Windows -v- Apple (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Windows -v- Apple. I think it is fair to say that I am reasonably skilled with Windows. I currently use Windows 10 and run mostly Microsoft software on my laptops. However, I need a new laptop and I have have been thinking of moving over to Apple. I am pretty sure that one particular MS program that I must keep using will not run under Apple but I can find a work around.

If I buy a new windows machine I will also need a MS Office set of software. Is it the same if I buy an Apple, i.e. will I need a raft of Apple software to cover word processing, spread sheets, etc, etc, or does the Apple machine come fully loaded?

Any help and advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Roger

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've got a MacBook Air and it came loaded with Pages (word processing) and Numbers (spreadsheets). Both work OK, they aren't however compatible with Windows apps.

I also bought a cheap Windows machine as I have a couple of things that only work on Windows unfortunately so bought a refurbished Dell for less than Ā£100 which does the job I need it for.

Denise

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Then there is Linux, probably the best OS if you can get your head around it.
Or a Chromebook...

Not sure why you want to move into Apple's walled garden?
Is it just you're happy to pay over the odds for some pretty hardware?

What's the MS program... do MS make compatible versions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Denise,

Will the pages and numbers programs load and allow you to edit existing MS Word and Excel documents?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
No the programmes aren't compatible. You would need to recreate them. Personally I wish I'd stuck with Windows. It took me a while to get to grips with the MacBook but obviously it gets easier over time.

Denise

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
After a working lifetime with Windows, I have moved to Apple in my retirement. As mentioned above, Pages and Numbers come as part of the Apple operating system and I have found them easy to use at a simple level. They also can access every Word and Excel file that I have accumulated from my Windows days. However, I did also buy a Microsoft Office package for my Mac just so I didn't have to learn the details of the new softwares. Integration of the Mac with my iPhone and other family Apple stuff is a major benefit for me. Good luck!

Ian.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If you go with a Windows machine then you can use Open Office. It is free and is compatible with Word & Excel file formats. https://www.openoffice.org/
Another vote for OpenOffice ... been using it for years now on Windows but more recently on a Chromebook, does everything I need it to do !!

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Or a Chromebook...

The only reasons I'm thinking about Apple is that many people seem to swear by them and I thought I would find out more, also I don't like the idea of MS 365. I prefer to own my own software, I currently have Office 2010 and there seems to be no option but to go to 365 if I want to upgrade. The program I must keep going is the very last UK version of MS Money for which I have not been able to find a competent replacement.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The only reasons I'm thinking about Apple is that many people seem to swear by them and I thought I would find out more, also I don't like the idea of MS 365. I prefer to own my own software, I currently have Office 2010 and there seems to be no option but to go to 365 if I want to upgrade. The program I must keep going is the very last UK version of MS Money for which I have not been able to find a competent replacement.
Similar reason for me to get the cheap Windows machine - I use YNAB Classic which I used to run on the MacBook but then the operating system was updated and it changed to 64 bit from 32 bit which YNAB runs on. I certainly don't want to upgrade to the new YNAB which costs about Ā£7 per month and runs on the web. Feels safer having it on the laptop.

Denise

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had an Apple pc some years ago and after a lifetime using windows, I never fully understood the operating system, I have since replaced it with a Windows PC and prefer that.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
If you do want to keep MS Office then check out eBay. I picked up a Office 2019 Pro licence key, and it is a genuine unused one, a few months ago for around Ā£10. Just had a quick look on eBay and there a few sellers with keys available for less then Ā£10. The one I purchased from was a listed MS Reseller so they wouldn't risk their reseller registration if it was an invalid product.
Not sure what went wrong there, the above was what I was trying to post but it decided it was going to become a quote instead

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
I love the simplicity that my iMac gives me e.g. when I turn on a new wireless printer the Mac asks me if I want to set it up (unprompted) and it does everything... I bought the Mac with MS Office as part of the package so I've never tried the Apple specific programmes mentioned... I get that you can buy a very well specced Windows based laptop for the same or maybe less than the price of a Macbook but there is something in the fact that they just work that would swing it for me

The late 2011 iMac I use has been excellent... When I have to replace it it will be a tough decision but I know one thing, the wife would always choose Windows.. it's what we were used to and she doesn't like learning new PC skills

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I've never understood why anyone would want to dump a tried and tested computer with a fully supported operating system in favour of a much more expensive one within which the manufacturer builds in planned obsolescence to boost profits!
John
'Has been' expert...

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Windows -v- Apple.
snip

If I buy a new windows machine I will also need a MS Office set of software. Is it the same if I buy an Apple,

Cheers

Roger

Why will you need new Office software for Windows. I run MS Office 2003 on Windows 10 Home. I am looking for a new Laptop and was expecting to load and run my existing version of Office on it

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Ah MS Money... I was sad to leave it behind.
Same with PhotoDeluxe - just worked for me... kept it going on Win7 but my computer guru has just updated [won't say upgraded] me to W10.
Having enough trouble getting my head around getting current software to work without checking out the 'legacy' stuff yet.

I'm very happy with my Chromebook for the majority of my undemanding needs.
Asus 302CA Flip... Love the instant on & long battery life.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I use Office for Mac which I can download for free from GLOW the education platform.
Love my iMac which I run with Chrome ... the 27 inch screen got me through lockdown.
Only a MS might have been better as I could have ā€˜writtenā€™ on a whiteboard.
Just bought a MacBook Air in time for our second lockdown as this time Iā€™ll have to teach from in school I think, and school tech isnā€™t as good as my own.
Not keen on chromebooks or maybe itā€™s just that the ones we supply the kids with are a bit clunky.

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
I also don't like 'renting'software but it looks like the world is heading that way. I also used to use MS Money on Windows, but now use Banktivity on my Mac. I don't use all of its features, but it was easy to pick up and it lets me keep track of how much money I don't have and how much less I am predicted to have over the coming month(s).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The program I must keep going is the very last UK version of MS Money for which I have not been able to find a competent replacement.
'er indoors uses that has our accounts on it going back over 20 years. I've been using Linux for the last year.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've never understood why anyone would want to dump a tried and tested computer with a fully supported operating system in favour of a much more expensive one

Depends what you call expensive John, we have 10 year old Macbooks handed down in the family that for basic functionality perform better than some laptops you can buy today.

The laptop I'm typing this on hasn't been rebooted this year not once. Performance and use-ability is worth paying for otherwise we would all be camping in tents :D

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Have used both systems switched to Apple 10 yrs ago and wouldn't go back to windows, one size doesn't fit all but given the choice I think the Mac O/S is far superior to windows.

We run Microsoft Office on all our Apple Mac's with no problems also use Pages.

As we have iphone and apple tv it makes easy as everything talks to everything else.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Will the pages and numbers programs load and allow you to edit existing MS Word and Excel documents?
Apple make it very easy. Right click on the Excel document, then click open with and then click Numbers. The microsoft document will convert to numbers and open. My wife often creates numbers documents and then uses Export to send them to others in an Excel format.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I moved to Apple a decade ago after having a 'hissy fit' with Windoze.
It was an expensive move: Not only is Apple hardware a premium, but you need different versions of software (Adobe, MS Office, ...)
It also took some time to adapt to the new environment.
Apple is more stable and has good support. I'm on my fourth now, because I chase the improvements, but one of my first ones is still in use. I'd not go back but neither would I recommend Apple to others unless price was not an issue.
Numbers and Pages are good, as is Photos and the raft of other software bundled-in for no additional charge. I still use MS Office but it's not quite the same on Mac as Win. There are features in them that I like to use, otherwise I can do much the same using the provided software - they'll read and write Office files when you need to (with a few losses).
I ported some Win software that had no Mac equivalent to Parallels on Mac but there are other (and cheaper) ways to run Win apps if you need to.

Deleted User
If you have a Gmail address try Google Drive, everything is there.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Windows -v- Apple. I think it is fair to say that I am reasonably skilled with Windows. I currently use Windows 10 and run mostly Microsoft software on my laptops. However, I need a new laptop and I have have been thinking of moving over to Apple. I am pretty sure that one particular MS program that I must keep using will not run under Apple but I can find a work around.

If I buy a new windows machine I will also need a MS Office set of software. Is it the same if I buy an Apple, i.e. will I need a raft of Apple software to cover word processing, spread sheets, etc, etc, or does the Apple machine come fully loaded?

Cheers

Roger
Not sure if this helps links to returns page
but there is links on the page to usual policy outside christmas
used to be 30 day trial return for full refund (y)

šŸ‘šŸ‘
you can purchase Microsoft for Mac if you wish or could :blush:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Or a Chromebook...

No far from correct. Apple have been at the forefront of computer programming that IS the most user friendly system out there. There are some that are either so used to their usual systems or unable to change where the effort of swapping over will be too much of an issue for them and therefore out weigh any benefit. If you are able to initially put a toe in water you will never look back.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You can still buy MS Office outright rather then renting it. I am still using Office 2007 and it does everything I need. The most important bit is Outlook for me.

I am using MS Money as well and am very pleased with it. I am self employed and use it for my tax accounts as well as using it for all of our private accounts and investments. I got a free download of the MS Money "twilight version" when I changed to Windows 7 and could no longer run my old Quicken on it. Now much prefer it. It is still available for free download if anybody wants a good Windows based accounts package.

PS. I would stay with the devil you know if I was you. The rest of our family are all Apple converts, but I don't like the closed garden that is forced onto you. OK as a retail product, but Windows is much more flexible. I now have a Microsoft Surface Pro and I can, and do, use it as a Tablet, Laptop or a Desktop at different times without any real comprises. If I was to change I would just buy the latest version of this same system. Not cheap but no more expensive than Apple.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
You can still buy MS Office outright rather then renting it. I am still using Office 2007 and it does everything I need. The most important bit is Outlook for me.

I am using MS Money as well and am very pleased with it. I am self employed and use it for my tax accounts as well as using it for all of our private accounts and investments. I got a free download of the MS Money "twilight version" when I changed to Windows 7 and could no longer run my old Quicken on it. Now much prefer it. It is still available for free download if anybody wants a good Windows based accounts package.

PS. I would stay with the devil you know if I was you. The rest of our family are all Apple converts, but I don't like the closed garden that is forced onto you. OK as a retail product, but Windows is much more flexible. I now have a Microsoft Surface Pro and I can, and do, use it as a Tablet, Laptop or a Desktop at different times without any real comprises. If I was to change I would just buy the latest version of this same system. Not cheap but no more expensive than Apple.
not sure what this mythical closed wall garden is that is referred to? Haven't ever come across it within an Apple environment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back