.

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
A motorhome has been my only vehicle insurance for decades now and has carried on my ncb from company to company as I have changed.
My race car was on a special policy and I am a named driver on another car but the only time I have had a problem was about 5 years ago when I had to prove my ncb, up until that point insurers just 'knew' I had ncb but apparently they dont talk to each other anymore 🤷‍♂️ getting proof of ncb from previous insurer was like blood from a stone and new insurer wanted reg number on it as well 🤦‍♂️

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
A motorhome has been my only vehicle insurance for decades now and has carried on my ncb from company to company as I have changed.
My race car was on a special policy and I am a named driver on another car but the only time I have had a problem was about 5 years ago when I had to prove my ncb, up until that point insurers just 'knew' I had ncb but apparently they dont talk to each other anymore 🤷‍♂️ getting proof of ncb from previous insurer was like blood from a stone and new insurer wanted reg number on it as well 🤦‍♂️
They do if it's going to cost you money but maybe not if it's going to save you some. :cry:

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

This is normal. You can't take the NCB from one policy still in use and double it up for separate policies. Some insurers might have some scheme that enables you to do this, but it isn't very common. It is particularly uncommon when the class of vehicle is different, i.e. a car and a large motorhome (or motorcycle etc).

In reality, NCB is a bit of a scam. It doesn't affect the premium as much as you expect. They take everything into account and come up with a premium. I doubt your 0% premium will be much different than if you turned up with a 60% discount. If they like your risk profile, they'll fiddle the base premium to their taste so that with your discount it comes to their risk calculated figure. They should probably just get rid of NCB altogether and go on your claims history.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
forestfern

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I’m with LV and have been with them once they took over Frizzel, formerly through the Civil Service Motoring Association.
Had two cars on the policy, traded one car and put the Moho on the same policy.
I looked at some of those companies touted by the dealer, read the small print, underwritten by LV!
Go direct.
I found their telephone representatives very helpfu.
She asked me if I wanted to put the motorhome on the same policy as my car

I hadn’t got a clue what she meant really. Is it a good thing to do this? Are there are implications?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
forestfern

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Sounds right to me as your no claims has been accrued and presumably being used on your car. I’m with LV but have built up more than 9 years no claims on motorhomes.
So is it best to just have the NCD on whichever policy has the more expensive premium?

She asked me if I wanted to add the motorhome to my existing car policy and I have to admit to not having a clue whether that was a good or bad idea so I said no lol

Is it a good idea do you know? What implications does it have?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
forestfern

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
This is normal. You can't take the NCB from one policy still in use and double it up for separate policies. Some insurers might have some scheme that enables you to do this, but it isn't very common. It is particularly uncommon when the class of vehicle is different, i.e. a car and a large motorhome (or motorcycle etc).

In reality, NCB is a bit of a scam. It doesn't affect the premium as much as you expect. They take everything into account and come up with a premium. I doubt your 0% premium will be much different than if you turned up with a 60% discount. If they like your risk profile, they'll fiddle the base premium to their taste so that with your discount it comes to their risk calculated figure. They should probably just get rid of NCB altogether and go on your claims history.
This is interesting! Thanks!
So we were going to put the motorhome and insurance in my name, since I do all the organising of policies/admin and hubby likes it that way, so for simplicity we were going to put it in my name. But I made a claim on my car policy last year (had an argument with a small post, nothing major just bad judgment and a tight turn on a stressful day, but still £2000 worth of damage). Hubby has no claims. So would it be better to have him as main policyholder instead of me? 🤔 Altho I’dstill be on the policy as an added driver

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
forestfern - adding the MH to your car insurance means that they will both renew on the same date unless you ask them to quote separately. Having more than insurance product with them will give you a 5% discount.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This is interesting! Thanks!
So we were going to put the motorhome and insurance in my name, since I do all the organising of policies/admin and hubby likes it that way, so for simplicity we were going to put it in my name. But I made a claim on my car policy last year (had an argument with a small post, nothing major just bad judgment and a tight turn on a stressful day, but still £2000 worth of damage). Hubby has no claims. So would it be better to have him as main policyholder instead of me? 🤔 Altho I’dstill be on the policy as an added driver

It could work either way price wise. You'll have to declare the claim either way.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
So is it best to just have the NCD on whichever policy has the more expensive premium?

She asked me if I wanted to add the motorhome to my existing car policy and I have to admit to not having a clue whether that was a good or bad idea so I said no lol

Is it a good idea do you know? What implications does it have?
Sounds like a good idea to add the motorhome to the car policy.
My car and van are insured with LV so may look at this in the future.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Your problem is that motorhome insurance can be quite specific (and definitely > 3.5t). Most car insurers either won't touch, or will be absurdly expensive. However, if they do offer a decent price, there's no reason not to accept. Do check the policy for length/height/weight/vehicle restrictions carefully.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
I found LV didn't have a clue - about anything. Go to a proper motorhome insurer like https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk

As said - they don't give no claims as such but decent companies will mirror your current no claims

When renewed car in with LV the price had reduced due to the new rules, so asked about MH and they have quoted half of what existing insurers wanted last year, so will swap when due next month.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun