Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
My van is in storage and my question is - how often do peeps take their vehicles out for a run ? I know we shouldn't just run the engine so I went for a run a few weeks ago and was wondering how often I should do this - my thought was once a month for an hour or so [40-50 miles]

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I do think it helps to go for a run.

We own a few vehicles and there are always a couple SORNā€™ed.

One year, the moho had been stood for a while. I took for the MOT and there was an advisory about brakes being just on the limit of stopping power (canā€™t remember the exact term used).

We used it for a summer trip. Then every Over month, if we didnā€™t use it. I would tax it and day trip it to the Peak District. Uphill, down dale. Passed the MOT the following year !. Same garage, same tester.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I try for once a month at least but don't bother if the roads are manky
Connect up the EHU every couple of weeks for 48 hr if the vans not been out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
CITROEN LA TRADA
Exp
Since 2015
If you have washed the camper on the brakesystem and suspension, and it is stored inside it should not be necessary. The engine does no damage of not running, only the oil takes a tiny bit of damage, but you suppose to change that every year anyway. And ofcourse the battery, but they should be charged with a proper charger. A trip around the block wouldnt do much

Upvote 0

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
My only concern with winter runs is the salt on the roads. Iā€™m going to get the MH wax oiled as a safeguard.

d

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
My only concern with winter runs is the salt on the roads. Iā€™m going to get the MH wax oiled as a safeguard.

d
Get it done in the summer when it's been bone dry for a week , there's better stuff than wax oil these days
Dinatrol , bilt hamber, plenty of others to choose from , ducato etc chassis is galvanised so shouldn't be a problem , it's transits and sprinters that rot

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I fully support waxoyling for any vehicle being used in areas where salt is used on the roads----- my past experience has proved beyond doubt that it is very worthwhile
Another option would be to use you motorhome only in Portugal during the winter šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š
But of course we can't all live here šŸ˜€
We have just bought a 1991fiat based motorhome and underneath is really like new!!---' it was bought new in Portugal and I guess never spent any time out of Portugal in the winter!!

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We took the decision last month to SORN the van. Last winter we gave it a run every 3 or 4 weeks to keep things working then just as we were going to start using it we had the first lock down. Being in Wales we couldn't travel further than 5 miles from home. Twice I had to jump start the van as the battery had got a bit low and on both those occasions we got stopped by plod 3 miles from home.
We decided on fitting a Battery Master and plug in the EHU every 3 or 4 weeks to top up both batteries. We've got the van sitting on the self-levellers to keep the bulk of the weight off the tyres and the handbrake off so that it doesn't seize.
It looks like another major lockdown for us so taking it anywhere is out of the question and it will do less harm going nowhere than going on a short run.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We SORNed ours; seems no sense when we can't go anywhere having it taxed. We'll just retax it when we're allowed to travel and stay overnight somewhere.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Fiat chassis is painted steel....
Alko chassis is bare galvanised steel.
From what I read post 2006 fiat,Peugeot and Citroen were galvanised under the paint , Iā€™ve got a 2011 Ducato pickup which has no rust on the chassis , Iā€™ve also owned a 2011 transit that looked like itā€™d been in the sea so theyā€™ve definitely done something to aid rustproofing

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I feel there may be a few too many "Do as I say" replies on here.
Mine hasn't moved for months and it seems that I have no opportunity to do so for many more. Dealers might move theirs a few yards, but certainly don't take them out for a run. If not doing so caused problems, I think they'd do differently. I also know people who've purchased previous year models (that have sat on a forecourt for the season) but not reported any problems as a result.
I wish I could have taken mine out more this year but won't lose any sleep over not doing so. Still taxed, insured, serviced and subs paid in the hope that things will change before too long...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back