X250 3.0 ltr - Labored Starting? (1 Viewer)

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Noob to MHs. Caravaned a lot.
Hi All,

My X250 with a 3.0ltr engine just seems a little bit labored when starting - almost like its a struggle although it starts quickly. Here's a couple of videos:

From the Engine Bay

From the Cab

Any thoughts?

The Cab battery looks to be showing good charge. Not sure if the starter motor is struggling or its a trait of the 3.0ltr engine?

TIA...

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Notice all your dash lights flashing till she starts running has it always done that? As I remember on one of our vans when they flashed like that the battery was going flat and eventually packed up.?

OP
OP
7Hvn

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Notice all your dash lights flashing till she starts running has it always done that? As I remember on one of our vans when they flashed like that the battery was going flat and eventually packed up.?
Its just the IPhone video which shows them flashing - they don't actually to the naked eye. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Has its behavior changed? In other words, is it now turning it over more slowly than it used to? It doesn't exactly spin the engine fast even when everything is correct so if the vehicle is new to you it may be fine.

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
My brother has a 2007 x250 3.0 and after a few months of starting issues ie turning over and not starting, no error codes. We replaced the relay under the bonnet that supplies 12v to the lift pump in the tank and the problem went away. However. The reason for the relay failing was scuttlegate and we had the take apart and clean the corroded fuse/relay board to remedy the high resistances/corrosion causing the little relay to over heat and repeatedly fail. However your problem may not be that. Best of luck.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Couple a colder battery with colder thicker oil than mid summer & hey presto.
Doesn't sound like a problem to me.

OP
OP
7Hvn

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Couple a colder battery with colder thicker oil than mid summer & hey presto.
Doesn't sound like a problem to me.

I've had it for a few months. Its always been the same. I do agree though its almost similar to an engine with cold oil in winter.

I'll leave be at the minute and see how it goes. Just wanted some other input.

Thanks All!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Sounds fine to me, but, looking at the dash readout for the oil level, it looks like your engine has no oil in it

OP
OP
7Hvn

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Sounds fine to me, but, looking at the dash readout for the oil level, it looks like your engine has no oil in it
PANICS !! Its been like that since I collected the vehicle. On doing some hurried research it looks like it is a count of the shapes as opposed to a circle vs a blob comparison on the ducato of this age (2009) if that makes sense.

@Others - can people comment?? Rightly or wrongly I have read my reading as 5/5 full.

The engine earth strap is prone to failing on the Sevel vans so I'd check that too.
Thanks - Can you point me in the right direction as to its location on the 3.0ltr unit?

Cheers,

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
My 3ltr x250 developed a similar problem, eventually traced it to the alarm system. Did the 'undo everything and put back' and it solved it. Never did work out the cause.

OP
OP
7Hvn

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
My 3ltr x250 developed a similar problem, eventually traced it to the alarm system. Did the 'undo everything and put back' and it solved it. Never did work out the cause.
Interesting - it does have a Cobra Alarm and Immobiliser... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
7Hvn

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
PANICS !! Its been like that since I collected the vehicle. On doing some hurried research it looks like it is a count of the shapes as opposed to a circle vs a blob comparison on the ducato of this age (2009) if that makes sense.

@Others - can people comment?? Rightly or wrongly I have read my reading as 5/5 full.
Checked the handbook - It means 5/5 as I thought. Fewwwww. Attached for info for others :cool:

Attachments

• X250_Oil_Levels.png
    X250_Oil_Levels.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a sluggish start can be a number of issues. a frequent one is high resistance on the engine earth strap. can be ruled out using a jump lead from the battery negative post to the engine block. if the jump lead improves it, replace the earth strap

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Interesting - it does have a Cobra Alarm and Immobiliser... :rolleyes:

And it was a cobra alarm on mine. Do you press the fob then turn the key? If so, a quick check is to try starting the engine without pressing the fob, then press the fob and try again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
7Hvn

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
a sluggish start can be a number of issues. a frequent one is high resistance on the engine earth strap. can be ruled out using a jump lead from the battery negative post to the engine block. if the jump lead improves it, replace the earth strap

Thanks! Now where did I put those jump leads.... :unsure:
Where is the earth strap for visual inspection do you know?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Where is the earth strap for visual inspection do you know?
Somebody said on another forum "you can get to it without removing the air filter" so it's near the air filter ??. I'm going to check mine when I get back, but mine's a different engine anyway.

R 90

Free Member
Sep 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The 3 litre appears to be a slower cranking engine, ours is the same as your video,
the engine earth is on top of the gearbox near the selector cables, if you want to check,
Its worth having the battery tested, as voltage is only state of charge,
Provided it fires up quickly i wouldn't worry,
Charles,

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My son was complaining that his Combo van would only start if you put it in first gear. A quick look underneath showed the earthing lug to the starter motor had fractured in half, putting it in first made the gear linkage push the terminal into the starter's body and made the circuit ! You can see the little scorch mark just behind the lug. :LOL:
20190905_142442.jpg

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Easiest way to test the earth between engine and chassis is.......connect a jump lead between the engine lifting point and negative terminal of the starter battery. Since the starter battery is in the floor of the cab, you'll probably need to connect two jump leads together.

Then start the engine and see if there's any improvement.

Good idea anyway to add a supplement earth connection. I bought a 60cm long battery cable from Halfords and connected it between the engine lifting point and convenient chassis point in the engine compartment.

OP
OP
7Hvn

7Hvn

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
So a few updates... (Thanks all for your input up to now)

Seems to be getting a bit more sluggish to start and had a couple of failed starts where it has not quite started recently. Clearly its colder and thus the oil more viscous but its not *that* cold.

I took the battery out and put it on the Ctek charger over night and that indicated it seems to be well. It was about 12.8v when I took it out and just over 13v when I installed it.

One thing I should note is that I always leave my dipped beam on so that they are on when I drive. This means they are on when I start the motorhome and could have been drawing a bit more juice than necessary? Thoughts? Need to trial without the headlights on for a few starts.

Earth strap looks good and I put the multi meter between the jump start points under the bonnet with the engine running and it was showing 14.14v which I *think* indicates that the alternator is a-ok. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I picked up an OBD reader from Aldi yesterday and thought I'd run the DTC codes: It came up with P0180 which is apparently 'Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit Malfunction'. Could this be the source of my woes??

Thanks Again...

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Try turning your lights off then see if it improver.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You could measure the voltage drop across the earth strap while cranking, select 'Peak hold' on the meter if it has one.

I've got a little Bluetooth monitor on the car engine, which is very handy. measures voltages including cranking voltage...

Screenshot_20191007-140251_Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20191007-140359_Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20191007-140416_Battery Monitor.jpg

Was only about 25 quid ??

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Might be worth cleaning up the electrical connections to the starter motor. When under cranking (drawing lots of amps), some of this energy may possibly be tracking to earth.

As you are aware, the starter motor is at the front of the engine and exposed to the elements, with the potential of collecting dirt and grime.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Earth strap looks good

It is my understanding that the problem with the Ducato earth straps is that the braid corrodes inside the flattened ‘end cap’. So it could still look OK, but be poor electrically.

You can eliminate it as a cause by fitting an additional strap (or even use a jump lead temporarily) in a more accessible location.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back