York and Bristol CMC sites (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2017
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi, have just booked York for 3 nights next week ,to have a look round Christmas market. The prices go up next Friday for Christmas and New Year we leaving Friday morning.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, have just booked York for 3 nights next week ,to have a look round Christmas market. The prices go up next Friday for Christmas and New Year we leaving Friday morning.
You’ll love it, went a few weeks ago, the market was heaving to the point we left as couldn’t see anything. Should be better next week. There’s a fab porkpie shop along the rambles. If your fond of them well worth the money, about £5. The fish market, one at far end, does their own smoking and lovely fish, crab, etc. Expensive but very good. One of my favourite cities! Along with Bristol!

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Booked into Baltic wharf 5 January for a few nights
Go to food market, opposite the material stall is a kebab stall, best kebab ever, fresh made to order, including wrap, bestest ever, also Vietnmese restaurant Po something or other is excellent too. Sorry if teaching to suck eggs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Go to food market, opposite the material stall is a kebab stall, best kebab ever, fresh made to order, including wrap, bestest ever, also Vietnmese restaurant Po something or other is excellent too. Sorry if teaching to suck eggs.
Also head out of the main gate turn left.
Over the footbridge over the river.
Cross over the road and follow the street in until you come to the high street.
Find the Bristol beer company tap.
Get comfy and sample some really good ales.
Check out the john Lennon by the Aldi.
Enjoy it's a great city.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If by kebabs you mean schwarmas....... then I’m in!! Sincere thanks for the pointers; very much appreciated

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Also head out of the main gate turn left.
Over the footbridge over the river.
Cross over the road and follow the street in until you come to the high street.
Find the Bristol beer company tap.
Get comfy and sample some really good ales.
Check out the john Lennon by the Aldi.
Enjoy it's a great city.

Opposite side of the road from the beer factory is the Tobacco Warehouse Lovely farmers market on a Sunday morning :)

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Oh, might go to that Janine, thanks. Any other places to visit, folks in the know?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
In Bristol if you cross to the other side of the harbour and walk up the hill into Clifton Village, go to the Coronation Tap pub in Sion Place. Authentic local ciders, and last time I was there it had olde wolde atmosphere. It is rather unique.

The Mall (street) in Clifton Village is also worth visiting for its selection of boutiques for SWMBO to browse. It's touristy so there are eateries but I can't give recommendations because I haven't been recently enough. Plenty of Georgian architecture to admire, including Royal York Crescent. You are also near the Clifton Zoo to keep kids entertained, and the Downs which your dogs will love. You can walk across Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge. That's an experience in itself.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The nicest way to travel from Baltic Wharf CMC to the Centre is on one of the yellow Bristol Ferries.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Was looking at google maps to see which was the best stop to get off for the centre.
Go outback gate, then stay on till you get to the centre. Easy walk then into town. You get a reduction for showing your CMC card too.

The boat takes you by ss Great Britain, The M shed, Then goes left into town, I think you can then get a boat that takes you to the train station from the where it drops you off.. Whilst there earlier this year, there was a free bus from the stop outside of the site, front gate to left, that takes you into town. I’ll let you know if they are still offering the service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
@SpeedyDux , yes did that a few years ago, went up through the woods, met cows(irrational fear of them) I froze, hubby happily plodding along with the dogs had to come back for me. Ended up the top, went via the suspension bridge and came down through the village. A good nice round robin walk. But haven’t been up that way since!
@DuxDeluxe it is an easy walk or bike ride into town too. Lots to see on the way. Subject to mobility, I can bike ride till the cows come home but walking can prove A bit difficult these days. Accessible from the back gate along the harbour all the way. Out front and left but not much to see .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Go outback gate, then stay on till you get to the centre. Easy walk then into town. You get a reduction for showing your CMC card too.

The boat takes you by ss Great Britain, The M shed, Then goes left into town, I think you can then get a boat that takes you to the train station from the where it drops you off.. Whilst there earlier this year, there was a free bus from the stop outside of the site, front gate to left, that takes you into town. I’ll let you know if they are still offering the service.

@SpeedyDux , yes did that a few years ago, went up through the woods, met cows(irrational fear of them) I froze, hubby happily plodding along with the dogs had to come back for me. Ended up the top, went via the suspension bridge and came down through the village. A good nice round robin walk. But haven’t been up that way since!
@DuxDeluxe it is an easy walk or bike ride into town too. Lots to see on the way. Subject to mobility, I can bike ride till the cows come home but walking can prove A bit difficult these days. Accessible from the back gate along the harbour all the way. Out front and left but not much to see .

Many thanks for all that useful information. Not bothered about cows though; I was brought up on a farm:xsmile:

Edit: Found a map on the ferry website. Now all is clear

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Christmas in The Van!, Are we mad?:xdoh:
Just booked Baltic Wharf CMC for 4 nights over xmas, arrive 24th after 2PM, leave on the 28th, then up to Shrewsbury New Years Bash.
Thanks for all the tips of what to see and places to go,really looking forward to our first ever Xmas in the van, just scared of what we will forget to take with us this time.:rolleyes:
@Caggsie1 see you there, we managed to get a hardstanding pitch with no awning, so hopefully wont get too stuck if the weather gets worse.
TinaL & Les

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
In Bristol if you cross to the other side of the harbour and walk up the hill into Clifton Village, go to the Coronation Tap pub in Sion Place. Authentic local ciders, and last time I was there it had olde wolde atmosphere. It is rather unique.

Buggrit, just walked back down into town. Must go back and find that one!

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008

@Caggsie1 see you there, we managed to get a hardstanding pitch with no awning, so hopefully wont get too stuck if the weather gets worse.
TinaL & Les
TinaL, what ever you forget, the shops will be closed for one day, you’ll be able to buy it again. We’ve spent the last 4 years away. York, lakes and Bristol. We actually enjoy it. The kids are grown up and didn’t know who to go to, in-laws etc, so took that decision away. All pitches are hard standing, so no worries about getting bogged down. It’s the location that is sought after. So close to all the action but far enough away to not get bothered by it. York is fab, the lakes tended to close down, so first time for Christmas at Bristol, but will usually go twice a year, Baltic wharf and THS for the balloon festival.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Buggrit, just walked back down into town. Must go back and find that one!
Janine - I can’t believe the number of times you’ve visited Brizzle and have missed The Coronation Tap!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We used to go to the Coronation Tap every Saturday to sample the cider. The last time we went our eagle eyed friend found £300 poking out of the toilet cistern .... that was over 30 years ago - must have been a big ‘transaction’ - I think the pub’s cleaned up its act since then ....

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just booked Baltic Wharf CMC for 4 nights over xmas, arrive 24th after 2PM, leave on the 28th, then up to Shrewsbury New Years Bash.
Thanks for all the tips of what to see and places to go,really looking forward to our first ever Xmas in the van, just scared of what we will forget to take with us this time.:rolleyes:
TinaL & Les
We are on a CL in Evesham for the holidays. Basic but close to town. Away again on 5th at Baltic Wharf for a few days and then down to Bridport to find some old fossils. Resisting the temptation to look in a mirror when there.....

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Looking on Google maps for a route in from M4 to Baltic Wharf, Via M32, seems that there must be some route changes maybe one way streets, but its taking us over the river and back along the Jessop underpass, then right onto Brunel Way, then Right turn and back over river on Avon Crescent, into Cumberland Way where the site entrance is. Would have been a lot easier if I could have crossed the river earlier and turned into Cumberland Way so I guess they must have changed it to one way? Am I right?
Looks like its going to be one of those journeys where you end up going around in circles not much fun in town,loads of left & rights hope its a lot easier on the day.
Les

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back