Windscreen cover (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As we were heading to the South of France we wanted a cover for the windscreen to keep the sun and heat out. We have the internal stick on ones but wanted something external mounted. Looking around shops and t'internet we could find lots of padded, insulating screen covers at fairly steep prices and they had a weight and bulk disadvantage.

So we bought some of the silver foil backed with about 3mm of polystrene from ebay, cost about £7, cut it to size and shape and Mrs Geordies put an edging round it and we used three strips of elastic to secure it to the screen. To test that it would not melt onto the screen in high temps I put a heat gun to it (off the screen) and it went to 200c without transfering heat or failing !

It worked perfectly !! Very light to carry and rolls up a treat. Even made little sleeves for the wipers with the excess. Total cost about £12.

Screen.JPG

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi Geordies,
Great idea & they look good.

Could you post the eBay link please, I want to do something similar.

Many thanks

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
It turns we bought it from Amazon;

Amazon product ASIN B003U9UPRG
Mrs Geordie used offcuts of a nylon material to edge the stuff using a sewing machine. It's a bit of a fiddley job but doable. Mind the silver material can rip if you put too much force on it near the edges until it is well edged ! As the Transit has a slightly recessed windscreen on the left and right edges we sewed in a length of 1/2 flexible rubber hose down each of these edges. (Think bunsen burner rubber hose from school), this meant that the elastic did actually sit on the edges of the cover. The elastic is just 1" wide standard material. It goes into the cab on the top and middle and connects to little hooks which I fixed onto the cover on the inside of the windscreen uprights. The bottom elastic fixes to the wing mirrors. The cover was subjected to some fairly high winds and never budged.

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Hi Geordies, thanks for posting this very useful tip.
Have ordered one today for our motorhome.

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks Geodies i am ordering one this very minute

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
I've been searching for ages for a thinner screen for our Ducato, mostly for heat protection, but also for the dark as our Remis blinds don't close over the mirror we had to have for the rear view camera screen. We have a Minster polar screen for the winter, which is great and we can store it where the outdoor chairs and the barbecue go. In the summer, there's no room for it as it's huge.
So thanks for the tip, I've ordered one and will break out the sewing machine!

Nedge68

Free Member
Feb 28, 2022
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Our Chausson was supplied with a lightweight external thermal screen made by HTD
449300174 Volet Ext. Transit

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Our Chausson was supplied with a lightweight external thermal screen made by HTD
449300174 Volet Ext. Transit
Good aren't they👍 only issue I found was that the elastic straps were slightly short for the Chausson installed Remis door blinds. Quickly sorted by extending with an elastic hair bobble.

Nedge68

Free Member
Feb 28, 2022
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
I think you could have a business here Sandancer Sunscreens! The HTD ones are about 80-100 Euro, ours is a single piece that makes it awkward to fold up to get it back in the bag, but it is very compact and light.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back