Free Member
Feb 28, 2018
Currently Cape Town but relocating to UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Bessacar Highline
Exp
No longer a virgin but still a (nervous-ish) Newbie
Please forgive my naivety but can anyone out there recommend a suitable glue or solvent that will sort out some of the wood-effect veneer that is peeling away from the MDF panels underneath? I suspect the damage has been caused by steam or condensation and I am hopeful that if I warm the errant bits first with a hairdryer (to prevent bits breaking off) that I can stick them back as good as new.
Ideas or suggestions? Many thanks.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Depends on what pressure if any, you can apply to the finished job, if none it has to be a contact adhesive like your Bosticks etc clean up opertunity virtually zero so work clean.

If panels can be removed and worked on flat and weight can be added till set
your bog standard PVA wood glue is all you will need and be cleaned with damp cloth and dries clear

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If the veneer is coming off through damp or condensation, you may find the mdf underneath is still damp and will need drying and sealing first.
When that’s done, I would suggest something like Gorilla Glue and try to clamp the veneer in place till it sets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I bought some gorilla super glue gel the other month and it's fantastic stuff, not failed to bond anything yet and you don't have to hold it long before it's got it.

Totally different to the useless pound shop super glue I've tried in the past.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
applying some mastic tape across the edge in various places should work ok in holding until the adhesive has gone off

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Gorilla glue is wonderful stuff. I have actually stuck a concrete bird bath together with it. It's not easy to make a neat repair on something small with it though as it expands quite a lot as it sets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
There are many different types of Gorilla glue. So if going that direction make sure you get the correct one.

One of them is a PU glue which expands making a gap filling foam, I wouldn’t recommend that one for your job.

A photo of the area would help,

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have used this with great success in the past and kitchen fitters use it for laminates.

https://trade.evo-stik.co.uk/product/528-instant-contact-adhesive

You might find its a bit big but it lasts for years. You put a smear on the both sides to be glued, let it dry then press together for instant grab. You can roll it with a wallpaper joint roller to flatten it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back