Windscreen washers have poor delivery, how do I increase flow? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We have a rather elderly year 2000 Autosleeper Executive & while I really like the rear motorhome part of the vehicle, the base vehicle a Peugeot Boxer 2.5 turbo diesel leaves me cold. It seems comes over like a British Leyland vehicle of the 70s or in other words its built to a "that'll do" standard.
The latest problem is that the windscreen washes have a rather poor delivery, its has the flow rate of an elderly man with prostate trouble. I was going back through the vehicles MOT history & noticed that this had been a problem in the past. Now can anyone tell me how to improve this flow rate? The current flow barely reaches the screen.

I'll be very grateful for some helpful advice.
Robert.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well the obvious first thing , it fact so obvious I hesitate to mention it, but they aren't blocked are they.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I don't know the specifics of your Boxer but there is a generic problem for screen washers. A build-up of black gunge can block the filter located at the base of the washer bottle or tank. Cleaning the gunge out improves the flow rate considerably.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, if the jets are not blocked, remove tube from jets and run into a container to check if there is gunk etc in the liquid and tank. The inlet to pump could be partially blocked. Flush out tank, if not successful there are lots of option on flea bay from a complete system to pump replacement. Hope this helps!

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
On my car i had poor washers. Changed the non return valves and all back to normal. Must admit i was surprised how much pressure is required to open the new valves, could not blow through them. But do agree check for blockages in jets and pipes first.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They wouldn't work right on Julie's car and found blowing down the pipes backwards cleared a lot of soap out that was forming bubbles and air locking it, she uses far less additive now and they are fine.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Well the obvious first thing , it fact so obvious I hesitate to mention it, but they aren't blocked are they.

I like your thinking as it wouldn't be the first time I've missed the obvious lol, but no they're clear thanks.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Hi, if the jets are not blocked, remove tube from jets and run into a container to check if there is gunk etc in the liquid and tank. The inlet to pump could be partially blocked. Flush out tank, if not successful there are lots of option on flea bay from a complete system to pump replacement. Hope this helps!

OK thanks I'll try checking further back in the system to see if there is any crud in the pipes. The system on these vehicles just seems so badly made. I've never had problems like this in 40yrs of driving, I'd popped the posting on hoping that there was some kinda upgrade lol. We live n learn :D2:D:whistle:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
at the age of your van it is not uncommon for the feed tubes to start to break down and go sticky. pull the pipe off at the jets and check the flow rate. if bad pull off at the pump and check flow. where you get good flow, you know the fault is after this point
I have had to re-tube several older vehicles over the years and the difference is remarkable

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
at the age of your van it is not uncommon for the feed tubes to start to break down and go sticky. pull the pipe off at the jets and check the flow rate. if bad pull off at the pump and check flow. where you get good flow, you know the fault is after this point
I have had to re-tube several older vehicles over the years and the difference is remarkable

I'm liking your thinking @TheBig1 you might just have hit the nail on the head. The Sprinter we have just about blows the windscreen in when the washer button is hit, this system kinda took me by surprise, but I'm nothing if not willing to learn. Many thanks folks.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Scrap yard get another pump Fiat Peugeot renolt all the Sam vans just distant names think that will fix the problem
Put a Calvin solution through
To decal the system or sum malt vinegar over night but don't let it get any whare near the body work then flush with lots of fresh water
I would start with the pump first Fiver at the scrap yard or just stick it in your pocket
There only push in and held in with rubber grommet

Bill

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a rather elderly year 2000 Autosleeper Executive & while I really like the rear motorhome part of the vehicle, the base vehicle a Peugeot Boxer 2.5 turbo diesel leaves me cold. It seems comes over like a British Leyland vehicle of the 70s or in other words its built to a "that'll do" standard.

No Leyland vehicle of that era would have survived for 17 years. Failing screenwashers is simply a service item :).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Main problem is cheap poor quality washer fluid which eventually forms a black gloopy gel in the reservoir and clogs the filter.
Next mistake is being tight fisted and using washing up liquid in the tank with the same end result.
Washer pipe is cheap enough so maybe replace the old hardened and brittle hoses with new ones.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Main problem is cheap poor quality washer fluid which eventually forms a black gloopy gel in the reservoir and clogs the filter.
Next mistake is being tight fisted and using washing up liquid in the tank with the same end result.
Washer pipe is cheap enough so maybe replace the old hardened and brittle hoses with new ones.

The trouble is that even though the vehicle has a full & comprehensive service history I have no idea what previous owners have used in the screen washer bottle. I only ever use good quality washer fluid, but I'm going to drain it down & clear the bottle out, new pipes & possibly new washer jets. I'll cast an eye over the pump itself, I suspect that its crap quality. I bought this vehicle as a wee project & knew that it'd need work, but its been a proper pain. The motorhome bit of it is pretty good, but if I'm being honest I hate the bloody stupid poor quality base vehicle. We still have our Sprinter & despite that being half as big again as the Peugeot there is no contest on the quality, the Sprinter drives like a car & just never goes wrong, three years constant use & the thing just drives perfectly. Maybe I'll need to dig deep & buy a motorhome on a Sprinter chassis lol. Anyway I really do need to get the pressure up on the Pug, I could sweat faster than the jets work.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My mum's car was bought from an old man - I guess that neither she or he would have filled up the windscreen water but would have relied on it being done when they took it to their garages. The flow rate to the windscreen was terrible when I drove it so I investigated and found a load of clear slime in around the outlet filter of the washer bottle. I drained the tank & refilled it but with plain water to run through the pipes until all the pressure picked up to an acceptable level & then added screen wash. It worked well after that.

I'm not aware of what the slime consisted of unless it was the product of some reaction between screen wash solutions or that it was the accumulation of years of wash being added and separating into detergent, water and antifreeze while the vehicle was motionless.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Just a quick note to say I had the same issue on y recently acquired 2004 Stargazer. Having read the tips here I went from no flow at all to having to adjust the jets so they weren't hitting the roof!

Thank you ... and now, as I guess you can tell, signed up for the Forum.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Just a quick note to say I had the same issue on y recently acquired 2004 Stargazer. Having read the tips here I went from no flow at all to having to adjust the jets so they weren't hitting the roof!

Thank you ... and now, as I guess you can tell, signed up for the Forum.
:hi2: :welcome4:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just fixed mine - same problem 2001 Ducato

Renewed tubing but it was the non return valves that were the cause - tubing and valves about £8 off ebay

(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just replaced the jets, pipe and non return valve on mine. Cost just under £10 and took me 20 minutes. Really strong powerful jets now. Lovely.

Ebay is your friend for the parts.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The latest problem is that the windscreen washes have a rather poor delivery, its has the flow rate of an elderly man with prostate trouble. I was going back through the vehicles MOT history & noticed that this had been a problem in the past. Now can anyone tell me how to improve this flow rate? The current flow barely reaches the screen.

I'll be very grateful for some helpful advice.
Robert.
Endoscopy then a really painful slice and dice to see if it needs removing, tubes and all for a full replacement 😝

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
My three jets went to two sprays, then went to one dribble, and finally nothing.

Six small tye-wraps reattached or secured both ends of the hoses. Now I can where I am going :)

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When I was working on buses we inherited a fleet of old Leland Tigers and Olympians. The washers were a joke. The pressure was so low it wouldn’t reach the screen on a windy day.
We found the pipes were squishy and nearly blocked. In the past some one had put neat screen wash in the tanks. New pipes from the pump to the jets, not an easy job, restored the washers.
The washers on one of my Landrovers were modified and fitted on the arms next to the blades. It certainly put plenty of water on the screen but the pipes split were they flexed regularly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back