Wild Wind

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
The wind is blowing. My WildAx PVC is letting in a massive draft through the vents around the fridge. Brrr. This is new to me as my other van didn't do that.
I've tracked down winter vent covers after advice from WildAx. Leisure Shop Direct seem to supply them. Here's the question I need help with please. How do they work, apart from the obvious? When do I fix them on and can I leave them in place with the fridge working ? Does anyone know of other good suppliers? Thanks for any help you can suggest.

68c

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Wind should not be able to blow around the frudge. It should be seales to prevent the fumes when running on gas from the entering the van. There should be a frame, usually with a sponge rubber seal to stop any wind and fumes blowing in. The winter covers merely ensure the fridge does not get too cold and stop working and to lessen the chance of the flame being blown out. The frame is easy for the converter to fit with a C class body, not so easy with the curved PVC van wall which is why some do not make a very good job of it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
My fridge vents are open to the elements as well - plays merry hell with dust on the cutlery in the drawer beneath the sink - it was acceptable in the 90s and creates terrible heat in the summer and cold in the winter!

If you have the usual upper and lower vent to the exterior at the back of your fridge, then your covers should simply clip on over these onto the exterior vents. Assuming your fridge runs also on gas, then the top vent might not be as wide and has 1/5 given over to the exhaust, which remains open to the exterior, but which will not be open to the inside of the van. it should help with your interior heating as the warmer air extracted from the fridge by the heat exchanger should stay inside the van!

if you are in a freezing draught and the vent covers don't fit, as an emergency measure, get a roll of sellotape and some clingfilm - cut a bit of newspaper a bit bigger than your exterior vent dimensions and cut some clingfilm to approximately the same size and preferably of one piece.

Very carefully sellotape this in place on the exterior of the van - using 5-6 positioning pieces of tape will help you get it up before you try and seal it to the exterior wall of the MH around the whole edge of the clingfilm, excluding the fridge exhaust. NEVER cover a fridge exhaust vent - always leave that part open.

It looks like a pig's ear and is very far from permanent but should stop the draughts for a night or two!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Do you have a compressor fridge or a three-way fridge (i.e. gas, mains electric, 12V powered fridge)?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
My winter vent covers were to be used at anything below 8C I think, or possibly 10C on our 3 way fridge. Cannot remember the make but very common in Swift etc. I recall the temperature as I was surprised how high it was for them to be used, almost all year here in the U.K. 😜

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Back in 2017 when I bought my Wildax, I had a draught from around the fridge, the seal as mentioned about has come adrift and needed refitting. No problems since.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If the fridge is operating on gas, don't be tempted to fully seal the external vents as you'll risk carbon monoxide fumes in the van.

As other have said the fridge compartment rear, to the outside vents should be sealed from the interior of the MH which in turn means when on gas those fumes can't get to the main habitation area. If you have a draught, it's apparent the compartment isn't sealed properly, a significant risk to you. My van had a recall specifically as there was a concern the seals may be inadequate

Ensure your carbon monoxide detector is working properly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There should be no draught around the fridge. It should be sealed. Not for your comfort, but for your safety to avoid carbon monoxide fumes, which can kill you in your sleep.

There was a recent thread on this:
and I contributed post #20, which I hope explains what I mean.

For what it's worth, I think any covering on the external vents makes the danger worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
Great thoughts. My fridge was taken out late last year as it needed a repair. I'll try and find out what has happened. I am very careful to keep the carbon monoxide monitor in good order. I think I might use a winter vent if on hook up but NOT if on gas.

Thanks folks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back